Camper vans and motor homes

Mungler

It must be my age but I keep find myself browsing camper vans / motor homes.

So then, can you get anything half tidy and reliable for sub £10k?

The prices seem crazy - get a very uninteresting Fiat / Peugeot / Ford diesel, throw in a sort of bunk bed, a sink from a dolls house and a cassette toilet for a dwarf and hey presto it’s worth more than four time more than the base van equivalent.

Still need these for a tow vehicle for your caravan ( unless you are a traveller)

27 minutes ago, Mungler said:

It must be my age but I keep find myself browsing camper vans / motor homes.

So then, can you get anything half tidy and reliable for sub £10k?

The prices seem crazy - get a very uninteresting Fiat / Peugeot / Ford diesel, throw in a sort of bunk bed, a sink from a dolls house and a cassette toilet for a dwarf and hey presto it’s worth more than four time more than the base van equivalent.

Must admit to a sneaky fancy for an A type Hymer, so ugly they are gorgeous.

6 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I’m only 36 and want a caravan .

camper van is a no no for me. Insurance, mot, tax and it’s expensive.

agreed, at least you park up a caravan and use your vehicle to go down the shop, camper vans seem to be driven like dinner is on the table, 

Camper vans are a PIA wont park in an ordinary parking bay, can't go in most car parks and cost a fortune, depreciate like mad and cant be serviced by most ordinary garages.. Then when you get to where you are going you are stuck in  the campsite in it with no transport to get around. Trying to use them for everyday transport is impractical. buy a caravan and something to tow it.

If you spend a bit more around 17-20k you can get something in good nick around 10 years old. There are plenty that have hardly been used and the easiest way to tell online is by the mileage. Have a few years with it and sell it on again for pretty much what you paid for it.

If it's big enough to be comfortable it will be too big for use as transport when on holiday. My grandparents have had them for years but mainly use public transport when away. Personally I find the van conversion things far too small.

We service, repair and modify VW campers and they have gone through the roof. Anything under 15 - 20 K will want work (these are the 1970 - 1980s models) they are slow and thirsty. The 50s and 60s models make 20, 30, 40, 50 grand regularly and it's not difficult to get above those numbers. We had one in recently that the guy had done 130K on it, not with us unfortunately. So much as I love them and they can totally change your life, unless you win the lottery, stay clear of the VW market. Sorry but I have no knowledge of any other makes, but lack of use is often an issue, parts start seizing up and corrosion creeps in. Fiat's I would imagine are like any Fiat, thin tin and cheaply put together. American stuff may be better, but as mentioned before, size could create problems. If you shop around and take someone who knows what they are looking at, you may get an 80s or 90s VW type 25 for your budget, but this time of year is the wrong time to buy. If you're anywhere near Southend and find something, I may be able to take a look for you. Best of luck.

Neighbour has a Fiat Arapaho for sale at £21k. It’s an 04 plate and has 10k on the clock. Must admit I’m tempted but would have to sell 110 to fund it so doubt it’s gonna happen.

Another mate has a Hymer he’ll be selling as soon as NZ open their doors again. He’s been all over Europe in it and had a whale of a time. He says the only downside is that unless you strap your motorbike to the back it’s a case of having to stash everything away each time you want to do a bit of sight seeing. Still tempted though.

Think it’s an age thing.

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

If your any good at mechanics then buy a van and kit it out yourself.

There are real problems with doing that these days apparently. Two reasons, if its not a commercial conversion its hard to get it insured, when you declare it as modified it goes into silly mode. Secondly re-registering a commercial vehicle as a motorhome is apparently near on impossible, DVLA are very uncooperative.

I have had cravans in the past and relatives a Motorhome i have dirven on occasion and the modern ones are quite nice to drive. Plus point for a motorhome is you can park up anywhere and no site fees. Others have stated some of the downsides. One of which is you can buy a car and caravan for less than the cost of a motohome.

47 minutes ago, Scully said:

Neighbour has a Fiat Arapaho for sale at £21k. It’s an 04 plate and has 10k on the clock. Must admit I’m tempted but would have to sell 110 to fund it so doubt it’s gonna happen.

Another mate has a Hymer he’ll be selling as soon as NZ open their doors again. He’s been all over Europe in it and had a whale of a time. He says the only downside is that unless you strap your motorbike to the back it’s a case of having to stash everything away each time you want to do a bit of sight seeing. Still tempted though.

Think it’s an age thing.

I remember back in the 80s seeing a Helicopter being towed behind a motor home in Florida.

I must admit i have toyed with idea.

We used to do 3 weeks Surfing in Newquay every year, when we first started a Static caravan could be hired for around £350 a week, when it hit £500 we decided on the camper or caravan route.

I had a look around but as said unless you want to bob £20k up you dont really get a lot for your money and end up with the associated rust and mechanical problems, we opted for a £1500 caravan and its paid for itself in 2 trips (its about £500 for 3 weeks on a site) compared to hiring a static. If you get a site near where you ant to be a camper shouldn't be a problem but we have had people pop over asking to borrow tins, washing powder, milk and the like as packing up to make a quick trip to the shop isn't feasible (all the borrowd items were replaced i have to say)

Depending on your use you would probably be better off  hiring one for a week at at time from a company rather than buy and have it sat around whilst having to insure and tax it.

The only exception i would make (and will do when its time for a new car) would be to buy a VW pre converted ex demo with the isofix seat bed, they can be had for about £30k ex demo with the pop roof and can double up as a capable family waggon whilst still (just) being able to get into car parks 

My cousin has just emigrated to Denver. I’ve asked him to have a look as the Yank version of RV Autotrader and see what’s about - they’ve been far deeper and for far longer into the RV thing and I wouldn’t mind buying one next year, having a mince about the States for a few weeks and then getting it shipped.

We've just driven from Surrey to Le Mans in convoy including a brand new Ducato motorhome. It did 18mpg, and could only muster 65mph at best - more like 50mph on the teeniest bit of uphill gradient.

It was nice inside admittedly, but not worth that kind of aggro or expense. 

Here's the wisdom, if you can call it that, which I've gleaned from doing a bit of research on it myself. 

VW vans are seen as the 'coolest' and hold their value best due to endless people getting into the surfer lifestyle, whether as an actual surfer or a wannabe. 'Coach built' vans are always going to be roomier but the trade-off for more space is less movement/flexibility. If you don't want to learn how to repair it yourself by the roadside on a regular basis it seems to me that you're going well north of £20k. Given they do hold their value and the decent ones seem to get snapped up, a savvy purchase could cost little more in real terms than the running costs. One make I like the look of is these. View it like moving savings about? 

I reckon a lot depends on your actual mode of use. What I mean is, if you're only going to use it for 'proper' holidays, where you are going to do a fair bit of visiting other places, a caravan might be best, or even a large motorhome with bikes or even a small moped to go do the shopping/mugging. 

However, if it's frequent weekends away and short-notice trips where you aren't bothered about moving much once you've arrived where you're going, or a bit of wild camping, then with a bit of organisation you can keep the van more or less ready to go at not much notice pop off somewhere whenever you feel like it. 

If I do end up getting one I'll hire a few first and see how it goes. 

I recently sold my bay window camper to make way for a caravan as we decided we'd sooner have a base camp and drive to places in the car rather than having to upsticks every time you want to go anywhere. Had ten years of holidays and been to the four corners of the UK but as you get older you like a bit of comfort!