Ladder trap and shoiting

Bluebarrels

IMAG0983_1.jpg.4fdc50cc32a3db2af6c7d09800d05ebd.jpg

Another 36 shot 27 picked with the .410 yesterday,that takes the bag to 340 shot over the last couple of weeks with the Hushpower.

Ladder trap was put out last week and is doing very well so a combined total as I type this out is just over 600 birds,and they keep coming thick and fast lol,BB

I use a random pattern of 15 crow decoys,then leave the shot birds where they fall,if birds start flaring away I pop out and make sure non are belly up.I don't bother with a call,if they are there in good numbers and willing to commit I don't think you need one.

First couple of outings I struggled with the Hushpowers large barrel/mod but there cracking guns when you get use to them,BB

More effective than shooting PC,and the good thing is its active 24-7.just make sure the ladder does not extend to the sides of the trap! Otherwise they will clamber up the wire and escape.This happened to us yesterday ,80+ in the trap when I walked past at 05:30 and 5 in the trap an hour later lol,we've boarded the ends now,so should keep em contained lol.

Edited by Bluebarrels

22 minutes ago, Bluebarrels said:

I use a random pattern of 15 crow decoys,then leave the shot birds where they fall,if birds start flaring away I pop out and make sure non are belly up.I don't bother with a call,if they are there in good numbers and willing to commit I don't think you need one.

First couple of outings I struggled with the Hushpowers large barrel/mod but there cracking guns when you get use to them,BB

As above , as long as the crow is in a natural position, not lay on it's back with wings out they will decoy. If there is a breeze two or three low floaters also work. Threw my crow calls away years ago. The Hushpower takes an hour or two to get used to but my Mossy 410 now feels almost normal and out to 40yrds will put crows down no problem. When they are decoying well they come like ducks to water, straight in low and slow.    

Edited by Walker570

PLUS!!!  your doing a service for the farmer where you wil certainly gain brownie points for pigeon shooting.

Not enough of us doing our bit on tree rats either. One of my farms has two very productive walnut trees and they a) don't have time to harvest them b) the tree rats clear them all up.

This year will be different because I will clear the ground beneath the trees and I have already set up a flip feeder and killed three in four days.  The farmer couldn't thank me enough.

35 minutes ago, JDog said:

What would the countryside be like if Countrymen didn’t shoot or trap foxes, corvids, squirrels, rats etc?

Overpopulated JDog,a month ago hardly any corvid activity it's just exploded,especially the Jackdaws,but they are the best shooting imo,BB

1 hour ago, Bluebarrels said:

Next to pigeon shooting,Corvid shooting is the next best thing.All the shooters that reckon shooting corvids is a waste of a cartridge don't know what they are missing  

If I had to choose pigeon or corvids the corvids would be first we had 72 last weekend it would have been a lot more if they hadn't been cattle in the field trampling on the decoys 

9 hours ago, Bluebarrels said:

Overpopulated JDog,a month ago hardly any corvid activity it's just exploded,especially the Jackdaws,but they are the best shooting imo,BB

Looking at your bag, there is high proportion of young uns and most of them leave the Rookery or the woods from the third week in May , that might be part of the reason why you are seeing big numbers now.

We move the Crow cage every three to four weeks now that the hay making is in full swing , not so much fun but like you say they are working seven days a week for very little expense,