Some testy birds on peas

GingerCat

I've written previously about this pea field of Jdogs. It's around 60 acres and at the top of the wolds. Surrounded by barley and has been very busy of late. 

So busy that Jdog very kindly asked me to join him today. We duly met at around 330, Had set up by 4 and at 415 we had 6 birds in the bag.  The 2 flappers I was testing for a friend clearly did the trick however 40 minutes in and both had seized up. He won't be selling those models. 

I fetched the rotary however it hindered the shooting so that came in to. We left just the pattern as it was and the birds decoyed quite well but it was clear the majority had had enough and weren't interested. 

We stopped at 730 with 32 picked and they were a good 32, a lot from behind and some at quite a speed given the wind today . When I breasted them I found around half had barley in their crops  which would explain the lack of custom we had today I'm comparison to what jdog had been seeing these last few nights. 

This just shows how quickly pigeons can change from one food source to another. For two evenings out of the last three I watched this field and saw upwards of 200 pigeons come in on several great lines. Those numbers never materialised last evening and it seems that they are now on barley.

2 hours ago, JDog said:

This just shows how quickly pigeons can change from one food source to another. For two evenings out of the last three I watched this field and saw upwards of 200 pigeons come in on several great lines. Those numbers never materialised last evening and it seems that they are now on barley.

Thirty two in a late afternoon session is good going , if I get 30+ in an afternoon I know I have had a nice bit of sport and you can remember quite a few of the decent ones you have shot at ,

We have got a large area of Winter Barley and as you know some fields will always attract pigeons where others with the same crop tend to get ignored , I have been looking at the ones I know will produce a bit of sport and yes there are pigeons on the telegraph wires and sitting on the dead branches of the Elm trees , but , and its a big but , there isn't hardly a bent stem let alone any large patches , this time last year we have had a lot of wind and rain to knock a fair bit down , whereas this year we have had the wind ,but wind alone wont knock it down without the rain , and the forecast is dry weather and very hot again next week with the temp reaching 29 degrees , or so they say.

Great report of an afternoons session, I agree with JDogs comment about birds changing crop , one day to the next. 

Im interested with the flapper trials, it would appear that the way forward is flappers???. We had a system working four flappers on one pull string twenty five plus years ago. Nothing is new just recycled.