Pick up interior lights

scotslad

Just wondering about my pick ups interior lights, everytime up open a door or turn the ignition key it lights up like a christmas tree.

I have blanked of my door sensor (so it never knows i've opened my door) which is better, althou i've twice left sidellights for short periods on as now no bleeper

Have thought about taking thre bulbs out which might be the next option, but quite handy having lights there when u want them.

My question is, i''ve took the whole light unit out the  now and was thinking about cutting 1 of the wires into it.

Fairly simple system (i think)) 3 wires come into it

a blue directly to lights (guessing negative) and a black directly to switch (guessing positive, althou may be back to front as colours throwing me) the switch wire then joins a 3rd greyish wire (guessing the signal wire from ignition/door) before going into lights.

So when ever the greyish signal wire OR the light switch are 'ON'' the lights will be on, so if i sniped the grey wire it would then rely on the switch to power lights.

A   Does that makes sense and sound like it should work (or am i missing something)

And B Am i likely to cause any electrical damage or stuff up the electrical sysyem as it senses a faults when lights should be on but aren't??.

I've just had a tow batr fitted and its not camb's? if that makes a difference

I could rejoin it with bullets/spades easily.

There already is switches to control the lights but the lights also go on every time the key is turned or any door opened (i'm guessing this in when the 3rd wire takes power to the lights and bypasses the light switch) So no matter how u push the switch lights stay on when door opened.

There is no permantly Off postition

So if i cut the 3rd wire it should stop the power/signal from the door/ignition and solely rely on the switch. Or atleast thats my thinking

Because the 3rd wire joins the 'ON' wire from the light switch and goes directly into the bulbs so effectively bypassing the light switches

Or atleast thats the way it looks to me

Could see it being ackward to get a switch on and the switch would be dangling about loose.

While its handy having an interior work light my last 2 work vans always had the light bulbs pulled out,  replaced them but quickly seen why they were pulled. The interior lights are funny with combo vans and sometimes stay on.for no reason.

I ended up just cable tying a LED light to the roof, not ideal but worked and better than coming out to a flat battery

Edited by scotslad

Aye between the lights and the bells when u open the door, bloody nightmare for sneaking up on anything.

This thing decides to lock the doors all the time while driving too,, another thing i'd disconnect if i could, a real pain opening gates or getting out/in constantly.

Got a feeling that could be complicated thou

Thankfully this 1 doesnae have a seat belt buzzer as that would just top the lot. 

Far to complicated now.all just more to break/go wrong and most is totally unneeded.

I reasonably certain if i snip this wire it will stop all feed in other than the light switch

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry not been back for a while, some computer problems.

I snipped the wire and everything seems to be working fine, so far...... So does running it with no lights in too.

Hopefully i won't get any problems but will be easy enough to join with connectors if needed.

Dunno about alarm i don't often lock it, doing well to take keys out of it most times