which binoculars to buy

shawn9914

I am looking for a set of binoculars I want these for keeping in my motor home for looking at everything from wild life to boats out at sea etc,  the thing is I don't want to spend a fortune £50 ish second hand will do but not sure what to go for there are 1000's on ebay etc. Do I go for a cheaper new set or older 2nd hand, what mag do I go for sometimes I am looking at stuff way out at sea or on top of a mountain. There are cheap Chinese new ones out there but how clear will they be also what make of 2nd hand do I go for with decent clear optics the choices are endless.

Would I be better of with a spotting type scope on a tripod as these seem more powerfull and cheaper ???????

Any help appreciated as always

Cheers LB 

Edited by shawn9914

I would reccomend you go to a shop and try some out instead of buying blind. 

I have quite a few pairs of binoculars. From cheap to more expensive ..

And the ones i grab nearly 90% of the time are  a cheap nikon copy pair of 8 x32 than my dad gave me years ago .

They are light to carry and very clear .and fit into a pocket. Hence i have them with me when i need them ..

Bigger is rarely better when it comes to optics. 

Edited by Ultrastu

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the replies 

I still have not purchased any binoculars since I posted this as been using a cheap pair I had but I have blummin lost these yesterday and can't find them anywhere they were a cheap Chinese pair and were 30 x 40 mag

What mag would you suggest I go with now I have to replace the ones I have lost I have seen some on flea bay for under 40 quid they are 40 x 60 mag from china so similar the my old pair

Cheers

Have a look at Keppler stag 8x42 or 7 day shop 8x42 both under 50 quid new i have both and were fine till a big birthday got me some Leicas.As already stated old zeiss 8x30,s are excellent and theres always charidy shops Burton/Derby is awash with them and u get to view before u buy atb

]

7 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I was looking through a pair of £20 jobbies in Lidl the other day.
I was quite startled how clear they were, couldnt get beyond 300 yards through the windows in the shop, but worth a punt.

Yes I was pleasantly surprised by those, extremely good value, but no expensive lable!

On 21/06/2018 at 23:39, Saltings said:

old carl zeiss for me  I prefer really good optics and because they are old nobody wants them £30 to £60 on evil bay if you need to a refurbish and clean etc is not expensive cant go wrong 

Hi Saltings, If you can put me in touch with someone who can do this work at reasonable cost I would be grateful! I have a pair of GDR Zeiss, in need of a clean!........But Zeiss prices make it uneconomical!

23 hours ago, shawn9914 said:

Thanks for the replies 

I still have not purchased any binoculars since I posted this as been using a cheap pair I had but I have blummin lost these yesterday and can't find them anywhere they were a cheap Chinese pair and were 30 x 40 mag

What mag would you suggest I go with now I have to replace the ones I have lost I have seen some on flea bay for under 40 quid they are 40 x 60 mag from china so similar the my old pair

Cheers

If you want 30-40 x magnification (a lot!) a spotting scope and tripod is probably more appropriate. 

I have a set of 8x42 leicas which are fantastic but out of your price range, a Chinese 7x50 which are much lighter and nicer to carry but since getting the leicas the image feels awful. 

Edited by Wb123

Like most things the better the optic the more it costs

If you can stretch your  wallet take a look at the Bresser pirsch 10x42 on   www.birders-store.co.uk

Cheapest i can find at £179 plus free bird book worth £16.99 plus free delivery and life time warranty

I've a set of these and they are brilliant made in Germany

Well worth a look

52 minutes ago, sabel25 said:

Like most things the better the optic the more it costs

If you can stretch your  wallet take a look at the Bresser pirsch 10x42 on   www.birders-store.co.uk

Cheapest i can find at £179 plus free bird book worth £16.99 plus free delivery and life time warranty

I've a set of these and they are brilliant made in Germany

Well worth a look

are you sure they are made in Germany?

1 hour ago, andrewluke said:

are you sure they are made in Germany?

The Company are based in Germany run by Rolf Bresser

Set up in 1957 and make binoculars, microscopes, magnifiers, laser  rangefinders, spotting scopes and are one of the largest  manufactures in Europe and the world 

Edited by sabel25
addad more info