Caravans

walshie

I don't want to hijack Mungler's motorhome thread, so started this one.

I've never fancied a motorhome. I think a caravan would be preferable for us as it is one less lot of tax/MOT/insurance to worry about and once set up somewhere, you can unhitch the car and use it.

Question is, is there a particular brand of caravan that is best to look out for? More importantly, is there a brand that should be avoided at all costs?

Ta. 

34 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just avoid those with 2 wheels or more!

Yep... and if you must get one with wheels try to avoid using it on the A34 between Newbury and Southampton, the A303 between the M3 and Stonehenge and ideally the whole of Wiltshire. Cheers and happy camping!

I find it weird that at every opportunity on here we bash the folks that travel around the country towing these box's on wheels. 

And then we have a topic asking which are the best ones to get. Because you want to be a tinker for a week or 2. 

I can only suggest that you swallow your pride and get down to your local traveling site and ask a professional for their advice. 

Sorry needed to add a smiley ?

Edited by Dougy

3 minutes ago, Dougy said:

I find it weird that at every opportunity on here we bash the folks that travel around the country towing these box's on wheels. 

And then we have a topic asking which are the best ones to get. Because you want to be a tinker for a week or 2. 

I can only suggest that you swallow your pride and get down to your local traveling site and ask a professional for their advice. 

You might even get a free daaag with it.

I used to bash them a little then got a mrs whose parents have one.  We now borrow it regularly and I have to say quite enjoy it. Towed with my l200 it is easy at 65 so not much slower than without. Kids and dogs come with us and some of the sites are really good.

Things to look for are damp but other than that most things are pretty simple

I have been a caravan-er all my life mainly because we exhibit vintage vehicles at steam rallies and country shows. There is forum www.caravantalk.co.uk which is generally very good but it has the normal keyboard warriors and know-all-know-f**-alls.

To be honest caravans are much of a muchness there are no brands which are particularly worse than others. Generally you are actually better buying something a year or two old rather than new as the original owners will have sorted all the problems the manufacturers didnt pick up on their final inspection (glance over.) If looking slightly older then buy on condition rather than age and the big thing to look out for is damp as this is by far the most expensive and common thing to go wrong on caravans of all ages.

I say there are non worse than others but stay away from Fleetwood they are notorious for leaking and went bust a number of years ago for good reason. Also there was an era around early-mids 2000s where Bailey used a new sealant or construction method which hasnt stood the test of time.

No reason to follow the trend of driving half the speed limit, i have always had cars with plenty of grunt to tow the vans and certainly dont hang about.

Dont Buy a Hobby a Tabbard or the ones with funny windows made to look like small squares all the Gypsies have them. Very well built and nice caravans but some sites wont allow you on. 

Go for a Baily or any others with a metal frame construction as less to rot if it leaks.

Edited by figgy

Had tourers  for a while then went "static" on Speyside as that was where we holidayed ,only snag was I had to park in secure compound when not in use as if I parked at home local toe rags knew if it was missing so were we!The Story of Sprite caravans is worth researching, inventor was an aircraft fitter during 2nd war,used his skill to make fast assembly mass produced ;vans,They were so cheap compared to the opposition he towed one the length of Italy & back,to prove their strength, later he added an elevating roof to Musketeer. He then sold out & retired, Then bored he noticed no services on dual carriageways, So He started "Little Chef", same principle all the same format. 

We had caravans for years when the sprogs were smaller and went all over the UK and Europe and they were great but I would suggest -

A. Before you buy one make sure you have somewhere to store it and if that is not at your house make sure you can park it near to your house for loading / unloading.

B. Hire (or borrow) one before you commit to buy. There is a lot of work involved with caravans (loo & waste water emptying, water filling, cooking etc) so make sure the person doing these is happy.

C. This is the wrong time of year to buy. Out of season you will get much better prices.

D. Try and find someone packing it in or who had a bad holiday in one (preferably as near new as possible). Generally you can get all the expensive add-ons chucked in a package. We bought all of our (3) caravans over time like this and got real value for money.

Screw the knockers. 

The idea appeals but the practicalities dont for me.   Having spent many holidays camping under canvas always liked the freedom to come and go as you pleased.  Perhaps its the terror of reversing into passing places on single track Highland roads that puts me off, but I can well see why people like them.

Blackpowder

Imo "coachman" is the best make currently however they are a little geavy by comparison to similar vans, presumably because of the build quality. Lunar are lightweight but suffer from build quality issues and water ingress the same as all other makes these days. If your buying new then you are obviously covered by 7yrs or so warranty so after a few warranty jobs it will be sorted better than new. Go to a show such as the NEC were you can compare every make and model. Whatever you get buy from a local main dealer to avoid long journeys as and when faults develope. Oh, worth mentioning foreign makes such as "Adria" which are better built than UK stuff. ?

3 hours ago, al4x said:

I used to bash them a little then got a mrs whose parents have one.  We now borrow it regularly and I have to say quite enjoy it. Towed with my l200 it is easy at 65 so not much slower than without. Kids and dogs come with us and some of the sites are really good.

Things to look for are damp but other than that most things are pretty simple

Clarification. "It is easy at 65"     Years of age ? :good:       Or 65 MPH ? :no:

Budget to spend? That you would be comfortable at laying out first time

size you would like,how many people using/sleeping in it at one time

lay out,fixed bed single beds

what tow car do you have ?

there are some layouts on line that would give you an idea that maybe suitable 

theres never a wrong time of year to buy, one of the best bits of advice on here is buying from someone selling up