Thoughts please pcp v springer

Dave at kelton

Advice from the forum please.

I currently have an Air Arms 200 multishot .22. This was great when I had a dive shop on my doorstep and was diving with my own tanks. I no longer dive, except on holiday, and am a long way from anywhere I can top up tanks. These are out of proof anyway and will need hydrostatic testing before sale. I use the air rifle for plinking and vermin, squirrel, rabbit and rats etc.

I could hold onto a tank but am considering selling gun and tanks and buying a wehrauch hw97 although the weight is a little off putting.

I welcome thoughts on what you guys would do in these circumstances and additionally would you stick with .22 or go for .177.

I have read a lot of reviews but there is no substitute for practical experience.

Thanks

I have a 97k, had it for years, will never let it go, but in reality I am now shooting and killing more things with my PCP. Started PCP with a Kral and have now upgraded to a Crossman Bantam. All in .22. The Crossman is deadly accurate and easily drops magpies and Jackdaws from tree tops at 30-35 yards.

Edited by Fisheruk

11 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

I have a 97k, had it for years, will never let it go, but in reality I am now shooting and killing more things with my PCP. Started PCP with a Kral and have now upgraded to a Crossman Bantam. All in .22. The Crossman is deadly accurate and easily drops magpies and Jackdaws from tree tops at 30-35 yards.

hello, is the Crossman Bantam a pcp

You will have a job to beat HW97 in .177 or .22 ,some will say AA TX is better out of the box and even better would be LGU but my god they are heavy 

I have two HW 97 one in each cal , SFS IMP , A wonky donkey  tuned HW95 .22 . The wonky donkey HW95 is the best brake barrel I have shot.

I have an S200 mk 1 (purchased new) and its a really sweet little pcp, can even shoot it one handed if you want. I purchased a 2nd on board cylinder off of Evil Bay for under £50.00 and then I carry that (charged) as a field back up with out the need for a pump or lugging the diving bottle around. Also very handy when the filling port valve or seals fail and it has to be sent away for fettling.  In the period I have owned this rifle the only problems I have had have been the filling valve failing to hold the recharge of air and this was quickly remedied by my self, but you don`t want to do this in the field, even if you had the bits.

For an entry level light weight PCP with a match quality trigger, delivering a full 12 ft/lbs there is nothing not to like. In my view you would have to spend a lot of your hard earned to get even close to it  in a springer, a quite out standing little work horse.

38 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

I have an S200 mk 1 (purchased new) and its a really sweet little pcp, can even shoot it one handed if you want. I purchased a 2nd on board cylinder off of Evil Bay for under £50.00 and then I carry that (charged) as a field back up with out the need for a pump or lugging the diving bottle around. Also very handy when the filling port valve or seals fail and it has to be sent away for fettling.  In the period I have owned this rifle the only problems I have had have been the filling valve failing to hold the recharge of air and this was quickly remedied by my self, but you don`t want to do this in the field, even if you had the bits.

For an entry level light weight PCP with a match quality trigger, delivering a full 12 ft/lbs there is nothing not to like. In my view you would have to spend a lot of your hard earned to get even close to it  in a springer, a quite out standing little work horse.

Thanks you are strengthening my view I should keep hold of the 200 and get a good pump for it and possibly a spare on board cylinder. I do like it but have had to think about the practicalities now I lve north of the border.

2 hours ago, DC177 said:

I second the option to get a hand-pump. No point going back to the limitations of a springer, even if it is a good one.

I agree, my S200 could be topped up from a 100 bar to 155 bar in little more than a minute to give 45 shots. Anyone who can't pump for that long isn't fit enough to go shooting anyway let alone have a sex life! Some pumps on ebay aren't much more than £40. You could also look at getting the tube for a CZ 200 Hunter which has a bigger capacity but in reality the standard tube has enough air for any hunting situation. If you're plinking or target shooting that's a different story!

Get a pump off of Evilbay for £40.00 delivered. The latest pumps are made of Stainless and come with a quality whip and gauge, this ensures your independence from a divers bottle. It`s also capable of producing 4500 psi if you ever needed it.  As has been stated many times, you don`t need to take the on board air pressure to 200 bar just wasted effort, as long as you are in the sweet shooting pressure zone for the rifle probably somewhere between 120 to 180 bar will give you plenty of shots. Ultrastu is probably best able to quote you, but he would need to know what calibre you are shooting and the pellet.  I have a great advantage with my Mk1 in that I can adjust it`s ft/lb output from an external grub screw point, so I can ensure that I dont accidentally go over the legal limit. (I do have 2 chronographs of my own and 2 chronographs available at the club I run if I am not sure).

18 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Buy yourself a pump for around 100 quid and pump your tiny s200 up in less than a minute .and enjoy  the gun u already know and like .

Plus one on that. I have a AA S200 which I purchased second hand with a pump. As Stu says takes but a minute or so to get it up to 190 and I have yet to run out of steam but if I do the pump is in the Landie.  I love my little gun but the seven squirrels I have head shot in the last 48hrs do not agree :no:  Mine is the Mk1 with the square front stock and just sits so nicely on my shooting tables in my hides, patiently waiting customers.the magpie this morning was not so enthusiastic either. If your S200 is shooting accurately then keep it and buy a pump.

I've had a 97k in .22 for a good while now. Its far more accurate than am. I also have an ultra again far more accurate than me. When I reach for a gun 9 times out of 10 it will be the 97k. The tcp is OK but its a bit point a squeeze, you have to learn to shoot a springer. I'm your position I'd sell your surplus dive gear ad see if you could get a hand pump and a 2nd hand 97k.

As for "limitations of a springer" the only one really is the single shot issue. 

I also have a TX200 springer in 177 and it beats the S200 hands down on accuracy.  It is too heavy if you are carrying it around but for me I choose that more for shooting from static prepared locations.  I purchased the AA S200 for the walking around farm yards but have to admit to taking the TX200 because it so accurate.  It is the only springer I have had since my old BSA back in 1960 and I don't understand why people denigrate them, it's brilliant.

PCP v springer is like comparing an MX5 to BMW M3. They are both cars but soooo different, 97k and tx200 both VERY capable springers and VERY evenly matched. Both completely self contained but possibly heavier than their PCP counterpart. Have owned both a 200and a couple of 97s but I would only go back to using them exclusively if we could no longer own PCPs. 

So I would reflect that the guys above had said, get a good pump for the S200 you own and if you need a ‘grab and go’ rifle get yourself a tx200 or 97 as well! 

?