Horse fly bites

PPP

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, walshie said:

Anthisan cream. :good:

Tried that, swear by it usually but no impact..

Jungle Formula bite relief also no use..

39 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

Buy a good fly repelling had the same trouble while clay shooting this morning used Jungle Formula it kept them  away

Feltwad

Was using boots equivalent but picked up some jungle formula for next time...

Ice pack helps, also rubbing salty water into it. On holiday I had a hand the same off marsh mozzies. The sea water rubbed in was the only thing that took it down for a while before it swelled again. Next day more sea water until it subsided. Wife was threatening making me go to the medical emergency place. 

57 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

My hand ballooned for 4 days, cream and grin and bare it was my way of doing it. But god damn it was not fun. 

It’s is rubbish... luckily the swelling not as mad as last time when I ended up with bulging crusty hulk arm , looked like steroid over use or as it was only one arm too much time alone...

I've been put on 500mg flucloxacillin anti biotic tablets for bites. I got one on my left hand 3 weeks ago and one one my right hand this week. Doc said keep taking them with anti inflammatory tabs and see the course out. It's working, but you must see the course of tabs out prevent possible complications.  Which is interesting.

I’ve got nothing to add for the OP other than “get well soon”, however, I wanted to comment that this is the first year in over 20 years that I have been bitten by a horse fly.

Luckily it was on my forearm, and I swatted the little chancer away the moment I felt it.

Only slight inflammation, and itching, but it’s all but gone now after 8 days.

Anyway, are there more of them about than usual at the moment? I saw another thread about horse flies - is it just a coincidence?

LS

I read on shootclay website that if you have a strong insect repellent on your hands or face you can take the top layer of varnish or wood oil off a stock in an instant.

We are covered in Horse Flies this year down on our farm in Hastings.  My mums 30 stable livery yard, and the dairy herd of cattle next door they are bloody everywhere.

Don't where anything red.  If I stop the Honda quad and step away from it and look back it is instantly covered in Horse flies.  My only other tip is if you're a smoker. I got bitten once and an old boy I was with lit up his embassy number 1, took a drag, and then held the red hot bit really close to the bite.  It was really uncomfortable. Within a few minutes the bite had pretty much gone.  He said it was to do with the bite leaving a big shot of protein and the heat breaking it instantly down. Don't know the science, but it worked!

Yep, I use Jungle Formula on any exposed bits. VERY muggy down my wood this afternoon and was expecting to have some around us but they did not turn up.

For all insect bites and any irritating itchy problems, healing cuts as well as new cuts abrasions, as I said on the other thread I use Germolene Antiseptic Dual Action cream which has phenol and Chlorhexidine Digluconate in it and acts as a local anaesthetic and will numb soreness and pain.  Swear by it.   Permethrin around your socks and trousers for ticks if you can still get it. It kills 'em as well as deters.

22 minutes ago, Novice said:

I had horseflys biting me THROUGH a long sleeved top at the weekend.. 

Are you sure they were horse flies.  A horse fly actually 'cuts' your skin with a ' blade' which is part of it's mouth structure. It doesn't bite like a mossy which inserts a hollow 'needle' to suck your blood.  The horsefly distributes an anti coagulant on the cut and then 'laps' the blood.  It is the female which does the biting/blood lapping, the male feeds on pollen and such.

I have had some big mossies get me through a thin shirt and that may be what had you.

Exactly as in the pic. Horseflys, or clegs to give them the local vernacular. No idea of the structure of their mouthparts, but that's what was biting me when out stalking in the cotswolds at the weekend. You know it's them as you feel them biting and look down to see them tucking in. In fact, come to think of it, they must have chainsaws for mouths. 

15 minutes ago, Novice said:

Exactly as in the pic. Horseflys, or clegs to give them the local vernacular. No idea of the structure of their mouthparts, but that's what was biting me when out stalking in the cotswolds at the weekend. You know it's them as you feel them biting and look down to see them tucking in. In fact, come to think of it, they must have chainsaws for mouths. 

Can’t remember feeling mine until later

As yet not been bitten this year ( oh that’s tempting fate ) but I’ve never seen as many about before ..I’m even getting them indoors .A couple of years ago one of the lads on site went into anaphylactic shock after being bitten by one , luckily the first aider recognised the symptoms and got him to hospital ..

On 26/06/2018 at 22:41, ditchman said:

try vinegar.............i used it on bad mossi bights abroad.........other lads i know used macleans toothpaste.......

How do you get the little blighters to open their mouths though  ?

They WILL bite through clothing, I can vouch for that. Thankfully NOT on myself  !

Jungle Formula for me, just do not get it near shooting glasses, fishing glasses or your gun, the 'deet' content can cause a lot of damage. I wear gloves for summer and winter shooting, just to protect the gun a bit, also stops my sweaty little palms from damaging the blueing.

Edited by Westley

Just now, Westley said:

How do you get the little blighters to open their mouths though  ?

They WILL bite through clothing, I can vouch for that. Thankfully NOT on myself  !

Jungle Formula for me, just do not get it near shooting glasses, fishing glasses or your gun, the 'deet' content can cause a lot of damage. I wear gloves for summer and winter shooting, just to protect the gun a bit, also stops my sweaty little palms from damaging the blueing.

you think horse fly are bad ................just wait until you get bitten by a bloody Tetse fly..........its like someone slowly pushing a glowing red hot needle into you..............