Alan Sugar tweet

old'un

I'm no fan of Alan Sugar, but I can't see that he did anything wrong here.  It was very clearly meant to be a joke and no one should have been offended.  Unfortunately, the country is full of people these days who are out scouring the media/social media/public life searching out ways in which they can be offended - then blow their trumpets about it.

Alan Sugar is a blunt speaking person, and that is actually (in my view) one of his better characteristics!

50 minutes ago, countryman said:

I am glad I spent my prime time in this country when you could talk openly about anything without this pc generation constantly kicking off. 

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I'm no fan of Alan Sugar, but I can't see that he did anything wrong here.  It was very clearly meant to be a joke and no one should have been offended.  Unfortunately, the country is full of people these days who are out scouring the media/social media/public life searching out ways in which they can be offended - then blow their trumpets about it.

Alan Sugar is a blunt speaking person, and that is actually (in my view) one of his better characteristics!

Alan Sugar, like many of us, is from a generation when you could speak freely without a tidal wave of condemnation from papers like The Grauniad who exist in a state of being perpetually poised on the verge of outrage, waiting for someone to say something they don't like, just so that they can publicly attach a label and condemn it.

I don't consider Sugar's comment to be racist but it is quite funny, albeit slightly offensive.

12 hours ago, sitsinhedges said:

Everything's racist these days dontchaknow?

Not everything but this one was or he wouldn't have apologised, nor would he have been chastised by so many including Anglo Saxons. 

1 hour ago, countryman said:

I am glad I spent my prime time in this country when you could talk openly about anything without this pc geraration constantly kicking off. 

Ah yes the good old days when casual racism was funny enough to make comedy series out of.

20 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I AM a big fan of him and luckily he's intelligent enough to have realised he did do something wrong, the trouble with casual racist jokes is that they ain't funny to both parties. 

7 minutes ago, Westward said:

Alan Sugar, like many of us, is from a generation when you could speak freely without a tidal wave of condemnation from papers like The Grauniad who exist in a state of being perpetually poised on the verge of outrage, waiting for someone to say something they don't like, just so that they can publicly attach a label and condemn it.

I don't consider Sugar's comment to be racist but it is quite funny, albeit slightly offensive.

I DO consider what he said to be demeaning, derogatory and unintentionally racist, the world will never improve if we don't start to consider others feelings as important. What's funny to you may well be extremely hurtful to others, it takes nothing to act kindly and considerately. 

13 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Just seems to me to be very one sided. And if those that don't see that, then i think your world is very small indeed. 

It is very one sided but whether you see that depends on what side of the fence you're sitting on. 

24 minutes ago, Hamster said:

I DO consider what he said to be demeaning, derogatory and unintentionally racist, the world will never improve if we don't start to consider others feelings as important.

I have to disagree.  It is only "demeaning, derogatory, racist" if you read it that way.  The world will never improve if people continually look for negativity and/or offence in these things, rather than taking things in good humour as they were clearly intended.  Just the view of an ageing, early retired, bald, spectacle wearing, short and slightly deaf, slighly overweight man - all of which can (and have been) be used in (good) humour to me and none of which offends me.  They are all true.

3 hours ago, Hamster said:

I DO consider what he said to be demeaning, derogatory and unintentionally racist, the world will never improve if we don't start to consider others feelings as important. What's funny to you may well be extremely hurtful to others, it takes nothing to act kindly and considerately. 

I have no doubt Sugar would be just as kindly and considerate to people from other countries and ethnic minorities as he is to "Anglo Saxons", (as am I BTW).

For as long as I can remember, the gentle art of taking the rise out of others has been a constant aspect of life but, speaking for myself I do have boundaries, they just aren't the same boundaries as the bleeding heart, humourless commentators, activists and diversity mafia who want to ban everything they disagree with or which they think might offend someone. I went out to work at 16 in a factory full of ex servicemen who'd fought the Nazis and everyone was treated the same whether they liked it or not. It's character building and, frankly speaking, those self styled metropolitan elite sitting in judgement on everyone else offend me every time they chip away another piece of my historic freedoms. I'm never knowingly rude to anyone but I'm also not prepared to stroke people's sensitivities just because it's trendy.

I grew up in a world where giving and taking "stick" from your mates and siblings was normal; it was the same for just about everyone. These days it's called bullying when poor little Oscar gets called a girl because he's got long hair or little Harmony gets called butterfingers because she can't catch a ball.

