Pleasantly surprised and shocked.

Finally finished the block of Winchester22RF subs.  It is only in the last three years that I have shot a lot of 22RF so had this block of 500 for some time.

Found them a good cartridge which shot well in my Marlin 880.  Went to buy another 500 this morning and shock horror no Winchesters !!!  A variety of choices including some expensive 'fragmentation'

and that is where the shock came.  I chose the CCI 22LR HP standard CCI which came to £80 for 500 ...... yes your going to tell me I could have got cheaper elsewhere but would have used the difference in petrol to get there.  I cannot remember what I paid for the last lot but I am sure no where near todays price.  At 16p a shot, no wastage of these on paper, it has to be soft and furry.   The surpise was when I went to re zero. These CCIs printed just a half inch above where my old Winchesters did at 50yrds so I left as is.

I've still got over 1000 Winchester X 40gr. I have used this brand since the 1980's, and have found it to be well suited for my BRNO #2 ( now sold) and my CZ452. I'm not sure what I paid for them, but they are quite a few years old. They are left out of a batch of 1500 that I purchased.

8 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Just to put in in context, when my two sons were living at home and used to come shooting with me to my club we could get through 500 CCI blazers in a night and they were £19 a brick. Not that long ago either, the youngest is only 22 now

I've recently bought 2 X 500 lots of Blazer ammunition from 2 different RFD's and paid £35 / £32.