Best Carbon solvent for semi auto cleaning

figgy

What’s the best carbon solvent for cleaning the mag tube where the piston goes and the piston? 

Ive tried Ed’s red, 009 solvent,  cleanzoil, Napier gun cleaner. Among some others. Non are very effective and I’ve been using swarfega cleaning wipes and Scotchbrite

Edited by figgy

Tightchoke I used to use wd40 a lot as it worked better than dedicated solvents. Bought a small tin to keep in the car and do the tube and valve before putting away, but it was pants and never touched the carbon, wonder if its been reformulated. Hence the swarfega wipes I had in the boot I cleaned my hands and thought I wonder. Tried them and not the best but got most off. 

Will try some other WD40 type stuff. 

I take it the brake cleaner is car brake cleaner, not brake free stuff?

I use spray on carb cleaner . I have a urika 2 with the self clean piston . When I bought the gun I thought tackle tart hype .i was wrong .no build up of carbon in the piston what so ever .  Sure it’s black and sooty but a spray with carb cleaner .job done .

harnser

Will try some carb and some brake cleaner along with AC 90. My sons sure to use any and all on his car. 

Using fiber wads it’s sure gets dirty quick especially some brands as the wad must be lubed as the piston and valve get gummy. 

Impala59 I was told never to oil lube the tube or piston, I used to with engine oil and the surface of the magtube melted slightly. Think I put it up on here years ago. You could see where the gasses from transfer holes in the the barrel had melted the surface metal. Gunsmith said the oil burns and then heats up causing the marks.

if it works on yours great.  

4 hours ago, figgy said:

Impala59 I was told never to oil lube the tube or piston, I used to with engine oil and the surface of the magtube melted slightly. Think I put it up on here years ago. You could see where the gasses from transfer holes in the the barrel had melted the surface metal. Gunsmith said the oil burns and then heats up causing the marks.

if it works on yours great.  

I hear you and for the most part agree with dry running. The amount of oil is almost insignificant, I literally dip a finger pad and wipe the inside of the muzzle side ring. I’ve never encountered any burning (Interestingly Remington stated when they launched first the 1100 that the hot gases should clean the surfaces and burn off the residues) Look up on YouTube ‘Remington describes the 1100’ an interesting ‘olde world ‘ film where amongst other things they throw the gun in a stream then immediately fire 5 rounds

edit....

I use fibre wad loads exclusively and find that factory stuff is very dirty, my home loaded slug and buckshot is clean, perhaps because I use a quality gas check behind the wad (fibre wads do seem a bit oily to me)

Edited by impala59