Moderated .410 - Range

kennett

I am currently having a "discussion" on Facebook with a couple of people who claim a moderated .410 is a reliable tool for 40+ yd shooting.  While I know the pellets have the energy, I argued that the pattern at that range will be non existent. Am I thinking along the right lines or has my whole shooting career been a sham?!

30 yds tops .Anything beyond is total fluke .. 

I like my birds around 20 yds .were the pattern has opened up enough but not too wide as to leave huge gaps .

So for me the ideal range is 15 -25 yds .

To be fair 40 yds is kinda the max range for my modded 20 b  45 yds is definatly too far to be reliable .. And thats with 32 grm loads .

If using Eley four long or subsonic (even mag) I’d say 20-25 MAX on pigeons, ideally less, ok on static rabbits at 25 (the ideal use in my opinion) I had a baikal and sold it, it didn’t gave a big enough role in my shooting.

I have spent quite a but of time patterning various 3 inch 410 loads and come to the conclusion that the best shot size is UK 7. the best patterns I have achieved have been with my own reloads using the Folkeston Enginnering load data and their felt wads and not actually weighing the load but pouring to a point where I have worked out the cartridge will crimp cleanly. This actually works out at 18.5g.  That is at a measured (tape) 35yrds and with full choke it gives a very good tight pattern.

I shoot almost exclusively 410 ..20 to 24 days driven each year and a fair few days flighting or decoying and a 35yrd bird is a good average bird on any but the specific 'high bird' shoots of which I have no interest whatsoever.   Unless you have actually measured a distance then it is difficult to judge.

The poplar trees in my wood now measure on average 80ft (27yrds) and a pigeon flying over will probably be 10ft above those maybe more, so that is 30yrds and the Mossy will take them out no problem.     The longest shot I have cleanly killed a bird was a crossing cock pheasant which dropped like a stone and I paced it to the point a local game keeper said my shot hit it and that was 52 paces ...probably 45yrds.    

Having said all of that I believe a sensible estmate of killing range of a well choked 410 throwing a good pattern ...and there is more argument between regular about which is the best cartridge ... is 35-40yrds  BUT   I would also say that for my Rem 1100 16 gauge,  or my 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge.

I think there is more of a tendency by 12 gauge users to try their luck at an extended range where pricking the bird is very likely.  I shoot a number of dedicated 410 days and notice users are far more sensible in their target selection.

I'd agree  with the OP. 

Whilst the pellets will undoubtedly have the energy to kill pigeons at that range, there are going to be huge holes in the pattern. Very easy to strike a bird with a single pellet, leading to a slow, suffering death.

My moderated 410 is largely used around rearing pens, where it's a great tool for not causing distress to the poults, but is very effective on the squirrels and jackdaws. 

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have spent quite a but of time patterning various 3 inch 410 loads and come to the conclusion that the best shot size is UK 7. the best patterns I have achieved have been with my own reloads using the Folkeston Enginnering load data and their felt wads and not actually weighing the load but pouring to a point where I have worked out the cartridge will crimp cleanly. This actually works out at 18.5g.  That is at a measured (tape) 35yrds and with full choke it gives a very good tight pattern.

I shoot almost exclusively 410 ..20 to 24 days driven each year and a fair few days flighting or decoying and a 35yrd bird is a good average bird on any but the specific 'high bird' shoots of which I have no interest whatsoever.   Unless you have actually measured a distance then it is difficult to judge.

The poplar trees in my wood now measure on average 80ft (27yrds) and a pigeon flying over will probably be 10ft above those maybe more, so that is 30yrds and the Mossy will take them out no problem.     The longest shot I have cleanly killed a bird was a crossing cock pheasant which dropped like a stone and I paced it to the point a local game keeper said my shot hit it and that was 52 paces ...probably 45yrds.    

Having said all of that I believe a sensible estmate of killing range of a well choked 410 throwing a good pattern ...and there is more argument between regular about which is the best cartridge ... is 35-40yrds  BUT   I would also say that for my Rem 1100 16 gauge,  or my 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge.

I think there is more of a tendency by 12 gauge users to try their luck at an extended range where pricking the bird is very likely.  I shoot a number of dedicated 410 days and notice users are far more sensible in their target selection.

I can only assume there is a huge difference in game speed 410 loads and subsonic Eleys or similar (which I had assumed op would use through moderated gun)

Because of the more limited payloads, this I where I believe a no.8 shot to be effective. Dense patterns with 18gm loads, and enough energy to cleanly kill pigeons at 35 yards. This would be about the limit of range for me, but I would be happier to shoot them at 30 yards and under with a .410.

3 hours ago, motty said:

Because of the more limited payloads, this I where I believe a no.8 shot to be effective. Dense patterns with 18gm loads, and enough energy to cleanly kill pigeons at 35 yards. This would be about the limit of range for me, but I would be happier to shoot them at 30 yards and under with a .410.

Yep I agree, I shoot Fiocchi #8s if not my own loads,  they equiv to UK 71/4 -1/2 something like that and I also get super patterns with these and tend to use them when shooting early partridge and I am using the #2 chokes in the Yilditz.  I would say my Mossy is cloe to full choke as it throws very similar patterns.

I have tried the so called sub sonics and to be honest cannot tell the difference sound wise and as I said on another thread, I have shot these close to the farm house and the farmers wife was unaware I was shooting.

Mark Knibbs suggested I try the Hull High Pheasant #6 and I shot those towards the end of last season and they performed equally to Fiocchi.