Father’s Day pea protection

Wilksy II

Agaman has been trying to get me on his peas for a couple of weeks, Sunday’s have been our best chance of meeting but I’ve been busy with family stuff, and today was no different but we both put a shift in with our broods and arranged to meet at 4pm, pigeons are definitely on the peas and agamans farmer was keen to get them shifted, he’s been going most evenings, short and sweet sessions and this was to be the same, we found a good few on the second field we looked at and set up a flapper,magnet and three dead bods on cradles, with our backs to hedge and the wind right to left,the birds came back nicely in small groups.

Agaman was too kind insisting on letting me shoot as he had been doing a fair bit recently, but I was feeling the pressure and fluffed my first few chance, but then I dropped one and slowly settled in, Agaman  eventually took some shots mainly to try some new steel shot carts which shed no more light on steels ability to clean kill with some very strange behaviour from shot birds.

we shot till 8:15pm and as a sea roke had moved in making everything damp we decided to pack up, even though the birds were still moving,final bag was 28 picked, which provided me more sport that I’ve had in awhile but more than that it was great to have a catch up and a natter with Agaman, a true gent! ( pics to follow)

Great report Wilksy, I know the write up is not you're strong point so well done pal.

Yes it was great to catch up, we have been meaning to do this for sometime. Considering the pigeons are being shot at all over the county they decoyed very well. We could have easily shot more if we had gone to other land but this farmer was keen for us to shoot.

The setting was lovely and the banter and chat was effortless. I thoroughly enjoyed our little session and it was nice to have the dogs out too. Wilksy now has a see through scrim on his hide {can't imagine where he got that idea!}.

We actually picked 29 but regardless the evening was a real treat and the shooting just a bonus. I enjoyed you're company wilksy thanks.:good:

20180617_193807.jpg

20180617_193922.jpg

20180617_202045.jpg

Edited by aga man

That is the type of afternoons I like , winding the day down , having a yarn and a bit of sport thrown in for good measure , and shooting 28 was nothing to sneeze at , talk about sneezing , this time of the year I suffer from the conventional hay fever , I don't mind the sneezing bit but if I rub my eyes I sometimes see two pigeons come in when there is only one and nine times out of ten I fire at the wrong one :lol:

What stage are your Peas at , ours are now getting small pods through the flowers , still nothing on them though..

P S .... I have just seem your photos , so it answer the question about the stage of your peas

2 minutes ago, marsh man said:

What stage are your Peas at , ours are now getting small pods through the flowers , still nothing on them though..

Thanks mm. The peas have been in approx. 3 weeks. The problem I have is a very sizable acreage has all been drilled in one area. To kill a big bag you generally would need to organise a few guns out on a windy day to keep them moving. With things as they are shifting dead birds etc, rotating shot fields and killing 30 or so is enough to keep the pigeons off for a bit and keep the farmers happy.

9 hours ago, aga man said:

Thanks mm. The peas have been in approx. 3 weeks. The problem I have is a very sizable acreage has all been drilled in one area. To kill a big bag you generally would need to organise a few guns out on a windy day to keep them moving. With things as they are shifting dead birds etc, rotating shot fields and killing 30 or so is enough to keep the pigeons off for a bit and keep the farmers happy.

You are doing a brilliant job aga man and I am sure your farmer know you are doing your best , its not easy fitting in a full time job , family life and the other bits and pieces needing doing to pay the bills and run a happy household .

Good job the days are long and you can get a few hours in during these Summer evenings , I enjoy the countryside for what it have to offer ,so in some ways I spend more time looking than I do shooting now as its now all about sport and not numbers , and like they say , you can have to much of a good thing.