Got the WSM

beanieboy

I began a previous thread re the Bmag 17 WSM and mentioned that I'd traded in my very accurate HMR for the Bmag. I was concerned by all the well reported issues surrounding the Bmag, in particular, the well documented accuracy issues [albeit with the flimsy stocked thin barrel].

I picked up the heavy ss barrel with boyds thumbhole stock model yesterday evening. Initial thoughts:

- stock feels very nice

- rifle feels well balanced and not overly heavy in the hand [using Wildcat Whisper Mod]

- the barrel, although not totally centred in the stock, is free floating down to the action

- the magazine feels like something from a toy gun and one has to get the 'knack' when loading. It does however cycle ammo very well indeed

- the trigger guard is cheap [plastic] and, to be honest, I've seen better on a toy gun!

- the bolt, although stiff to close [cocks on closing] is not the issue I thought it would be and one quickly gets used to it

- the trigger [Accutrigger] feels very crisp....so much so, that I have no great desire to lighten it

I removed the trigger guard [covers one of the two action screws] and checked that the action screws were tight...they were, how tight, I don't know. But at least they weren't loose. I cleaned the barrel with a couple of pull throughs [patch worm with oiled patch] and then fitted my scope [Docter 6x42]. I used the existing weaver mounts and fitted medium Hawke rings. This give desired clearance for bolt and scope objective.

I set up a target at 100 yards and fired a first group of three shots. My RFD only stocks the 20g Hornady, so that's what I used. No sign of them on my 8" target....but there they were approx. 12" below target, but all three within a 1" group! Some serious scope adjustment required. I fired three shot groups after each adjustment and one could clearly see each group remained 1" or less as I adjusted up. I eventually got the scope zeroed....each of the seven groups of three fired were 1" or less.....not a single flyer! The HMR I traded against the Savage was deadly accurate and my big worry was that the Bmag wouldn't give me the accuracy I'm used to. Looks like I have a 'shooter' right out of the box!

Needless to say that, thus far, I am very pleased. The rifle shoots very well and will hopefully continue to do so as long as I do my bit and the ammo I use remains consistent. I will try the 25g Winchester as and when I get hold of it, but I'm particularly pleased that the faster 20g shoots as well as it does.

Shot a few rabbits last night, furtherest around 180m. Definitely hits with a lot more authority than the HMR. Sounds about the same (to my ears), although in reality the extra speed/weight of powder probably makes it a tad louder.

The magazine continues to cycle very well.....pain in the *** to load though. The safety, unlike the CZ's is, imo, in the right place and is the more traditional forward for off, back for on. The fact that the rifle won't cock with safety on is, I believe, a bad design. The actual safety itself feels cheap.....rather like the trigger guard and magazine, although it is metal.

It is however a very pointable and accurate rifle.

good review bud:good:makes me very tempted as i have just sold my savage hmr. agree with what you said mag is carp but great trigger. i really liked the accutrigger. i have a tx1 on order with a mate in hmr. but it does not look they are going to arrive soon. dates going back and back:mad: would be interesting to see how the wsm performs on fox. hmr is great at sensible range. but this could be a bit more range when 243 is not there 

32 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

good review bud:good:makes me very tempted as i have just sold my savage hmr. agree with what you said mag is carp but great trigger. i really liked the accutrigger. i have a tx1 on order with a mate in hmr. but it does not look they are going to arrive soon. dates going back and back:mad: would be interesting to see how the wsm performs on fox. hmr is great at sensible range. but this could be a bit more range when 243 is not there 

I too,was tempted with this calibre, but decided on .204 Ruger. This is a superb ' little' calibre and I'm more than happy with it. It takes its place alongside my .22lr, .22 Hornet and my .243. I reload for them all.

58 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I too,was tempted with this calibre, but decided on .204 Ruger. This is a superb ' little' calibre and I'm more than happy with it. It takes its place alongside my .22lr, .22 Hornet and my .243. I reload for them all.

i have been out with a mate who has a 204 with a drone on top. certainly does the job

15 hours ago, fister said:

I have been told and Weihrauch HW66 in 17 Hornet is on the way to me and that should make an interesting addition to the small 17 stable.

Should that be correct, look out for the JM version should they do it. The only reason I sold mine in 22 flavour was so that I could play with a Ruger No 1 and 50 grains.

18 hours ago, beanieboy said:

Literally just back from a walk over the fields. No foxes yet, but got 10 rabbits. This wee rifle is so accurate....it just inspires that all important confidence on the shot. Never thought I'd say that about a Bmag after all the stuff I've read about them.

great news. so glad it ticks your boxes. sounds a very capable bit of kit

Good to hear someone give an honest review about kit they have bought, wart's an all, rather than it's the best ever. ? If a review is all good the reviewer either owns it or is being paid ?

Glad its working out i think the round will be brilliant on fox. 

Edited by oowee

20 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

good review bud:good:makes me very tempted as i have just sold my savage hmr. agree with what you said mag is carp but great trigger. i really liked the accutrigger. i have a tx1 on order with a mate in hmr. but it does not look they are going to arrive soon. dates going back and back would be interesting to see how the wsm performs on fox. hmr is great at sensible range. but this could be a bit more range when 243 is not there 

It was pointed out at the beginning of April that the Tx1 would be on a looooong lead time, has anyone had an update?

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Good to hear someone give an honest review about kit they have bought, wart's an all, rather than it's the best ever. ? If a review is all good the reviewer either owns it or is being paid ?

Glad its working out i think the round will be brilliant on fox. 

Can't wait to see how it performs on fox....should do the job out to 150 yards.

1 hour ago, beanieboy said:

Can't wait to see how it performs on fox....should do the job out to 150 yards.

I read all of yours and this one a few times and confirmed what you reported when i tried one out ?

I like the round just need to find a rifle that suits me. 

1 hour ago, fister said:

Have you read mine?

I read all of yours and this one a few times and confirmed what you reported when i tried one out ?

I like the round just need to find a rifle that suits me. 

5 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

great news. so glad it ticks your boxes. sounds a very capable bit of kit

Thanks bumpy. Must say, I'm somewhat relieved given that the HMR I traded was deadly accurate and that there were quite a lot of negative reviews of the Bmag....albeit mostly of the skinny barreled flimsy stocked model.

I'm not convinced I have a need for the WSM, I am happy with what the HMR and then WMR provide, and despite the fact I move straight to a .223 from the WMR (around a 1000ft lb gap) I have never found the gap a problem or I would have looked at the Hornets etc.

Time will tell on these and I'm certainly not placing an order yet, good to hear about peoples experiences with them just the same! :good:

Edited by Dekers

1 hour ago, the enigma said:

Good to hear you've got a good un............ what are they charging for the ammo over here?

I bought a few boxes of the Hornady when paying for the rifle and I don't honestly know what I was charged for the ammo. No doubt more than elsewhere in the UK. I'm going to pick up a few more boxes later this week and I'll find out then. Tannyoky only stock the Hornady 20g, which, fortunately for me, shoots very well in my Bmag.