Availability and price of 6.5 Creedmoor vs. 308

Hi fellas. I'm about to put in for my FAC since completing probation at Bisley (their 5 day course was great for a rookie like me). I've settled on the T3X Tac A1 for 1000+ yard shooting but I'm umming and ahhing about whether to take the plunge and request a slot for it in 6.5 or 308. The ballistics are undeniably better for the 6.5 and would mean far less adjustment for long-range shooting. But I imagine just about everything else would favour the 308; ammo cost and availability being the big one, though competition entry criteria, Police knowing what I'm on about etc. could be factors?

As this is my first time applying for an FAC and my experience with fullbore rifles totals a whopping 3 days - I'd appreciate any wise words anyone can spare about my dilemma.

Cheers

What about the 6.5 x 55 mouser auctioned gun that was on feildsports Britain banging gongs at 1500 meters readily available ammo. 

If you don’t mind reloading buy whatever you fancy. 

Ammo choice should get better for the 6.5cm as some of us military have adopted it. 

Edited by figgy

Speaking to a friend in the SE with a 6.5 Creedmoor Tikka ammo is "non existent" but for competitive shooting I'm guessing you'll be reloading anyway

You can get match ammo at Bisley if that's where you'll be shooting it

Edited by spandit

KISS = keep it simple stupid

do not ask for a .308 ask for 7.62/308. Most target rifles are 7.62 and so is a lot of the ammo.

but you need to practice practice practice to start with. One day you will perhaps feel the need for a Creedmore but that day is here yet.

Go 7,62/.308 and just buy the ammo for the first couple of years

Edited by Vince Green