Plane flight paths

old'un

20 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I knew one of the engineers who worked on the design specs for Lightning and he related a day when an American pilot arrived to fly one for the first time.  When he landed he was speechless and a mumbling wreck, had to sit down for minutes to regain his composure. he said it was the biggest kick in the seat of the pants he had ever experienced.  I am led to believe it can still hold it's own in a climb even today.

I must have a look at the tracking thingy , it would be nice to follow friends across the globe.

The EE Lightning was capable of going supersonic in a vertical climb. Not good MPG though.

Slightly off but flying back from Barcelona on Monday I was so bored I switched on google maps on my phone and held it against the window.

It quickly got a gps signal and when I zoomed out to 5 miles and more I could see exactly where we were.

For years I'd thought The Bay of Biscay was the Channel, and we were just going slow !

On landing I zoomed to 500m and there was the runway on my phone at 150mph ! Wouldn't work on satellite but fine on default.

Before the popcorn bags starts to rustle,  I was in Flight Mode all of the time.

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I wonder what that was then, not aware of anything with a Merlin that is white. Very interesting.

The PR11 was at the RAF Cosford airshow last weekend

IMG_1707a.jpg

Yep, that went over here as well on the way home.  We are smack in the middle of a designated low flying area and never know what might turn up although Jolly Green Giants have that characteristic thump thump and come swinging through as if below the tree line.

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 19:19, Walker570 said:

The only one which really interested me was the familiar roar of four Merlins from behind the trees below my wood and the Lanc appeared at low level and I mean LOW LEVEL over the village. Just wish it would do that every day, those engines make such a distinctive lovely sound. 

The house I grew up in was close to the flight path of Northolt airport and back then practically every weekend it would take off and bank left over our house at chimney pot height. It filled the whole sky, staggeringly impressive sight. I don't know why it banked over our house, none of the ordinary planes did. People would come running out of their houses to look up at it