Warning

Good evening all has anyone had a warning from there flo for defending themselves I am a foreman in construction and have to deal with —-holes a lot of the time this **** went to hit me so I defended myself and then he called the police I spent the night in the cop shop and they let me go with no further action taken this was 3 week ago and today I got a call from my flo to turn the other cheek in future.what would the pigeon massive do in this situation I wonder

20 minutes ago, hugh hickey said:

Good evening all has anyone had a warning from there flo for defending themselves I am a foreman in construction and have to deal with a—-holes a lot of the time this **** went to hit me so I defended myself and then he called the police I spent the night in the cop shop and they let me go with no further action taken this was 3 week ago and today I got a call from my flo to turn the other cheek in future.what would the pigeon massive do in this situation I wonder

My son also in your line of work had an incident at work a few years ago, much the same outcome. Once we have those certificates we have to be squeaky clean, they have us over a barrel. I personal think if someone takes a swing at you, in self defence you should be able to drop them. But then I am old school :lol:

17 minutes ago, la bala said:

My son also in your line of work had an incident at work a few years ago, much the same outcome. Once we have those certificates we have to be squeaky clean, they have us over a barrel. I personal think if someone takes a swing at you, in self defence you should be able to drop them. But then I am old school 

I was also in charge of the building maintenance on the estate where I was employed , came up against all sorts , good , bad , black , white and everything in between , I must admit no one ever took a swing at me , but I can assure you I wouldn't have gave my s g c a initial thought , self defence would have kicked in and I would have took invasive action and worried about my s g c after the advent . right or wrong , that's the way it is .

I was under the impression that if you were under physical attack and feared for your safety, you could use reasonable force to protect yourself.......

Are they saying that if someone attacked you, if you are a licences gun owner, you must just let the attacker kick the **** out of you? And not defend yourself! Ridiculous!

11 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I was under the impression that if you were under physical attack and feared for your safety, you could use reasonable force to protect yourself.......

Are they saying that if someone attacked you, if you are a licences gun owner, you must just let the attacker kick the **** out of you? And not defend yourself! Ridiculous!

This.

13 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

I think a lot depends on how you defend yourself. Do you parry blows and use minimum force or go full steam ahead and beat seven shades of ***** out of your assailant? The OP's post; no offence, is a bit lacking in details. 

How does a victim judge how much force is reasonable in a given set of circumstances? If you are being attacked you just want to stop an attacker assaulting you! Whatever it takes!.......who then determines whether you used "reasonable" or unreasonable force?....if it comes to it, it's for the courts to decide, not the FLO or the police!

Yes I did drop him he was a inch from my face he drew back to punch me and I used my head if you know what I mean how can the Feo tell me to turn the other cheek that’s what gets me boiling 

The police were very good to me they could see it wasn’t my fault and were very apologetic for keeping me in the cells all nite it’s my new feo that’s a ****

There are many ways to ‘de-escalate’ a situation and if need be, defend ones self.

Head butting doesn’t in my opinion really come into that category, if as you say the gent only took a step back to throw a punch then I personally would say your reaction was a tad ‘overkill’ 

I asked a guy only last week to slow down past our workshop. The road is 8 yards wide and 30-40mph into a dead end is not safe. He got out the cab and threatened to punch me ??? I said to him I’ve only asked politely. My dad was gob smacked at the idiot. I’m looking after my staff.

last year I caught another group urinating up my container door where my staff have to open and work in it for our stock. That ended up with the police after he went for me. I asked nicely and always do . I have a right to protect my staff.

people are nuts of late.

It’s difficult because in the heat of the moment most people would do what they need to do....

After the event, head butting someone in case they threw a punch at you would probably be seen as overly aggressive especially as it’s difficult to punch someone if you that close to them and unfortunately this is all a fao or similar can make a call on.

Although it doesn’t feel like it, the outcome could have been worse

If you have time to see the build up to trouble then it is easy to make a decision, including the one to walk away, but in the second or two it can take for someone to react violently, your reactions take over and your tickets aren’t even given a thought. 