I'm just surprised no one's been branded anti Semitic for criticizing Sugar tbh.

On the other hand, comedians ,of which Lord S thinks he is part time, don't seem to have the same mud slung at them, and that's comedians of ALL races , despite the fact they make a living out of 'taking the Michael' out of all and sundry.

Not be long before it's a crime to look at some one funny.

2 hours ago, Westward said:

I have no doubt Sugar would be just as kindly and considerate to people from other countries and ethnic minorities as he is to "Anglo Saxons", (as am I BTW).

For as long as I can remember, the gentle art of taking the rise out of others has been a constant aspect of life but, speaking for myself I do have boundaries, they just aren't the same boundaries as the bleeding heart, humourless commentators, activists and diversity mafia who want to ban everything they disagree with or which they think might offend someone. I went out to work at 16 in a factory full of ex servicemen who'd fought the Nazis and everyone was treated the same whether they liked it or not. It's character building and, frankly speaking, those self styled metropolitan elite sitting in judgement on everyone else offend me every time they chip away another piece of my historic freedoms. I'm never knowingly rude to anyone but I'm also not prepared to stroke people's sensitivities just because it's trendy.

I grew up in a world where giving and taking "stick" from your mates and siblings was normal; it was the same for just about everyone. These days it's called bullying when poor little Oscar gets called a girl because he's got long hair or little Harmony gets called butterfingers because she can't catch a ball.

This.....

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I really couldn't care less to be honest

......and this. 

When I was young a very long time ago all the comedians on the radio would start the Joke" There was an Englisman a Scotsman  and an Irishman" so I have been indoctrinated all my life , so am I excused????

When I was naughty I was told " that a dark skinned gentleman would come and get me" . I can remember with fear that when I was travelling into Birmingham a Jamaican gentleman alighted the bus and sat opposite me on the longitudinal seat , I never took my eyes off him. Does that make me a racist???

38 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

When I was young a very long time ago all the comedians on the radio would start the Joke" There was an Englisman a Scotsman  and an Irishman" so I have been indoctrinated all my life , so am I excused????

When I was naughty I was told " that a dark skinned gentleman would come and get me" . I can remember with fear that when I was travelling into Birmingham a Jamaican gentleman alighted the bus and sat opposite me on the longitudinal seat , I never took my eyes off him. Does that make me a racist???

Pc brigade would say yes... World has gone mad

The papers these days are full of people apologising for what they have said. Someone somewhere is always going to find something to be offended about, so it's not worth apologising.

An apology is an admission you have done or said something amiss, not that some idiot has trawled the papers to find something to be outraged about. 

If Wales were in this world cup Alan Sugar could have made as many 'sheep *******' jokes as he liked probably with no complaints. I don't and never have found such comments offensive (we **** them then you English boys eat them) because it's part of growing up and realising that name calling is a minor part of life. Nowdays it seems to be a trend to get "offended" by a comment that makes not one jot of difference to your life. It's not as if he used the now offensive nik names he probably grew up with or even the name of the character off a jam jar that we dare not mention. ??

I had some new windows and back door fitted once and the owner of the company turned up to do the measurements.  He was without doubt what we older people would call 'black' . A great guy with a huge sense of fun. Having done the measuring he looked around the place and said how nice it was and do you own that as well etc etc., he then asked if we had kids and we said no, we had not gone down that route. Hah!! he said, " You could say I was your son then couldn't you " my reply was " If I said you was my son, then a lot of questions would be asked, not least by my wife!" and he collapsed in roars of laughter, no hurt feelings, brilliant guy along with a number of different 'races' I have worked with over the years...the good the bad and oh dear...the ugly as well but it was their inner being that mattered, how they looked at life.

No I don't think he was a bit racist ... but what do I know.  When I was a kid around 1950 ish maybe earlier, just after the war anyway, we had a guy with a turban, beard and a funy accent, appear at our farmhouse door, once a month, carrying a huge suitcase full of everything clothing and cleaning you desired. He would come in the kitchen and go through the whole case, showing everyhting off and then my grandmother would buy two dish cloths or similar. He would pack everyhting back and my parents and grandmother would exchange pleasantries with him and off he would go down into the village.  There was never a thought of racism back then. These men wearing turbans had fought alongside our troops and it was appreciated.

I was taught as a kid to treat everyone as you would be expected to be treated.  Still abide by that today until someone steps on my toes.

Hambone ..... what about all that soil you lot stole from the English to make all those nice mountains then??:lol:

Edited by Walker570