Would you take the shot?

spandit

Out rabbiting yesterday I saw a young bunny about 50 yards away at the base of some weeds. About another 100 yards distant from the fence is a pub garden which on a sunny afternoon did have customers in it. The rabbit was downhill, I was shooting off sticks with a .17HMR. The ground is predominantly clay, but it's been pretty dry and warm over the last few weeks.

I'm going to let this run for a bit until I reveal as to whether I did take the shot or not but wondered what thoughts were?

shot_quandary.jpg.cb9655939fe7d1480679881ecac837f3.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, no. If there's any doubt at all, don't shoot. Not worth the risk. Its a rabbit after all, and be plenty of other chances.

Also, you may be acting legally by shooting there but you have to consider other people. In this case the pub customers who may be upset if they see you or hear the shot, particularly if shooting in there general direction. 

All in all, not worth the risk or hassle. For me anyway.

Even if the shot was safe you would be asking for trouble shooting anywhere near people whilst they were out having a pint. You would be looked upon as a gun nut who shot towards them whilst they were enjoying an evening out.

Almost guarantee someone would call the police.

Knew it wouldn't take long for my suitability at holding an FAC was questioned. Feel free to contact my FEO so you can tell him I took a photograph of a rabbit with a pub in the background.

I didn't take the shot, as it happens, I stalked round and shot it from a different direction.

Was hoping for more reasoned  discussion but then I should have known from this forum that the drama queens about the loudest

7 minutes ago, spandit said:

Knew it wouldn't take long for my suitability at holding an FAC was questioned. Feel free to contact my FEO so you can tell him I took a photograph of a rabbit with a pub in the background.

I didn't take the shot, as it happens, I stalked round and shot it from a different direction.

Was hoping for more reasoned  discussion but then I should have known from this forum that the drama queens about the loudest

Always going to get that, I'm just glad no one said yes why not.

It's a good question to ask as often in the back ground are houses, or livestock even if you cant see them.  We have to be 100% confident that the shot will not leave the place that we are aiming but...... there is the occasional ricochet, so not only a safe back stop but a good back drop is in my view critical. 

5 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Doubt that I would have taken such a shot - no matter how big the regulars at the Pub are there is always the risk of hitting the Rabbit :). Reporting to his FEO - REALLY?? The OP is simply presenting you with a dilemma - what better way to educate?

Exactly right if we don't raise these things for discussion what's the point of a shooting forum?