Insurance or Cash ?

mickyh

Hello, had a tiny bump in the Supermarket car park yesterday. 

Small amount of paint and a small split in my rear bumper.

Her 2009 plate Mondeo 118,000 miles, has some paint damage to the wheel arch and rear bumper. The bumper has torn from its mounting. Websites put her car being worth £1500-£2000

She drove past me as I was reversing out of a parking space. These things happen I suppose. I suggested I would pay for her repair to save both of our no claims etc.

She has posted me a quote from a Ford Dealer for £784  

I'm astonished at the amount, my bumper will cost £200 ish to fill and paint.(Vauxhall Insignia).

I have no no claims cover, since I have never had an accident in a car, ever.

How much will my insurance change if I go through this channel? A couple of hundred quid extra for a year or two or loads for 5 years?

Does anyone have any experience of this.

I'll ring the woman tonight and see if she'll get a quote from an independent bodyshop, I dont think she realises that her premium will go up as well.

Knock for knock car park bump I would think.

Should I offer her £500 cash and ask for a disclaimer? 

Any advice is welcome, thanks.

I've put this on another forum as well as I'm running out of time on this

Edited by mickyh
more info

I had a woman catch my Vw T6 a month ago . She admitted fault and paid £300 for a small bumper scuff. 

I passed her the quote and she’s paid as I’m honest. 

Bumper resprays are roughly £250-350 and the rear arch the same in my experience.

dont forget the inconvenience of her being car less for a few days.

i bumped my neighbours car 10 years back and had a friend spray it. It was only the front wing but £250 . They couldn’t realise it tho as he had 2 bald tyres lol. 

When he did get it home my other neighbours drove into it the same day :/ . He said I don’t care anyway and left it dented. I was fuming as it killed me to pay for the damage.

I would go for a local guy to sort it out and pay for it yourself as your insurance premium increase will be far in exceed of the repair cost in renewal fees going forward a friend had an ifor Williams trailer stolen cost £1100 on payout his house and business insurance went up by  £6000 on renewal

Just put it through the insurance, the hassle of dealing with people isnt worth it. Insurance wont go up that much as you dont loose all your NCB, the most you can normally get anyway is 9 years and if you have a claim and not protected you will  only loose 2 years NCB off whatever you have.

She may have taken it to ford as it’s a ford and that would probably be logical. She may not be aware of local body shops or maybe thought by going to a dealer she wouldn’t be ripped off by a back street garage and have some form of warranty. 

Give her a call and ask if she can pop it to a reputable independent local body shop for a comparison quote.

if this is considerably cheaper offer to pay for the damage and bung her a few quid for taxis and the like that way everyone is happy and everyone’s no claims can remain intact 

I deal with this type of case every day. I only deal with cosmetic repairs and aim to please all parties involved by supplying a service that is more than reasonable and not involving either parties insurance. Out of experience I'd say pay for the cash repair as the insurance won't know and bump up your premium next year. If the insurance has been informed already then it's too late as the incident has been logged against you already. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2018 at 03:25, Luckyshot said:

Just go through your insurance it won’t go up drastically as some on here think, that way her insurance will also go up which serves her right for trying to have your pants down with that quote.

I don’t understand how she’s trying to have his pants down? 

I can only imagine she has a Ford so went to a Ford garage and that was the quote. 

Who ever she goes to she gets her car fixed, and she has to deal with all the inconvenice of not having her car etc ... don’t see how she gains by going to a more expensive garage? 

Personally id want to go insurance, most people are a nightmare to deal with. Some people don’t want to pay up when it comes to it, or don’t believe you when you show them the quote form the garage as if you would make it up to rip them off (which is a **** take at times cos often they’re the ones asking to do it outside of the insurance companies). 

A lot of insurance companies these days are not counting non-fault accidents as some big ones don’t do this anymore and others are trying to keep up.