Barley Frustration

It was interesting that in the week I commented on a post" Don't come on here much now" that I report each week to prove what is achievable. So todays post will prove that.

After covering seventy miles looking at barley we finally found one farm with blow holes and the birds droping in. Had a chat with the farmer and he told us the way through the farm to get to the fields we had seen from the road. As we drove down the grass field next to the barley two hundred birds lifted from the field and surrounding trees. So we set up close to a tree in the field with two blow holes in front of us. Magnet in the blow hole and ten fresh birds on cradles in the tram lines. First bird straight in, boom , result, subsequent birds all veered off. It was now 14.00 and too late to move farms so we stuck it out . This farm has seven separate fields of barley all around the farm and not next to each other, so I headed off the spook the birds off the other fields. In the mean time DB had moved the magnet, switched it off , put out more flyers in the barley. None of these moves made much difference. When I returned form my tour of the farm I suggested that we put some decoys on the grass field behind us as I had seen birds down on grass around the farm. We took ten birds we had shot on the barley and put them out on the grass behind us. Birds then overflew the barley and set for the grass , we eventually moved the magnet from the barley too the grass and more birds committed. We had set up for 14.00 and shot till 18.30 and picked up sixtyone pigeons and one crow. When I returned home and laid out the birds Bunny_Blaster pulled up as we pool our birds prior to my drive to Greece and he had a wonderful bag of one hundred and ninety birds off barley 

100_3178.jpg

61 Pigeon 1 crow

1 hour ago, dead eye alan said:

Anouther fine bag sir have a great holiday.

58 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Will miss your excellent reports whilst you are away PC.

Do you not get withdrawal symptoms ?

Have a good holiday and safe journey.

OB

I still have a couple of week before I go on holiday so you will see some reports, what BB and I do is fill my freezers before we go and leave his ready and empty then I clear mine out and leave empty for my return the week I go away. 

Yes o

Old Boggy , I do get withdrawal symptoms but I go sea fishing in the mornings and I went into Brum on Friday and bought some more camo net material to keep me busy.

Another nice report , I think barley is more frustrating when like this year there is very little gone down , certainly not on anywhere on my shooting land , yesterday I looked at several barley fields and any with telegraph wires running across had pigeons sitting on them .

With very hot and dry weather forecasted for the coming week we will soon be looking on stubble fields which I recon are four weeks away . but until then I hope to get a few on the cut margins around the standing crop fields .

P S ..... I liked the bold print , first time I could read it without putting my reading glasses on :good: 

5 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Another nice report , I think barley is more frustrating when like this year there is very little gone down , certainly not on anywhere on my shooting land , yesterday I looked at several barley fields and any with telegraph wires running across had pigeons sitting on them .

With very hot and dry weather forecasted for the coming week we will soon be looking on stubble fields which I recon are four weeks away . but until then I hope to get a few on the cut margins around the standing crop fields .

P S ..... I liked the bold print , first time I could read it without putting my reading glasses on :good: 

The bold print was by accident, I pressed the wrong combination of buttons somehow. I'm not sure how to get out of it but it is easier to read I will accept. It's amazing that we can see birds to shoot or are they just grey blobs?????

37 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

The bold print was by accident, I pressed the wrong combination of buttons somehow. I'm not sure how to get out of it but it is easier to read I will accept. It's amazing that we can see birds to shoot or are they just grey blobs?????

You are like me in that if anything different happens on your computer you don’t know how to deal with it. As for ‘grey blobs’, it’s just instinct unless one is shooting in glasses or contact lenses.

3 hours ago, JDog said:

You are like me in that if anything different happens on your computer you don’t know how to deal with it. As for ‘grey blobs’, it’s just instinct unless one is shooting in glasses or contact lenses.

Thanks JDog, I thought it was just me . I tried shooting in sun glasses and it was so difficult I gave up. 

2 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Thanks JDog, I thought it was just me . I tried shooting in sun glasses and it was so difficult I gave up. 

