Would you take the shot?

spandit

That hedge in question can occasionally have live stock behind .it .but i awlays check if there is cattle in the field as i walk past the gate and a quick looks confirms if there is or isnt .

On the occasion above there was'nt .and if there is .i dont shoot towards the hedge . Further across the field (75 yds ) it goes steeply upwards about 100 yds elevation into a wood .so unless there is a cow (checked .there wasnt ) the risk to anything other than a fly is  ZERO .You asked for opinions on the saftey of the shot .(knowing its a bad shot ) and then are suprised that people think its a bad shot .

Wow .

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

So has that land been passed for .17 hmr .? Or have you decided its suitable on an open ticket. ? 

This is a simple question .but one you dont feel comfortable answering. I wonder why .? ?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said you used the air rifle because it was a lower risk than the 22LR. If the risk is zero then you could have used the rimfire but you stated it wasn't safe enough. This is a shot you took, not one where you decided not to. You have admitted on a public forum to taking a dangerous shot where your pellet could have easily crossed the boundary of your permission (an offence in itself). Wow yourself.

Getting back to the subject.  The challene for me would be getting myself into a better position, closer without the rabbit being aware....it's called ability to stalk and hunt, not long range shooting.  Similar this afternoon, I saw a tree rat in an open ride in my wood, I only had my AA s200 with me so needed to close the gap from 80yrds down to sub 20 to get a clean head shot.

It took me a while but by using what cover there was and moving extremely slowly, stopping when the TR picked it's head up, I closed the gap and actually climbed the stairs in open view to the squirrel, into the raised cabin I have there, and made the shot.  I'm no chicken and crawling like a racing snake is not something I do easily these days, but that shot gave me more satisfaction than any 2 -3-400yrd shot ever would.  There again 14yrs training probably helped and 70yrs of practise.

Edited by Walker570

20 minutes ago, spandit said:

It's fun feeding the trolls especially when they're in the wrong. All this fuss over a shot I didn't take. I admit I also didn't shoot at the local primary school with my .308 and I also quite avoided using my .223 in Waitrose.

Now that is a good outcome!

27 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I used to shoot on ALDI car park . I’m not kidding .

it was really strange and I gave it up in the end.

the landowners asked me to shoot them as they lived in the brambles. 

? Who was the ALDI car park landowner? ALDI?....was that not an open public access area?....sounds a bit iffy to me! Please elaborate!

23 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

? Who was the ALDI car park landowner? ALDI?....was that not an open public access area?....sounds a bit iffy to me! Please elaborate!

The land was rented to ALDI but had barriers and security. Not a retail premises. It was quiet cool walking past security with a rifle. 

I only used air rifle there tho.

the staff were meant to be gone at 8pm but rarely were so I gave it up.

i have really strange permissions everywhere like rental buildings on the ferals , industrial yards and units . 

Edited by team tractor

I wonder how many people who answered hold FAC?  To be honest, safety aside, shooting anywhere near the public isn’t worth the aggro.

if the pub wasn’t there, and it was livestock in the field behind, having experience of HMR anc how difficult it would be to miss at 50M and assuming like my farmers the land holder asked me to smash the rabbit numbers ...I’d take the shot

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

I used to shoot on ALDI car park . I’m not kidding .

it was really strange and I gave it up in the end.

the landowners asked me to shoot them as they lived in the brambles. 

The landowners asked you to shoot them? Blimey!

15 minutes ago, PPP said:

I wonder how many people who answered hold FAC?  To be honest, safety aside, shooting anywhere near the public isn’t worth the aggro.

if the pub wasn’t there, and it was livestock in the field behind, having experience of HMR anc how difficult it would be to miss at 50M and assuming like my farmers the land holder asked me to smash the rabbit numbers ...I’d take the shot

I would bet almost all who replied hold a Fac.

9 hours ago, motty said:

I would bet almost all who replied hold a Fac.

I don't!..........I handed it back last year, after over forty years!....still have my SGC though!

