Horse fly bites

PPP

57 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Never been bitten by one, and hope never to either, nasty little nippers.

Shame as they are quite a stunning insect, here's one that landed in my garden the other day.....

Horsefly.jpg.e6e9e134e6536a90dac64c25887bfee2.jpg

Brilliant, i got maybe 7 midge bites while asleep last night, fingers forearms neck, nothing while I was in the woods typical, sss going on before bed tonight.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Only 5 bites today 

just something to put up with always seem to go for the same place 

all 5 are now ex flies 

maybe we need a how many horsefly you’ve killed thread ?

1894DCD8-0C85-4D3E-A45E-6033E381FEF1.jpeg

Yuck!  Thanks for tips guys , ice and anti hysthemine were the only solution, thankfully hand back to normal by Tuesday (4days as suggested)

Autan,  absolutely fantastic product. Better than Jungle formula or Avon. Boots did it until a year ago, but you can still get it on the web.

Working with horses, unfortunately, I and OF are dealing with them in their hundreds every day. I'm pretty convinced they home in on a heat source. Look at the bonnet of your truck next time your out, compared with the rest of its body work. If I'm working next to the forge, they will fly past me and into it, which is very satisfying! Advice......wear light coloured clothes, that reflect the heat, and get yourself some Autan!!!

15 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

Autan,  absolutely fantastic product. Better than Jungle formula or Avon. Boots did it until a year ago, but you can still get it on the web.

Working with horses, unfortunately, I and OF are dealing with them in their hundreds every day. I'm pretty convinced they home in on a heat source. Look at the bonnet of your truck next time your out, compared with the rest of its body work. If I'm working next to the forge, they will fly past me and into it, which is very satisfying! Advice......wear light coloured clothes, that reflect the heat, and get yourself some Autan!!!

Definitely Home in on heat source hence black horses attract more than greys 

also Home in on dirty smelly animals ?

thanks to the internet there’s hundreds of concoctions for the owners to create and throw over the horse ?

this weeks favourite is dettol ?

slightly worse than cold tea and heaven knows what 

befor you ask no it doesn’t work 

all the best 

of 

Hmmm, will try it tomorrow on a clients horse, whilst she's making a brew........Im sure she'll understand the scientific aspect?

Oh, you mean the bite!!! Yup, we were told that when I used to dive............ for Weaver fish venom?

Edited by turbo33

28 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

Hmmm, will try it tomorrow on a clients horse, whilst she's making a brew........Im sure she'll understand the scientific aspect?

Oh, you mean the bite!!! Yup, we were told that when I used to dive............ for Weaver fish venom?

Try it in a scientific manor although you maybe have to drink a lot of tea if you’re doing a big hunter 

seriously I bought some anti tick clothes from rovine I think shirt trousers and socks they seem to keep them away thinking I found them on a deer stalking website blokes name was Daren 

bit hot to work in my job but bearable and available in light colours 

My Mrs has suffered quite badly this week. We picked up around 40 to 50 housefly bites each at our woodland last weekend, I just felt a bit rough and it caused my joints to swell , but it's really knocked lin about , she spent most of Sunday in bed and is still covered in bite marks.

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

My Mrs has suffered quite badly this week. We picked up around 40 to 50 housefly bites each at our woodland last weekend, I just felt a bit rough and it caused my joints to swell , but it's really knocked lin about , she spent most of Sunday in bed and is still covered in bite marks.

Really ??? That’s terrible. My leg is still black off 2 almost 3 weeks ago. 

I noticed it hurts to walk on the joints as you say. Hope she’s ok soon.

11 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Hope she recovers fully, soon, Mel. Give her my regards.

That sounds very painful, hope you've both been the doctors for some tablets ot the chemist?

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

Hope she recovers fully, soon, Mel. Give her my regards.

She says that she feels ok ,but I know that she's not well because she's hardly moaned about anything all week lol.

She's been taking anti histamine and paracetamol all week , and is much better now , and the lumps are going down nicely.  My main concern this week has been that I slipped whilst climbing over a barbed wire fence on Monday, I managed to rip my left testicle (again) and pull my back at the same time . It's been a great week lol.

41 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

She says that she feels ok ,but I know that she's not well because she's hardly moaned about anything all week lol.

She's been taking anti histamine and paracetamol all week , and is much better now , and the lumps are going down nicely.  My main concern this week has been that I slipped whilst climbing over a barbed wire fence on Monday, I managed to rip my left testicle (again) and pull my back at the same time . It's been a great week lol.

Good fun buying a woodland!

15 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Good god - really? How are you even typing that?

I don’t appear to have an allergic reaction to insect bites (especially by comparison to Lady S, who erupts monstrously when bitten by anything), but even I have been suffering with a quickly-batted-away nip from a horsefly this year.

You poor chap. Ice and alcohol is my prescription.

LS

5 hours ago, mel b3 said:

You need to put a few quid on Saturdays Lottery, as you and your good lady have obviously had your quota of bad luck this month....so...working on the Law of Averages....and Karma.....I reckon that you're in with a great chance of hitting the jackpot!  Then you can pay someone to spray/ swat/ zap/ splat/ the little ******** whilst you're out in the countryside!  

4 hours ago, DoolinDalton said:

You need to put a few quid on Saturdays Lottery, as you and your good lady have obviously had your quota of bad luck this month....so...working on the Law of Averages....and Karma.....I reckon that you're in with a great chance of hitting the jackpot!  Then you can pay someone to spray/ swat/ zap/ splat/ the little ******** whilst you're out in the countryside!  

If it wasn't for bad luck , I'd have no luck at all ?

Monday, I managed to rip my left testicle (again) and pull my back at the same time 

Are you and TT related? It's like you have tried to merge the vasectomy and horse fly bite threads.

now in a months time, while its raining so there is nothing about that will bite you go and cut out all that nasty barbed wire.

27 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Are you and TT related? It's like you have tried to merge the vasectomy and horse fly bite threads.

now in a months time, while its raining so there is nothing about that will bite you go and cut out all that nasty barbed wire.

I'm not normally troubled by any type of biting creepy crawlies , and I'm certainly not accident prone, but , I have always had short legs , and been very generously proportioned in the gentleman's area , over the years it has proven to be great fun in the bedroom , but not so much fun when negotiating barbed wire fences ?.

14 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I'm not normally troubled by any type of biting creepy crawlies , and I'm certainly not accident prone, but , I have always had short legs , and been very generously proportioned in the gentleman's area , over the years it has proven to be great fun in the bedroom , but not so much fun when negotiating barbed wire fences ?.

Mel the tripod ???

21 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

'Jake the Peg'?

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

Ha ha . I had a Facebook memory only last week about ripping my hand open on a barbed wire fence . I was climbing over a gate and it broke , leaving me hanging by my hand.