I shoot in sunglasses it's all about the fit I like fox rap around glasses, polarized lens and you don't see the nose bridge on the glasses,my brother had my old set and he loves them also, great in sunny weather.

8 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

I think after a while your eyes are trained on any thing you pursue , in my case I can see wildfowl in bad light and yet when I get home have to put my reading glasses on to read the papers .

Same with pigeons , one problem I have if I am looking towards the west in the afternoon when the sun is going down , if the pigeons have got a dark background I have a problem picking them out until they are nearly up to the decoys , still a lot of people have got bigger problems than that , so I can live with that and truthfully speaking have very little to moan about .

14 hours ago, marsh man said:

I think after a while your eyes are trained on any thing you pursue , in my case I can see wildfowl in bad light and yet when I get home have to put my reading glasses on to read the papers .

Same with pigeons , one problem I have if I am looking towards the west in the afternoon when the sun is going down , if the pigeons have got a dark background I have a problem picking them out until they are nearly up to the decoys , still a lot of people have got bigger problems than that , so I can live with that and truthfully speaking have very little to moan about .

We have a have a standing joke,  if the hide is in a prominent position with a good view in front the dog will stir and wimper as we both strain our eyes to see a very low bird approaching below the sky line. 

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

We have a have a standing joke,  if the hide is in a prominent position with a good view in front the dog will stir and wimper as we both strain our eyes to see a very low bird approaching below the sky line. 

I am glad I am not the only one , could well be age related :yes:, some have better eyesight than others, but I think it will catch up with us all at some time as the years roll on ,  

I am not quite as old as you MM, nor PC for that matter but I think you two (and one or two others on this forum) do very well for your age.

I am told by my occasional shooting companions that I have good eyesight for spotting pigeons in the distance. I always say that I can see a Blue tit at half a mile yet I cannot read a book or the computer without spectacles.

21 hours ago, JDog said:

I am not quite as old as you MM, nor PC for that matter but I think you two (and one or two others on this forum) do very well for your age.

I am told by my occasional shooting companions that I have good eyesight for spotting pigeons in the distance. I always say that I can see a Blue tit at half a mile yet I cannot read a book or the computer without spectacles.

Ha ha me too canot see anything clearly close up but i can see the moon as clear as day.

Pigeon controller just wondering what gun, cartridge and chokes you use? 

I had my first go alone on pigeons yesterday and managed to have 10 in about 3 hours and was very happy with that! 

About the halfway point I was on 9 for 13 shots but then proceeded to have 4 pigeons I missed with both barrels! ?‍♂️?‍♂️ 

I finished up with 10 birds for 22 shot, although I was happy with that :) just interested to hear what others are using...

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Pigeon controller just wondering what gun, cartridge and chokes you use? 

I had my first go alone on pigeons yesterday and managed to have 10 in about 3 hours and was very happy with that! 

About the halfway point I was on 9 for 13 shots but then proceeded to have 4 pigeons I missed with both barrels! ?‍♂️?‍♂️ 

I finished up with 10 birds for 22 shot, although I was happy with that :) just interested to hear what others are using...

Hi Lloyd, since January this year due to customer requests I have been shooting a 686 Beretta Silver Pigeon, Lyavale Hunting Steel 32gram No 5 shot. I shoot the upper barrel first on 1/4 choke and the lower barrel second on 1/2 choke. My advice is don't start with how many cartridges used , just make the first shot count and if you miss follow through and make the second definitely count. All the best.

35 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Hi Lloyd, since January this year due to customer requests I have been shooting a 686 Beretta Silver Pigeon, Lyavale Hunting Steel 32gram No 5 shot. I shoot the upper barrel first on 1/4 choke and the lower barrel second on 1/2 choke. My advice is don't start with how many cartridges used , just make the first shot count and if you miss follow through and make the second definitely count. All the best.

Thanks mate ????