Would you take the shot?

spandit

43 minutes ago, spandit said:

Knew it wouldn't take long for my suitability at holding an FAC was questioned. Feel free to contact my FEO so you can tell him I took a photograph of a rabbit with a pub in the background.

I didn't take the shot, as it happens, I stalked round and shot it from a different direction.

Was hoping for more reasoned  discussion but then I should have known from this forum that the drama queens about the loudest

Well done and at least you didn't balance a loaded gun on top of a fence post while you sat and thought about it.

Edited by wymberley

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked the question as not all of us are lucky enough to have hundreds of acres to shoot over and this permission is only about 10 acres but swarming with rabbits.

Would folk think differently if it were a soggy Winter morning with nobody around and softer ground?

7 minutes ago, spandit said:

I asked the question as not all of us are lucky enough to have hundreds of acres to shoot over and this permission is only about 10 acres but swarming with rabbits.

Would folk think differently if it were a soggy Winter morning with nobody around and softer ground?

Hopefully not.

Don't be too hard on the "drama queens". Most, if not all, of our shooting lore is based on safety - both for our equipment and the wellbeing of ourselves and others. To this end, while working within the legal framework, our sport is self regulating. If we see someone doing something that is wrong then we are obliged to speak out. They might not know that what thet're doing is unsafe both in terms of the detriment of equipment and people, not to mention the surroundings and undue suffering to our quarry. Failure to do that makes one equally guilty, if not more so, than the individual concerned should there be an accident. Another reason why we MUST do this is because if we are supposed to be self regulating and we fail to do so then there are only two possible consequences: Either our sport is banned or someone else is bought in to do the regulation for us. Enjoy those two options, Folks, because there's many out there that if they can't get what they want - the first option - then they'll settle for the second while they continue to pursue the first if we can't keep our own house in order.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

I’d have taken the shot 

but not from that angle 

looking at the picture you only have to move a couple of yards and it becomes a safe shot 

Not a shot I would have taken, moving to a different position does not guarantee the bullet or a stone will not fly off at a totally different angle to your line of shot, and the report from the rifle/bullet could possibly upset a few people in the beer garden, especially if they have kids with them.

47 minutes ago, old'un said:

Not a shot I would have taken, moving to a different position does not guarantee the bullet or a stone will not fly off at a totally different angle to your line of shot, and the report from the rifle/bullet could possibly upset a few people in the beer garden, especially if they have kids with them.

That’s what you assess on the day 

ask your self if the beer garden was swarming with people and kids would the rabbits be there ? 

How many rabbits are shot at night with a lamp and there could be kids or people anywhere Are ricochet that common with your rifle there not with mine 

but I tend to hit the target not the ground 

lot to many ifs and could’ve 

too many people worrying too much about what ifs 

all the best 

of 

As OF says looking at it if you move round it looks a better shot , would i use a hmr  no , because as said the noise if nothing else would have the police there and put the fear of god in the customers , air rifle seems much the better tool for the job

2 hours ago, old'un said:

If its swarming with rabbits and only ten acres would a air rifle not be a better tool for the job?

Knowledge is useful and I would be eyeing the suitable places to set up my blind and shoot with my AA S200 air rifle standard sub 12ftlb but still 'hurts' ask those two tree rats this morning.

This answer to the question posed....NO. 

The noise would barely be heard from the pub and it is the countryside, not an inner city housing estate. As to whether an air rifle would be sufficient - quite possibly but I don't own a suitable one and a safe shot with any calibre is just that. It would allow me to consider shooting squirrels off the branch which I wouldn't do with a rimfire but she's asked me to shoot any foxes I see too and an air rifle would not be suitable.

Cue the armchair snipers who definitely shot a fox with a .177 BSA Meteor at 170yards in a cross wind... ;)

4 hours ago, spandit said:

Knew it wouldn't take long for my suitability at holding an FAC was questioned. Feel free to contact my FEO so you can tell him I took a photograph of a rabbit with a pub in the background.

I didn't take the shot, as it happens, I stalked round and shot it from a different direction.

Was hoping for more reasoned  discussion but then I should have known from this forum that the drama queens about the loudest

there is all ways some one who wants to knock you down,of course you did not take the shot.

1 hour ago, spandit said:

The noise would barely be heard from the pub and it is the countryside, not an inner city housing estate. As to whether an air rifle would be sufficient - quite possibly but I don't own a suitable one and a safe shot with any calibre is just that. It would allow me to consider shooting squirrels off the branch which I wouldn't do with a rimfire but she's asked me to shoot any foxes I see too and an air rifle would not be suitable.

Cue the armchair snipers who definitely shot a fox with a .177 BSA Meteor at 170yards in a cross wind...

Not in a crosswind no........................:lol::shoot:

19 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

So has that land been passed for .17 hmr .? Or have you decided its suitable on an open ticket. ? 

Do I need a licence for a little gun like that then? I wonder if I could get it conditioned for sanctimonious *********? Seem to be a lot of them around. 

I would have moved on to another rabbit, specially with the pub behind, we all know that the 22lr are bouncing bombs on hard ground, the HMR too and basicly any round could ricochet. 

I may have had a go though with the 9.3, that would have dug a few of the weeds up. 

35 minutes ago, spandit said:

Do I need a licence for a little gun like that then? I wonder if I could get it conditioned for sanctimonious *********? Seem to be a lot of them around. 

'tis an internet forum. Much sanctinomy as ever.

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Also the reason i got the second rabbit and not the .22lr .was the shot was against a thin hedge which can have live stock behind it .the risk with the .22 lr was too great so the decision was to use the "safer "☆ .25 

This is from a different thread regarding an FAC .25 calibre air rifle. That's a firearm and you've admitted to shooting using a thin hedge as a background even though it can have livestock behind it? Perhaps you should take a longer look at yourself before being so holier-than-thou against someone you've never met ?