best powder for 243

Really you have to work something out with Vhit or Swiss to be assured of continuity.

Even if they are not banned the other American powders can have long gaps in the supply already and I sense that will become more of a problem once the list gets a lot shorter

Edited by Vince Green

On 18/06/2018 at 16:03, steve_b_wales said:

I'm using Vihtavuori N150 with good results. H4895 is also good, but is soon to be 'banned'.

Non REACH compliant powders were "banned" from being imported from the 1st of this month. So what's on the dealers' shelves is it. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Choices choices... V 160 or 165... RE 19 or 22   if you can get them.    then balance your loads on the target and don't always believe faster is better. Over 40 odd years I have often found the sweet spot mid range and the deer/fox/wild boar etc etc never noticed the difference.

I'm actually using R15 for my .308 with 150grn bullet. I think R19 and especially R22 may be a little slow for a 100 grn .243 with a barrel less than 24 inches.

As you say fast doesn't mean better, but those are slow powders more suited for .30-06 etc using heavier bullets.:good:

10 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

I am getting very good results using Ramshot Hunter powder for 100 Grain SP using both Remington and PPU bullets.

Ramshot powders are made in Belgium so should be OK  The trouble is they have to go all the way to the States and all the way back to here

On 20/06/2018 at 10:16, Vince Green said:

Ramshot powders are made in Belgium so should be OK  The trouble is they have to go all the way to the States and all the way back to here

Most of the Hodgdon powders (as I understand) are made in Australia and bulk shipped to the USA for repackaging and distribution to Europe. So even farther.

Vit powder is made in Finland so still have to ship a distance.

Swiss powders, self explanatory.

Other powders are of course available, but none are now made in Britain. 

Problem seems to be the redistribution  within Britain, what with it`s transportation by special courier requirements, what a farce.

Edited by Flyboy1950

On 20/06/2018 at 09:50, Graham M said:

I'm actually using R15 for my .308 with 150grn bullet. I think R19 and especially R22 may be a little slow for a 100 grn .243 with a barrel less than 24 inches.

As you say fast doesn't mean better, but those are slow powders more suited for .30-06 etc using heavier bullets.:good:

Just checked and listed as top choice in my Hornady Manual.  Do not load for a 243 Win these days but used to load a lot back 15 -20yrs ago and amzingly deer still fell over as did foxes.

Edited by Walker570

10 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Flyboy if you are in Bristol you are not far from HPS who are very good for Vhit and Swiss

I used to call into HPS to buy Vit powders as they were 10.00 a kilo cheaper than any one else, but the last few months they are about the same as New Avon Arms or Dauntsey guns. They are still the best for Murom primers though, much cheaper and I buy around 3000 to 5000 a time. I usually combine the visit there with a shooting forey into South Derbyshire so as not to make a special trip other wise the financial benefit is lost.