cheese board and cheese knife.

mel b3

evening guys.

ive been messing about with my new forge today , ive made a knife to go with a cheese board that ive made for a mate. its my first attempt so be gentle with me.

the knife was made from a coil spring by the way.

20180618_150920_resized_1.jpg

29 minutes ago, snow white said:

Hi mel not bad if you are thinking of making a nother on give me first dibs knife and board.tony

will do tony , im already thinking of the mkII version , itll be a bigger board , with dimples to sit pickled onions in , and a stand for the knife.

20 minutes ago, la bala said:

I reckon thats a top notch first effort mel, well done you.

thank you very much chief .

6 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Good effort and hat off to you for having a go 

now we need pictures of 

the forge 

the anvil 

and the burns on your hands ??

all the best 

of 

The forge is just a cheap propane job from Lithuania,  now that I've seen how simple they are to make , I'll make the next one myself.

The anvi'l is a piece of railway track , generously given to me by nev.

I only got a couple of tiny burns from flying scale ,but my back is killing me from hanging over the anvil.

I'll try to do pics when I can , I wanted to put a couple of pics on of walking sticks that lin has pyrographed. I'm not sure why but we can only do a couple.

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Honour Mark, mel. That is really nice.

Not just a pretty face is he

I'm very very pretty and you know it ?.

Now that I've done one , I reckon that my next one will be much better.

because of my cussedness...i would never use that as a cheese board......................

i would have that on the worktop 24/7 and have it as a dedicated herb chopping board...as i try to use fresh herbs everyday...

i really like that...................what is it with the english/british................they are never happier than when they are bloody fiddling about making stuff....:hmm::lol:

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

because of my cussedness...i would never use that as a cheese board......................

i would have that on the worktop 24/7 and have it as a dedicated herb chopping board...as i try to use fresh herbs everyday...

i really like that...................what is it with the english/british................they are never happier than when they are bloody fiddling about making stuff....

i also have ideas for a herb chopper, in fact , i have dozens of ideas , but just not enough time.

i love making things from scrap , the knife was made from the coil spring on a car , and the board was some old firewood that i rescued from my woodstore . i love your type of precision engineering(everything looks so crisp and perfect), but for myself i enjoy the rough and ready (no tape measure) kind of thing.

12 hours ago, figgy said:

Looks very nice MEL, the new trend and my wife loves them is the long plank serving boards with a knife.

i have the urge to make a few of these long boards , and a set of steak knives.

11 hours ago, la bala said:

This may help your back mel.

Capture anvil.PNG

absolutely fantastic , thank you very much , my anvil is about 12" low at the moment .

11 hours ago, snow white said:

You can get some wood of your land make life a lot easyer for you.

i have a few tons of oak to get cut to size and left to season, finding time to do it is the problem.

34 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

yeah like the sound of the mk11 

i havent made the mkII yet , and i already have ideas for the mkIII lol.