Dashboard lights

Benthejockey

Ok here’s hoping for an easy fix...hopefully.

Plugged in a trailer board to the 7pin plug today. The trailer has brake lights both sides and lights inc indicators on the left. It’s not my trailer so I don’t care if the lights never work really I’ll just get a trailer board for when I need to drive it. But the bitch is when I used it the right indicator went flat out like I’d got a bulb out but I haven’t. And when I braked the back lights on the dash board and the rear fog light warning light flashed and flickered on the dashboard. Driving today, flicked the lights on and I’ve got no illumination on the dash ie behind my speedo etc. I have got all the usual lights like handbrake, cruise control, full beams etc. So firstly what’s wrong do we think and secondly how do I fix it? I’m hoping it’s just a fuse? It’s a 14 plate L200. 

Got to be related to the trailer board wiring i'd say and probably cleared a fuse. Find the fuse box and check diagram to see if you can work out which one it is. Should be visible if it blown or test with a meter. It'll likely only be a 5 or 10amp fuse if you just want to go for lucky dip..

Unless you've accidentally dimmed the backlight down?

Found what should have been the offending fuse...but no luck. I went through and checked them all as a precaution and they’re all ok. Even the under the bonnet fuses. So now I’m wondering could it be that a short/dodgy connection in 7pin plug which has caused the lights to flash etc on the dash, has now confused the car into thinking the dash back lights are controlled by the 7pin plug and as it’s not in use the lights are also essentially turned off? If that makes any sense?

Sounds like a dodgy earth on the trailer, they can do all sorts of weird stuff. Also make sure the trailer plug is wired up right,I have known people wire them a mirror image of what they should be, so some lights work ok but the ones wired wrong send the rest mental!