cleaning brass

On 21/06/2018 at 17:22, oowee said:

Just ordered a sonic cleaner. I would appreciate some suggestions for cleaning fluid and cooking times. Ideally stuff that i am likely to have about the house. 

Its 50w and heats as well. 

I use Birchwood Casey Brass Cleaner. One bottle makes 10 ltrs. I heat the liquid in the microwave, soak the cases in it for a few minutes, then into the ultrasonic cleaner. This cleans 99% of the residue in/on the cases (remove primer first)

1.1 litres of Hot Water (hot tap temperature, so the machine doesn't have to heat it and the cleaning starts almost immediately)

250ml white vinegar 

1 Table spoon of salt 

1 Table spoon of Fairy (Lemon work best)

Rinse well to get all the vinegar off and dry thoroughly.

Hope this helps. It does for me I normally put mine on for 3 cycles of 8 minutes (maximum my cleaner does)

There was a thread on this a few weeks back

Cillit Bang, the one in the orange bottle for lime and grime, diluted about 10-1 or more

rinse out your cleaner afterwards and rinse the cases too then upend them on a bit of polystyrene foam packaging with pins stuck in it to hold them up. I use map pins, perfect for .308.

Edited by Vince Green

2 hours ago, John_R said:

Seaclean is very good, not at  all expensive, and noncorrosive. I really can't see the point in home made mixes.

I'm 100% with you on this, for the little cost and the amount you use I too can't see the point in making up concoctions, you still need to buy the vinegar and whatever else gets put in the mix. 

8 hours ago, Dougy said:

I'm 100% with you on this, for the little cost and the amount you use I too can't see the point in making up concoctions, you still need to buy the vinegar and whatever else gets put in the mix. 

Seaclean is good, as I had a sample with a sonic cleaner I bought. But, the Birchwood Casey Brass case cleaner makes 2 gallons, and can be used a few times. By it's name, it's designed to clean brass, just by soaking. Adding it to a sonic cleaner makes it even better.

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Seaclean is good, as I had a sample with a sonic cleaner I bought. But, the Birchwood Casey Brass case cleaner makes 2 gallons, and can be used a few times. By it's name, it's designed to clean brass, just by soaking. Adding it to a sonic cleaner makes it even better.

I may have a go with it when I run out of seaclean, I bought 2ltr a while go while it was BOGOF. 

• 1 month later...
On 24/06/2018 at 19:04, Imperfection said:

I have recently switched to Jiff lemon juice (like what you stick on your pancakes) which when mixed with hot water in the ultrasonic makes them go squeeky clean and shiny. Best stuff yet!!!

What do you use to neutralise it?

46 minutes ago, shooterone0 said:

Can you tell me the formula for seaclean in ultrasonic? Also a formula for Birchwood brass cleaner in a ultrasonic cleaner?

I usually mix the whole bottle of Birchwood Casey Brass cleaner to the recommended volume, which gives a hell of a lot. To clean the cases in a ultrasonic cleaner, I heat the liquid in the microwave, soak a few cases in the hot mix for 5-10 minutes, then put them in the cleaner. Primers are removed first. This solution gets them very clean and cleanes out 99% of the muck inside the cases. Further treatment will improve on this, but I don't bother.