We have to live in the real world; and everyone ( including FEO’s) have qualifications in hindsight. 

I was a High Court Enforcement Officer, i was attacked on a number of occasions ranging form punches thrown ,to being stabbed with a 12 inch carving knife, if you are attacked then defend yourself, you can use reasonable force to protect yourself, you will get arrested initially while it is investigated,but as long as you followed the law then you have nothing to fear from defending yourself.
Remember that reasonable force does not mean battering them half to death, you use the force you need to be able to move away, or if unable to move away ,stop the threat.

My FEO told me he was glad i retired from the game, my file was rather large .

• 2 weeks later...

So say for example someone was going to stab you and you just have to say well I'm sorry I'm not allowed to defend  myself you will have to stab me to death. What a load of rubbish feo sounds like a ****. 

Obviously we don't go looking for trouble and we need to stay out of trouble but I think defending yourself shouldn't cause you problems.

Have always believed that the best martial art is nikejitsu, or "the way of adidas". Run like hell, don't be there when the fight happens.

Only problem is, I'm built like a VERY SLOW tank, so when running away I get overtaken by my assailant who then has time to dig a pit lined with stakes before i get there. 

So I use the other eastern technique associated with violence, which is to keep a VERY tight grip on my temper. I won't be attacked without defending myself, but it takes a LOT of provocation to make me forget my manners.

A pal just got his sgc, and we had a chat about it, as he has form for a few bits when he was a kid. We agreed we've no business getting into stupid arguments because a stranger has said nasty things about us, when it could lead to the old bill taking our guns.

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 19:55, panoma1 said:

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 20:07, CharlieT said:

This.

Correct, but we still don't know the absolute detail of the OP and regardless, as FAC/SGC holders we need to be a bit more sure of our circumstances than Joe Public.

:good:

The bloke defended himself and the FEO told him to keep his nose clean in future. 

Cant see anything wrong with that. 

People who constantly get into fights always say “it was self defence, I was afraid for my safety” often when they are the aggressor. 

I cant think of many industries where it would be acceptable to headbut an employee - if you had time to do that, did you not have time to take a step out of the way? 

If you genuinely defended yourself (as I’m sure you did) then you shouldn’t have a problem. As you still have your guns it sounds like the FEO has taken your side, but they’re basically saying it’s not something that should be happening frequently. Surely something like this doesn’t happen all the time at your work?

If you ‘have to defend yourself’ frequently, then they’re bound to ask - why does this person get into conflict so often? Some people like Welsh1 has pointed out have professional hazards - and they clearly supported him through many incidents like this as despite his “having a large file” it sounds like the FEO was alright with him. 

Now moving forward - don’t employ idiots like that - surely the bloke would be black listed from yours and other sites (probably wishful thinking). 

On 21/06/2018 at 05:32, Jaymo said:

There are many ways to ‘de-escalate’ a situation and if need be, defend ones self.

Head butting doesn’t in my opinion really come into that category, if as you say the gent only took a step back to throw a punch then I personally would say your reaction was a tad ‘overkill’ 

+1

I think you have been lucky, obviously the 'aggressor' has backed up your story and admitted he attacked you first, and you responded.
If it had been a different story, and you were shown to be provocative or overly aggressive in your response ie, you hit him more than once or caused him more serious injuries, I think you would have been revoked.
I believe everyone has the right to defend themselves, using whatever force is necessary to neutralise the threat.
Whatever that means, I would tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to owning firearms, BUT sometimes a fight goes completely out of control, resulting in death or serious ,life changing injury.
He could have knocked you out with the first punch, then stamped all over your head and killed you.
Like wise you could have knocked him to the ground, hitting his head on something, killing him.
Its easier to defend yourself in a court, when youre still alive, but attempting to de escalate the situation is easier still, especially from a legal/witness point of view.

But in this case, I wouldnt complain about the result, I think youve done alright out of it.
Id also refrain from slagging off FEOs on here too, you never know...