Would you take the shot #2

Graham M

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Love these threads. Shooting possums out of trees with a rimfire is standard practice here. They are hard to kill. Air rifles are not really up to the job and shotguns are too noisy.

There are 4.7 million people in New Zealand and lots of space.

There are over 65+ million people in the UK and they are encroaching into the countryside at an alarming rate. So we really do have to be careful in case some eejit who has watched a couple of Schwarzenegger films ( this include politicians) is upset by the sound of gunfire.

5 hours ago, Graham M said:

There are 4.7 million people in New Zealand and lots of space.

There are over 65+ million people in the UK and they are encroaching into the countryside at an alarming rate. So we really do have to be careful in case some eejit who has watched a couple of Schwarzenegger films ( this include politicians) is upset by the sound of gunfire.

I really don’t care who gets upset by the sound of gunfire, I genuinely don’t. I refuse to pussyfoot or sneak about for fear of upsetting anyone while out shooting, with possible exception to proximity of houses at unreasonable hours. 

I wouldn’t  deliberately plan to upset anyone but if I’m within my legit business then that’s all I’m concerned about. 

30 minutes ago, Scully said:

I really don’t care who gets upset by the sound of gunfire, I genuinely don’t. I refuse to pussyfoot or sneak about for fear of upsetting anyone while out shooting, with possible exception to proximity of houses at unreasonable hours. 

I wouldn’t  deliberately plan to upset anyone but if I’m within my legit business then that’s all I’m concerned about. 

This ^^^^^^^^?

and as a note is not as if anyone ever asks if there fireworks would disturb me or my livestock 

14 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Love these threads. Shooting possums out of trees with a rimfire is standard practice here. They are hard to kill. Air rifles are not really up to the job and shotguns are too noisy.

Had an evening doing just that when visiting relatives in North Island but doubt if there was a human being within 10 miles of us. I was just glad the guys I was with knew the way home.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Totally agree, there are times when I have started shooting at first light and know I will wake some people up, but it is crop protection and if that is when they are hitting it then that is when I will be there, no complaints yet, but sure one day there will be. One thing I do, is stop at 9:30 on a Sunday morning on one place I shoot corvids as there is a church 2 fields away, I am not religious in any shape or form, but just seems right some how.

I can remember watching a cookery type programme on tv years ago .....................  I think kieth Floyd but not 100% sure but anyhow he was at some country house or the likes and needed some dove meat for  an old day recipe from when doves were kept as a food source .

so out comes the house owner with .22rf and proceeds to shoot half a dozen (if I remember rightly) white doves off the rooftop of the house and out buildings for the aforementioned recipe ................. fast forward to end of programme and the presenter and household sitting down tucking into the meal

I did look nice as well

1 hour ago, hodge911 said:

I can remember watching a cookery type programme on tv years ago .....................  I think kieth Floyd but not 100% sure but anyhow he was at some country house or the likes and needed some dove meat for  an old day recipe from when doves were kept as a food source .

so out comes the house owner with .22rf and proceeds to shoot half a dozen (if I remember rightly) white doves off the rooftop of the house and out buildings for the aforementioned recipe ................. fast forward to end of programme and the presenter and household sitting down tucking into the meal

I did look nice as well

Saw an old River Cottage prog' just recently where HFW and a friend had a cull of white doves in his friends garden. They were shooting .22RF's at the birds perched on the ridge tiles of the dove cote. 

1 hour ago, hodge911 said:

I did look nice as well 

is that a typo or are you saying that you were there? It does ring a bell as well.

I was quite enjoying the would you take the shot thread, seems all those with vast years of experience have just decided its funny??

On 23/06/2018 at 14:00, CharlieT said:

Graham you wicked boy.

As an aside, my current favorite sport is shooting crows perched in the oaks and on the fence posts a field away from my garden. There is something satisfying about sitting in the garden under the umbrella with a cup of tea and a dollop of jam and clotted cream and doing a bit of vermin control with the .204 at the same time.

We know that the Cornish do things a bit differently, but as this is the first I've heard of this, which goes in the tea first, the cream or the jam? Think I'll stay with the scones though.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Yes i think you took the shot from a different angle shooting away from the houses. So the miss would land safely or into a back stop.

No Figgy , I didn't take the shot. There wasn't a safe option, as even if I had moved to the side the shot could have gone over onto the road. The other side could have sent the shot over onto the farm and gawd know where it could have landed or who it may have hit. 

It was a very shallow angle, which means the bullet would have gone for quite a way before coming down onto terra firma ( or corpus hominis ).

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 16:53, Scully said:

Saw an old River Cottage prog' just recently where HFW and a friend had a cull of white doves in his friends garden. They were shooting .22RF's at the birds perched on the ridge tiles of the dove cote. 

may have been that one and I,m getting my wires crossed on the presenter ........... did they show them eating the meal at the end or I may be at crossed ends with that as well but I can for sure remember them shooting doves off the rooftop with .22rf

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 16:57, Mice! said:

is that a typo or are you saying that you were there? It does ring a bell as well.

I was quite enjoying the would you take the shot thread, seems all those with vast years of experience have just decided its funny??

sorry don't get your point/meaning mate ?

I meant the meal looked nice

my point in posting was that tv programme showed it to be acceptable to shoot birds from a rooftop with .22rf

something most shooters would agree is a very iffy practice and should not really be done .............................. unless there is miles of clear ground surrounding where you shoot from and I mean MILES from the building in all directions is clear open space and even then you cant really be 100% certain on where a missed round will end up

Edited by hodge911

Yes, that’s the one.

I won’t judge anyone; only the person on the spot is in a position to know if the shot is safe or not. 

I was criticised on this forum a long time ago, for shooting branchers from their perches with my .22rf. It is something I’ve done for as long as I’ve been shooting and was very pleased to read an article many years ago in Sporting Gun, by regular contributor Richard Brigham, describing how he shoots branchers in exactly the same way as me. Strangely, he was never castigated for this as far as I know.

Each to their own. 

As I have never owned a rifle and don't really intend to I don't feel qualified to offer any advise on what to do and what not to do , but I have owned shotguns and still do for well over 50 years and to me the simple answer to the above thread seems all that is needed is common sense , would I risk firing a gun near where people are sitting , no I wouldn't and if I was sitting there I wouldn't expect anyone to fire a gun near me , weather the person was within the law or just thinking it was safe to take a shot , then again , common sense seems to be in short supply on some of these threads .

I can’t agree that common sense regarding shooters is in short supply. Think of all the shots that must be taken in the UK by the hundreds of thousand of UK shooters per annum, and then think of all the numbers of the general public per annum who are shot by UK shooters whilst going about their lawful business.