Would you take the shot #2

Graham M

Walking through a wood with my .22rf when I spotted a huge squirrel on the end of a branch right on the edge of the treeline. There are houses on the other side of the field some 200yds away; the shot was an easy one if I braced my self against a tree and shot off my sticks...............................................

Did I take the shot?:hmm:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Graham M said:

Walking through a wood with my .22rf when I spotted a huge squirrel on the end of a branch right on the edge of the treeline. There are houses on the other side of the field some 200yds away; the shot was an easy one if I braced my self against a tree and shot off my sticks...............................................

Did I take the shot?

We need a photo :good:

24 minutes ago, DC177 said:

Need a photo but any shot into trees with FAC is a no-no.

Unless you're well above the target and shooting down. I think this is an easier question to answer than mine

P.S. Should we tell his FEO/take his guns/report to mods etc.? ;)

Edited by spandit

.22 RF........is a bit undergunned for a HUGE SQUIRREL.....i would use a Styre 50 cal BA..........stuff the houses...if the general public knew there were squirrels as big as that they wouldnt care about deflections ...just as long as they were safe at night in their beds......................

8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

.22 RF........is a bit undergunned for a HUGE SQUIRREL.....i would use a Styre 50 cal BA..........stuff the houses...if the general public knew there were squirrels as big as that they wouldnt care about deflections ...just as long as they were safe at night in their beds......................

?

Graham you wicked boy.

As an aside, my current favorite sport is shooting crows perched in the oaks and on the fence posts a field away from my garden. There is something satisfying about sitting in the garden under the umbrella with a cup of tea and a dollop of jam and clotted cream and doing a bit of vermin control with the .204 at the same time.

Totally the wrong approach 

first go and sit in the pub garden get your gun out explain to the curiously and envious youth that you’re ridding the world of a man eating squirrel 

taking the shot knowing that the monster squirrel will absorb all of the kinetic energy and no chance of a exiting bullet from your 375HH solids 

shot taken and pint ordered with the youths returning with the squirrel and the branches from the tree 

mall to do now is cut the rest of the tree down to ensure nothing else can live in it so it never happens again 

result youth converted to country pursuit and country safe again ??

If we’re going to stir the pot a bit let’s do it properly. I shoot branchers with my .22rf each year; it’s quiet and effective to the extent I could easily wipe out an entire generation in one outing in that particular rookery if the fancy took me.

I also have a mate who cleans out squirrel dreys with his 22-250.

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

If we’re going to stir the pot a bit let’s do it properly. I shoot branchers with my .22rf each year; it’s quiet and effective to the extent I could easily wipe out an entire generation in one outing in that particular rookery if the fancy took me.

I also have a mate who cleans out squirrel dreys with his 22-250.

awesome dude...........:good:

bet the 22.250 dont alf sting,,..

Edited by ditchman

51 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Id still feel that's a bit on the light side for a pigeon... 

Well it is all down to good fieldcraft. I set the farthest decoy at 25yds so most of my shots are under that.If they will not decoy that close, then of course I go with 3" mag BB. Saves time on plucking and the dog has less to retrieve.

1 hour ago, AYA117 said:

Well it is all down to good fieldcraft. I set the farthest decoy at 25yds so most of my shots are under that.If they will not decoy that close, then of course I go with 3" mag BB. Saves time on plucking and the dog has less to retrieve.

Might have to look into that myself, would save mincing when making bunny burgers too. 

Ahh, no firearms cert for me, think I'll have to stick to the last of my RC50's and hope for the best. 

7 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

For rabbits, nothing less than 7x57 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

You’re a gent and sportsman sir is your real name 

carimojo bell ? 

This caliber is the sportsman’s choice for all dangerous game rabbits included 

Lots of youngsters just don’t realise the dangers of stalking the rabbit ?

7 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

You’re a gent and sportsman sir is your real name 

carimojo bell ? 

This caliber is the sportsman’s choice for all dangerous game rabbits included 

Lots of youngsters just don’t realise the dangers of stalking the rabbit ?

Yes the 7x57 in a Ruger No.1 is a fine rabbit gun, also very good in the rookery for branchers. It is a reasonable gun for decoying geese but limited as only single shot.Tend to use 12g slugs for all my goose shooting.

Edited by AYA117

9 hours ago, Graham M said:

Did I take the shot?

Out with an even bigger spoon.?

I hope you were going to eat the squirrel. If you are not going to eat your quarry you shouldn't kill it. ?️

3 hours ago, walshie said:

Your question was did YOU take the shot? No you didn't.

Probably... 

Probably doesn't enter the equation  :lol:

I have shot squirrels on the trunk of a tree with a rf, as the tree itself is the backstop. But shooting into the air with houses in the near distance........................... :w00t:

1 hour ago, Cranfield said:

Out with an even bigger spoon.?

I hope you were going to eat the squirrel. If you are not going to eat your quarry you shouldn't kill it. ?️

I've never actually eaten squirrel, but it would be interesting to give it a go.

I was reserve coroners officer back in the '60s and spoke with the coroners officer covering Barr Beacon the Brum/Black country guys will know where I mean.  A farmer took a shot at a crow atop an ash tree with a 22RF  the bullet went over the Beacon and hit a young woman in the neck sitting on the other side.   Don't believe I need to comment further.