Clay ground fall out

kennett

Morning all, after a bit of advice to make sure I'm not being unreasonable. We have our horses in paddocks belonging to a friend which are separated from a clay ground by a small belt of trees.

The shooting it's self doesn't bother the horses in the slightest, but several times now my wife, daughter and horses have been hit by shot which left red marks, full and smashed clays. As far as im aware fall out from any shooting shouldn't leave the boundary of your land? I was hoping to have a chat to ask them to angle the traps slightly to avoid the worst of it

By allowing the fall of shot to pass their boundary the clay ground are actually breaking the law. A firm word is indeed needed, and if that fails then a discussion (in writing) on the subject of lead contamination of your land, possible personal injury claims and the like will very quickly see them avoid this happening in the future I'm sure.

3 hours ago, kennett said:

Morning all, after a bit of advice to make sure I'm not being unreasonable. We have our horses in paddocks belonging to a friend which are separated from a clay ground by a small belt of trees.

The shooting it's self doesn't bother the horses in the slightest, but several times now my wife, daughter and horses have been hit by shot which left red marks, full and smashed clays. As far as im aware fall out from any shooting shouldn't leave the boundary of your land? I was hoping to have a chat to ask them to angle the traps slightly to avoid the worst of it

You should not have to avoid ANY OF IT!

Watching this one with interest, please let us know how it goes.

3 hours ago, kennett said:

What is the land owners view on this ?

Reminds me of an incident a few years ago on a Sunday morning clay shoot.A woman came  into the shoot with a bleeding hand .She had been in the commercial yard next door showing her new car to a friend and been shot by some idiot .The organisers response  ' didn't think anyone would be there on a Sunday'. No initial apology it was as though it was her fault for being there! Strangely enough the shoot is still going although I never went there again.

The land owner doesn't own the land next door, it's in an old sand quarry which they rent from the surrounding farm. Our friend hasn't given permission for them to shoot onto his land and by all accounts he isn't very happy. so I'm guessing they are in pretty dodgy territory.

3 hours ago, AYA117 said:

What is the land owners view on this ?

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Hi 

does your land owner also own the clay ground land ? Or has he/she given permission for the fallout to land on the ground that you’re currently using for the animals 

although I think a nice polite chat is the best way forward in this situation 

all the best 

of 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Well he maybe not aware of the situation and a quiet talk with him maybe resolve the issue 

far better than going in with all Guns blazing 

just my thoughts 

of 

Not much of a shoot organiser if he is not aware of where his clays and the lead are falling!

Odd isn't it, someone put a 'would you take this shot' post on here and was verbally lynched for it. Here we have a case of clearly stupid and unlawful conduct and the general reply is take a soft approach. Why no calls for contacting the Police, FEO or strong words of disapproval. All that take part on this clay shoot are breaking the law, not just those that run it. Or is clay shooting exempt from condemnation ?

23 hours ago, kennett said:

so I'm guessing they are in pretty dodgy territory.

Dodgy doesnt come close.

They are without doubt acting illegally if all is as you have said.

No exceptions to pellets leaving your boundary, clay shoot or not.

I would make them aware of the situation and see how they respond. If they do not stop shooting immediately (and i do mean the very second that they are told) then I would call the police.

An injury to someone using your ground would be yet another publicity nightmare for shootings sports.

Watching with interest.

Edd

A bit of a quandary really, because if the organiser doesn't take any notice then he could find his shoot being closed down. And what shooters amongst us want to be responsibility for closing down a small clay shoot. We have enough antis trying to do that already. 

Have a word with the organiser and if he isn't willing to alter anything then tell him you will call the police and tell them that you are being hit by lead shot. (That SHOULD really frighten the bejasus out of him)

I simply can't understand any shoot allowing shot to fall outside their own boundaries.

Edited by Graham M