Caravans

walshie

17 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Budget to spend? That you would be comfortable at laying out first time

size you would like,how many people using/sleeping in it at one time

lay out,fixed bed single beds

what tow car do you have ?

there are some layouts on line that would give you an idea that maybe suitable 

theres never a wrong time of year to buy, one of the best bits of advice on here is buying from someone selling up

Definitely not brand new. Probably 5 or so years old. It'd only be for 2 people and 2 dogs, but I'd be looking at 4 berth as I couldn't be bothered to keep turning my bed into a table and vice versa.  I drive a Hilux so size isn't an issue.

We had a second hand Sprite alpine for donkeys years, towed it from Scotland to cornwall many times, lake district, cotswolds, peak district, dales, west coast of Scotland. Eventually it was scrapped for no other reason than we couldn`t get away much and no-one wanted to buy it as it was so old. No damp, and easy to tow.

We used to get lots of snobby looks from some people who had all the latest whistles and bells, but we had our £800 back many times over and could park it on a sixpence. We had a couple of days in the dales and watched as ever bigger vans and campers arrived, the winner was a tie between a family of 4 who took about 6 cuts to park their camper and then pressed buttons so the rooms expanded outwards and the satellite dish went up and a couple who had a big yank pick up truck fifth wheel and caravan, but not content with all that also had a benelli motor bike in a concealed hatch in the van. Why on earth would you want to leave home eh?

1 hour ago, henry d said:

We had a second hand Sprite alpine for donkeys years, towed it from Scotland to cornwall many times, lake district, cotswolds, peak district, dales, west coast of Scotland. Eventually it was scrapped for no other reason than we couldn`t get away much and no-one wanted to buy it as it was so old. No damp, and easy to tow.

We used to get lots of snobby looks from some people who had all the latest whistles and bells, but we had our £800 back many times over and could park it on a sixpence. We had a couple of days in the dales and watched as ever bigger vans and campers arrived, the winner was a tie between a family of 4 who took about 6 cuts to park their camper and then pressed buttons so the rooms expanded outwards and the satellite dish went up and a couple who had a big yank pick up truck fifth wheel and caravan, but not content with all that also had a benelli motor bike in a concealed hatch in the van. Why on earth would you want to leave home eh?

My First caravan was a small sprite,  bought It & towed home (first tow), parked,hand brake on , jockey wheel down,body jacks  down, ball hitch off , drove off & dewired van,left light plug in! Then a Thompson Glen Nevis, then a twin axle Cavalier, then moved to Highlands.I still like older vans,Always fancied a Cheltenham, very well built Better than Thompson, they were all named after Various antelopes I think

If your towing a four berth with a hilux you wont have an issue with holding people up. Ive just done a tour of the highlands with a swift 586 being towed by a Navara. Only had to stop to let the local postie past once but was getting held up by camper vans and slow driving tourists constantly who were reluctant to stop and let folk past.

23 hours ago, walshie said:

Definitely not brand new. Probably 5 or so years old. It'd only be for 2 people and 2 dogs, but I'd be looking at 4 berth as I couldn't be bothered to keep turning my bed into a table and vice versa.  I drive a Hilux so size isn't an issue.

Local rag,eBay,even a dealers that’s taken a trade in,4berth is the way to go we had two of us and two bloody great big labradors in ours.

now we’re down to one dog (patterdale terrier)don’t need to put an awning up now lol

i tow with a ranger so no problem for me either,I have one decent tip for you,forget the age of 5 years old go a bit more 8 should do and get a better spec than a newer one 

I bought a £2k one first to see if we would like it had it a year bought an 08 lunar  for £5k 1 year later had that 3 years traded it in and got £7k for it

in August mid season 

there are bargains out there to be had all year round