10 hours ago, team tractor said:

The land was rented to ALDI but had barriers and security. Not a retail premises. It was quiet cool walking past security with a rifle. 

I only used air rifle there tho.

the staff were meant to be gone at 8pm but rarely were so I gave it up.

i have really strange permissions everywhere like rental buildings on the ferals , industrial yards and units . 

Thanks for clarifying that!........Phew!!

21 hours ago, spandit said:

It's fun feeding the trolls especially when they're in the wrong. All this fuss over a shot I didn't take. I admit I also didn't shoot at the local primary school with my .308 and I also quite avoided using my .223 in Waitrose.

All this thread was going to do is cause an argument the MODS should have jumped on it straight away

30 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

All this thread was going to do is cause an argument the MODS should have jumped on it straight away

It's no different from the questions they ask you in DSC1. Can't lock every thread due to a disagreement arising

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

You want us to go around pre-emptively shutting threads in case they turn into an argument?

That's brilliant.  I'm sure everyone would love that.

the sound of a rifle shot within the  hearing distance of the general british public ....do not mix...whether it is a legal safe shot or not.............when i had a firearms liecence it was me ...my rifle and my quarry....and nobody else...for me hunting any quarry was a private matter...............

I think this is a brilliant post and what the forum is about, namely sharing ideas and experience. For those people who are getting into the sport and do not have the luxury of having a family member/ friend to teach them then posts like this are useful ways to pass on ideas and experience. 

I am am at a loss as to why some people feel Op should be reported to his FEO for posting, maybe I am missing some thing but when I last checked asking questions would not but you in breach of firearms conditions? Maybe I am wrong.

23 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the sound of a rifle shot within the  hearing distance of the general british public ....do not mix...whether it is a legal safe shot or not.............when i had a firearms liecence it was me ...my rifle and my quarry....and nobody else...for me hunting any quarry was a private matter...............

I don't really agree with this. If that was the case, I would have missed out on a lot of the shooting I have done.

I'm not ashamed of my shooting and although I don't want to cause a nuisance, it's a natural part of living in the countryside.

Had a friend firing an unmoderated centrefire (.308) about 100 yards away and it wasn't that loud. I doubt my moderated HMR would even be heard above the general hubbub in a pub garden 150 yards distant.

55 minutes ago, motty said:

I don't really agree with this. If that was the case, I would have missed out on a lot of the shooting I have done.

dont get me wrong ...each to his own...........shotgun.is a different matter..........ive lost count of the indirect complaints ive had...usually goes to the farmer.. or farmers wife tells them to get lost...im about my lawful buisness...........

shooting with a rifle is a different matter...its about peoples perception..particually in this day and age and "unsettled" climate we are enduring.....i never shot with a moderator..i hated the idea of threading a large tube on the end of a beautifully made machine...........the fact most people rifle shoot with a moderator now...tells you shooters are more aware...

anyway thats my 2 pence worth thats all..:good: 

1 hour ago, motty said:

I don't really agree with this

Quick! Lock the thread! :D

Could the general public really distinguish between a rifle and a shotgun report? I agree that moderators ruin the look and balance of rifles but if it helps to protect my hearing too then that's another reason for using one. 

9 hours ago, spandit said:

Quick! Lock the thread! :D

Could the general public really distinguish between a rifle and a shotgun report? I agree that moderators ruin the look and balance of rifles but if it helps to protect my hearing too then that's another reason for using one. 

Exactly my thoughts.

I didn’t put a mod’ on my BDL as I thought it would spoil the lines of what to me is one of the best looking rifles ever made.

On my T3 I wasn’t too fussed, and when a member of the licensing team suggested I add one for the sake of my hearing, I thought, yeah, why not. 

I doubt any member of the general public could tell a rifle shot from  a shotgun, but there again I don’t care either. There isn’t a day goes by in this neck of the woods that a shot of some kind isn’t heard. 

Moderators don’t stop anyone but the shooter from hearing that sonic crack.