Does anyone else trap Crayfish?

theboycalledleaf

Using fish off cuts from the fish monger, we baited and laid 14 traps on a local lake this weekend. Permission and permits are in place from the EA I might add.

Laid and lifted 3 times we caught 215 of the little *******! 

A tasty morsel, makes you feel you're doing your bit and good fun as the kids squeal while picking them up.

Anyone else?

Would they go well with a Grey Squirrel? Pigeon and Crayfish paella?

IMG_20180624_095621.jpg

Crayfish are delicious. 

My lad set one  of his traps in a drainage ditch a few years ago , when we checked the trap the following morning,  it contained a 5lb trout lol, on day 2 it contained a 3.5lb trout , and on day 3 it contained a 1.5lb trout and a 1.5lb eel.

39 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Crayfish are delicious. 

My lad set one  of his traps in a drainage ditch a few years ago , when we checked the trap the following morning,  it contained a 5lb trout lol, on day 2 it contained a 3.5lb trout , and on day 3 it contained a 1.5lb trout and a 1.5lb eel.

hello, thats a mighty fine drainage ditch mel b are your sure it was not the river TEST:lol:

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, well done leaf, there are plenty in the Thames and yes once you get the EA approval another tasty source of food can be caught, we have a chap here with over 50 pots out and makes a tidy sum selling up in london.

I think the key thing is to sell them on to the pubs and restaurants whole and possibly live. Under a commercial licence of course.

I boiled my share of 120 and gave away 40 of those to a neighbour who also likes a brace of pheasants too.

Shelling 80 was a chore. Tasty but still a chore!

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thats a mighty fine drainage ditch mel b are your sure it was not the river TEST

Lol , it was a drainage ditch with very little water in ,God knows how the trout even got in there in the first place.

11 hours ago, Scotty1980 said:

Love too, wouldn't know where to start. 

Find out if there's crayfish in your area.

Approach an angling club to see if there's a population and if they want help.

Apply for license from the EA, one pet trap.

Bait with anything from cat food to fish guts. Meaty works well.

Take home your spoils and enjoy!

22 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Crayfish are delicious. 

When we were kids me and my mates would go camping to Bewdley, we camped on the left hand bank going upstream from the bridge till we got to Dowles brook, the brook was only about 3 foot wide and a foot deep and in some places during the summer months it was just a trickle and only about 3 inches deep, it always amazed me how many trout this brook held, once we made camp we would go into the woods and cut some hazel sticks and make three prong fishing spears, it was very rare that we came back empty handed and most outings produced 2 or 3 fish for our camp dinner, and of course we always took my BSA Airsporter to vary the diet, happy times, doubt kids could do that now.

On 24/06/2018 at 09:56, theboycalledleaf said:

Using fish off cuts from the fish monger, we baited and laid 14 traps on a local lake this weekend. Permission and permits are in place from the EA I might add.

Laid and lifted 3 times we caught 215 of the little *******! 

A tasty morsel, makes you feel you're doing your bit and good fun as the kids squeal while picking them up.

Anyone else?

Would they go well with a Grey Squirrel? Pigeon and Crayfish paella?

IMG_20180624_095621.jpg

Is this a problem at Frensham Pond?

If only we could train the killer adders to hunt crayfish...

18 hours ago, Scotty1980 said:

Love too, wouldn't know where to start. 

hello, contact some local fishing clubs with ponds/lakes/river, i am sure once you get the EA permits etc they would be pleased to get rid of them, you can buy pots off ebay check out daveys pots the plastic tunnel ones i think better but take up more room,  

3 hours ago, Flashman said:

Is this a problem at Frensham Pond?

If only we could train the killer adders to hunt crayfish...

I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

I'm not sure the National Trust would allow it's Adders to become trained killers. Especially as they have enough trouble organising their parking on a sunny day.......

Are you local to Frensham? I beat near there.

16 minutes ago, martyn2233 said:

Anyone know where to go in East Yorkshire near goole dn14 love to try this 

The native White Clawed Crayfish are in the Driffield Beck. Taking even one could cost you a lot of money in fines. Signal Crayfish are the ones pictured previously and they are the invaders. It is however too late to stop their spread.

3 hours ago, JDog said:

The native White Clawed Crayfish are in the Driffield Beck. Taking even one could cost you a lot of money in fines. Signal Crayfish are the ones pictured previously and they are the invaders. It is however too late to stop their spread.

It may be too late to stop them spreading but that's no reason not to try, and if there tasty as well then that's a bonus.

17 hours ago, theboycalledleaf said:

I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

I'm not sure the National Trust would allow it's Adders to become trained killers. Especially as they have enough trouble organising their parking on a sunny day.......

Are you local to Frensham? I beat near there.

Yes, in sunny Haslemere

On 25/06/2018 at 17:27, JDog said:

Some waters that have Signal Cray problems forbid trapping as they still have native Crays and don't want to risk those. I guess some people wouldn't put the natives back in safely, or those in control dare not take a chance. 

On 25 June 2018 at 17:27, JDog said:

I'm on it this weekend, I live in Hutton!! Next stop for me, the Environment Agency website.

GG