I need shotgun restorer suggestions

zebadee73

8 hours ago, zebadee73 said:

The gun took 5 attempts to pass proof, none of which major.

Good for you in persisting - and it looks wonderful.  A credit to those who worked on it.

I have heard that it is much harder to get proof these days, and I don't really understand why - in that I have not heard of any instances of guns recently having passed proof subsequently failing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re steel... I would definitely say no. In fact I was advised that despite it passing proof there is no need to start shoving 32g 6's down the barrels which makes sense.

A 1960's Porsche could do 90 miles an hour, but why unless you have to? Same logic I think applies to any mechanical device that has serious age and wear on it.

On the lead ban, I would suspect that guns of an age may be exempt if and when it is applied.

Just my two cents.

Edited by zebadee73
Update

On 22/06/2018 at 13:07, wymberley said:

+ another one. However,  a temporary heads up. Just at the moment there's a back-log of work. Having recognised that they were getting busy - in part due to PW recommendations - a vacancy for another 'smith was placed but it proved difficult to find someone suitable. But not impossible and the successful applicant started work last week. With 3 at the bench, I'm told that this should be resolved in short order. I hope so as my Webley and Scott after 2 months is hopefully nearly at the front of the queue.

Same heads up , they had a gun of mine when they moved premises i wouldnt go back to them(2 months is nothing)

On 12/01/2020 at 12:22, JJsDad said:

I wouldnt, but each to their own !

I think the general concensus is that steel should not be fired through damascus barrels.

I would not put steel through Damascus and have several Damascus barrelled guns. I have been told by a reputable gunmaker that extensive tests are being carried out on steel through traditional guns including Damascus. Even so I shall not be using steel in Damascus unless there is no alternative.

https://basc.org.uk/download/63109/

Using steel through damascus barrels is specifically NOT recommended and I don`t know of any trials that seek to change this. Damascus, when in good condition, is very strong, but steel shot introduces an element of lateral pressure into the balistic equation which Damascus, by the nature of its construction is not well placed to cope with. Couple this to the fact that any damascus barrel is now likely to be very old and unquantifiable metal fatigue creeps into the calculations.