Cheap rifle for Ratting

duke748

Our glorious neighbours have a compost heap at the end of their garden which is a bit of a rat haven.

They've been wandering into our garden near the bird feeders and my 35 year old .177 just isn't up to snuff for the 30 yard range ( No sights - And the thing is like Jack Duckworths glasses - full of tape holding it together )

With that in mind I thought I'd allocate about £250 for a second hand rifle with a sight and just wondered if anyone can point me in the direction of a good bargain. Literally the best bang for the buck!

I'm based in mid-sussex for reference

Duke, 30 yards is a bit far for ratting really, quite difficult to get a certain kill shot. Wounded rats will crawl back to their holes and be eaten by other rats which will keep breeding.

If you get another rifle and are confident you can hit the killzone then set up a safe backstop and try to bait the rats to where you want them, google rat shooting and baits to get a good idea.

Be aware of neighbours and boundaries! I think the first thing to tackle though is your neighbours compost heap, if the rats are coming from there then they should be doing something about it, if they won't then contact the council and tell them you are being invaded by rats from a neighbouring property.