Does anyone else trap Crayfish?

theboycalledleaf

21 hours ago, John_R said:

Some waters that have Signal Cray problems forbid trapping as they still have native Crays and don't want to risk those. I guess some people wouldn't put the natives back in safely, or those in control dare not take a chance. 

Have heard of one instance of that, Worcestershire.

On 26/06/2018 at 23:03, timmytree said:

There was a bloke on the Thames near Lechlade last week, catching them with a landing net and a can of pilchards.

For anyone who wants to make their own traps, google "pillow traps."

hello, the Thames is stuffed with the blighters that is why there are fewer course fish, the campers at Letchlade often catch them for the barbi

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, the Thames is stuffed with the blighters that is why there are fewer course fish, the campers at Letchlade often catch them for the barbi

Very rare to see one down this way on the Thames. 

Chinese mitten crabs are a nuisance here and pretty much all the way downstream. 

12 minutes ago, John_R said:

Very rare to see one down this way on the Thames. 

Chinese mitten crabs are a nuisance here and pretty much all the way downstream. 

hello, thats interesting John, how did they get in the thames? ah just had a google, ah something about a boat in the 1930s

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Mitten crabs have been in the Thames lower reaches since the 70s believed to be the result of ballast water released from ships.

They have spread upstream ever since, cause trouble by burrowing into the banks, Richmond area having a lot of damage now.

In China they do eat them.

Also we see Zebra mussels and floating pennywort as non native invasive species here.

Edited by John_R

30 minutes ago, Bluebarrels said:

Not far from me,Fresham pond is having problems with poisonous algae at the minute due to the hot weather.

I remember swimming in Frensham Great pond with the surrounding area burnt to a carpet of black,  probably that summer of 76 or around then. 

Can I add, its best to use tinned bait such as budget tuna in brine. Just puncture a few holes in the lid place it in the trap and chuck it in the water. 

I used to trap 100's of them and found if you put fish bits in there, the first come crayfish will just eat it after ripping the bait pouch to shreads, no more bait and no further attraction for others, but a tin of tuna will continue to attract them into the trap all day long as they cant actually get at the fish, 

Tuna in oil does work but the oil floats to the top and dosnt spread about the water like brine does.