I need shotgun restorer suggestions

zebadee73

I recently inherited a 1906 side by side Charles Hellis. It has the box etc but has lost a few bits and bobs in the interim.

However, can anyone reccommend a gunsmith that would recondition the stock and generally give the gun a good clean as well as checking the barrels. I will also need the case to be restored as well.

Its a job of work and may need a few craftsmen but I'm happy to get it done.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer by way of suggestions.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Casemakers and gunsmiths are not necessarily the same thing so you may need to look around but hopefully the gunsmith will know someone who will restore tastefully the one I used in Brum for a Purdey case has now retired. I tend to do my own cases internally leaving the externals to experts if it more than feeding the leather.

1 minute ago, zebadee73 said:

Hi Dave, the internals are ok, but the external leather is knackered.

I have an idea, I will post some photos of the project as it progresses in case it is useful for others i.e. before and after.

It's always good to see the progress made in restoring guns, cases etc so look forward to seeing your photos in due course.

OB

9 minutes ago, zebadee73 said:

Hi Dave, the internals are ok, but the external leather is knackered.

I have an idea, I will post some photos of the project as it progresses in case it is useful for others i.e. before and after.

It's always good to see the progress made in restoring guns, cases etc so look forward to seeing your photos in due course.

PM sent regarding Hellis records if not already in possession of them.

OB

On 20/06/2018 at 18:28, CharlieT said:

And me.

+ another one. However,  a temporary heads up. Just at the moment there's a back-log of work. Having recognised that they were getting busy - in part due to PW recommendations - a vacancy for another 'smith was placed but it proved difficult to find someone suitable. But not impossible and the successful applicant started work last week. With 3 at the bench, I'm told that this should be resolved in short order. I hope so as my Webley and Scott after 2 months is hopefully nearly at the front of the queue.

May I suggest that having done many hundreds of renovations on all manner of shotguns that you first consider that with any restoration work , cost can run away with you . I always advised customers to set a budget first . This then allowed me to work out what I thought wold be the best way of achieving the best out come ,whether it be re blacking ,re checkering etc. within that price to . It was then up to you to say yes do what you think best or no I want this ,this and this . Your choice .

It was always my intention to make a elderly gun look "well cared for " , rather than "done up", as I have seen far to many old guns over renovated and often looking worse IMHO than they did before ant work took place 

Before commencing any work a thorough  inspection would /should be made so there were no nasty surprises such as loose ribs ,cracked stocks or previously broken and repaired parts .

27 minutes ago, Gunman said:

May I suggest that having done many hundreds of renovations on all manner of shotguns that you first consider that with any restoration work , cost can run away with you . I always advised customers to set a budget first . This then allowed me to work out what I thought wold be the best way of achieving the best out come ,whether it be re blacking ,re checkering etc. within that price to . It was then up to you to say yes do what you think best or no I want this ,this and this . Your choice .

It was always my intention to make a elderly gun look "well cared for " , rather than "done up", as I have seen far to many old guns over renovated and often looking worse IMHO than they did before ant work took place 

Before commencing any work a thorough  inspection would /should be made so there were no nasty surprises such as loose ribs ,cracked stocks or previously broken and repaired parts .

Lot of wisdom there ! Seen far too many good honest guns `improved` by Sid the stock sander & Pete the polisher et all.

Nothing looks worse than metal proud of woodwork and garishly bright metalwork imho.

Edited by matone
spelling !

1 hour ago, matone said:

Lot of wisdom there ! Seen far too many good honest guns `improved` by Sid the stock sander & Pete the polisher et all.

Nothing looks worse than metal proud of woodwork and garishly bright metalwork imho.

Ain't that a fact, especially if you throw in a gleaming stock covered in '10 gauge' -  this is not a calibre but a metal thickness. These are the first ones I pass by when looking for something - a shame really as as said it could be a good honest gun ruined.

• 4 weeks later...

20180717_005238-1008x756.jpg.967029f8b69e36e4f7ce1d535bfb4d18.jpgThese are the shots of the Hellis and its case before what I hope is a sympathetic restoration that is likely to take almost two years.

20180717_004711-756x1008.jpg

20180717_005245-1008x756.jpg

20180717_004822-1008x756.jpg

20180717_004725-1008x756.jpg

A few close up shots of the gun to show the general state of repair and also the quality of workmanship from a 'second tier' maker from 1900s

20180717_004601-1008x756.jpg

20180717_004956-756x1008.jpg

20180717_004604-1008x756.jpg

20180717_004811-1008x756.jpg

20180717_004939-1008x756.jpg

20180717_005257-1008x756.jpg

20180717_004759-1008x756.jpg

20180717_004937-1008x756.jpg

20180717_005000-756x1008.jpg

20180717_004927-1008x756.jpg

When you have it restored please do not put in back in that grotty old case unless you have that done as well .It will risk marking the gun and make the case look worse .

I did a nice pair of Dicksons some time back and point blank refused to put them in a case of similar condition  the customer brought in when came to collect them .

But maybe thats just me .