advice on milling...........

ditchman

30 minutes ago, spandit said:

I do a bit of turning on the lathe. What do you need help with? If I can't assist there's a professional machinist next door

my quandry is this

i spend a fair ammont of time in my shed ..and from time to time i need a bit of milling done.....i usually give it to my mate and he does it then gives it back....

i have 2 drill presses (budget)....but when i lock them off at various heights there is ZERO play on the chuck which is good.....i have been looking at these cheapish cross vices on Amazon they vary from £29-60 quid...........

has anyone used them are they any good for small milling jobs.......?

33 minutes ago, ditchman said:

my quandry is this

i spend a fair ammont of time in my shed ..and from time to time i need a bit of milling done.....i usually give it to my mate and he does it then gives it back....

i have 2 drill presses (budget)....but when i lock them off at various heights there is ZERO play on the chuck which is good.....i have been looking at these cheapish cross vices on Amazon they vary from £29-60 quid...........

has anyone used them are they any good for small milling jobs.......?

Simon , your gona need a bigger shed soon .?

Simon

The cross slide vices are not really man enough to mill with , they are ok if drilling but you will find that you will get to much vibration. Pro con do a small compound table about 200mm square but it is about £200 have a look at the Axminster website, they do all the tools you would want

4 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

Simon

The cross slide vices are not really man enough to mill with , they are ok if drilling but you will find that you will get to much vibration. Pro con do a small compound table about 200mm square but it is about £200 have a look at the Axminster website, they do all the tools you would want

thank you for that............it was what i was wondering about.............most of those cheapos advertise them as milling /drilling...which is a bit naughty..i will have a look at axminster........

1 hour ago, Stimo22 said:

Simon

Agree. I went that route and it does not do the job.  OK if all you need is a rough job, a slot cut which doesn't have to be spot on, then it's ok but certainly nowhere near precision.

I have an Axminster near to me and I  leave my credit card at home and just take the cash I have available that week:unhappy:  Got some real good stuff in there mind.

I have a Clarke pillar drill and have, with a budget X-Y vice successfully milled small parts gingerly in Aluminium , Plastics and Hardwood. I would not though attempt anything really hard despite having bits that are up to the job. For the small amount that I do, the set up works for me. For steel I would seek an engineering workshop with the right equipment.

I have milled aluminium on my drill press, but the results weren't elegant.

My father had given me his old Chinese lathe with a milling attachment which he used successfully in his clock business, milling brass.

I have not had time to set it up yet, but I suspect that it will be only up to light work.

Have a look at Chronos or rdgtools as cheaper alternatives to Axminster.

I’ve always received a 5% discount loyalty card with any rdg order...you could probably blag it if ordering over the phone or use it on the website (doesn’t work on their eBay store) ... code is 12769 (same number on 2 cards to hand, so I’m sure you’d get it on a phone order.....don’t think they even asked me on my last order after I told them I had a card in front of me ?)

Cheers

Fizz

Doubt it'd be solid enough ditchy, might get away with it for some light work in plastic or ally but definetly no steel! 

I don't tend to do any milling work, go on the cnc mill if we're short but do have c axis milling on one lathe, you'd be surprised how much that shakes even a big lathe about when it gets cutting, even in soft steels.