advice on milling...........

ditchman

42 minutes ago, daveboy said:

Better than money in the bank.......will never go down in value..?

i know i know i know..................its just i aint got any money in the bank...:lol:

(anyway...i know you have one in the garage now )..:ninja:

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, rovercoupe said:

If you change your mind im heading to norwich in a couple of weeks time, could bring it down with me. 

What a tease ??

probably a waste of time ditchy but have a look around the car boot sales you never know what might show up. 

22 minutes ago, Mice! said:

What a tease ??

probably a waste of time ditchy but have a look around the car boot sales you never know what might show up. 

if i found something like that at a car boot sale i would mess me pants..:lol:..

Unfortunately most pillar drills are not designed for side loading on the bearings and will break easily trying to mill anything other than what you have seen.

Second hand milling machines come up at reasonable cost if you have the space to keep one. I been looking at combo lathes with milling head on them.

You can get big milling machines cheap on eBay... I've seen them Sell when auctioned for less than the rental cost of the lorry you would need to pick them up with. Be warned if you do get a big milling machine they weigh a lot. Are top heavy. And will try to crush you flat when inexpertly moved. 

Drill press you will be able to in accurately cut some steel on the XY vice. I have an XY vice and simply all I use it for is to position a work piece exactly where I want it. When I'm tool making and want to grind something that's awkward to hold on the cutter grinder for some reason I can use the x/y vice for rough grinding work too, the surface finish isn't bad! 

The drill press is designed for drilling, and working with downward pressure. Even if you knock out the bearings and put some in that will cope with lateral force then you will find other issues. The flex in post that the head is mounted on, the movement in the quill, the lack of measurable vertical feed and the fact that the XY vices have the build quality of a happy meal toy are the least of your concerns. A milling machine has a draw bar which keeps the chuck or collet held tight into the machine. The drI'll press does not have this and it would be a big job to drill out through that thin spline shaft to make provisions. Without the draw bar eventually the chuck will vibrate it's was out of the machine and if your lucky it will make a mess of things somewhere and if your unlucky you might have a chuck with a shiny new end mill flying at your face at a few RPM's 

8 hours ago, demonwolf444 said:

You can get big milling machines cheap on eBay... I've seen them Sell when auctioned for less than the rental cost of the lorry you would need to pick them up with. Be warned if you do get a big milling machine they weigh a lot. Are top heavy. And will try to crush you flat when inexpertly moved. 

Drill press you will be able to in accurately cut some steel on the XY vice. I have an XY vice and simply all I use it for is to position a work piece exactly where I want it. When I'm tool making and want to grind something that's awkward to hold on the cutter grinder for some reason I can use the x/y vice for rough grinding work too, the surface finish isn't bad! 

The drill press is designed for drilling, and working with downward pressure. Even if you knock out the bearings and put some in that will cope with lateral force then you will find other issues. The flex in post that the head is mounted on, the movement in the quill, the lack of measurable vertical feed and the fact that the XY vices have the build quality of a happy meal toy are the least of your concerns. A milling machine has a draw bar which keeps the chuck or collet held tight into the machine. The drI'll press does not have this and it would be a big job to drill out through that thin spline shaft to make provisions. Without the draw bar eventually the chuck will vibrate it's was out of the machine and if your lucky it will make a mess of things somewhere and if your unlucky you might have a chuck with a shiny new end mill flying at your face at a few RPM's 

Bit ot but reminds me of being back in school where some dillard came and asked me for help on the lathe and when I got there they had put a bit of round bar in the chuck and not tighened it up and set it running, some poo came out of me when i saw it, another time some clot started the pillar drill with the chuck key in it and it shot over the room into the brazing area and made a decent dent in the extractor!