Horse fly bites

PPP

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/06/2018 at 16:15, PPP said:

Suggestions please, this is driving me flipping nuts..

ice works temporarily

have taken clarityn but no change

just taken ibuprofen to get swelling down...

i now have one giant Kent Everett hand.....

Brulidine Cream...... Antiseptic and Antibacterial  absolutely Brilliant.  Two nasty bites this morning ,  all clear now.

24 minutes ago, krugerandsmith said:

Brulidine Cream...... Antiseptic and Antibacterial  absolutely Brilliant.  Two nasty bites this morning ,  all clear now.

Brilliant, thanks for advice, two bites on ankle now!,

2 hours ago, DrBob said:

Sharp end of a cleg

D78E51E2-36EE-46B5-B4BD-E6438053D8D2.jpeg

Nothing sharp about this Clegg...

0D439017-B13C-4D9E-B7BE-1406EA9FF276.jpeg

Just a quick update ? , most of my good lady's fly bites have healed ,all but a couple that seemed to get a little bit infected.  I had around 40 to 50 bites as well ,but didn't really suffer too much ,but ,earlier in the week , the areas where I'd been bitten(mainly wrists and elbows) have started to itch again.

Having had very little experience of horseflies and their bites in the past ,I'm finding it all most peculiar. 

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Just a quick update ? , most of my good lady's fly bites have healed ,all but a couple that seemed to get a little bit infected.  I had around 40 to 50 bites as well ,but didn't really suffer too much ,but ,earlier in the week , the areas where I'd been bitten(mainly wrists and elbows) have started to itch again.

Having had very little experience of horseflies and their bites in the past ,I'm finding it all most peculiar. 

My leg is still itching after I think is a month now . The skin went grey and dry after 10 days but I could still itch it now . 

Wierd things .

do I guess you’ve both had antibiotics?

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, has no one ever tried using Tiger Balm on insect bites, ????????  

I've heard of it ,but never really needed it.

5 hours ago, team tractor said:

My leg is still itching after I think is a month now . The skin went grey and dry after 10 days but I could still itch it now . 

Wierd things .

do I guess you’ve both had antibiotics?

Neither of us needed anti biotics , lin just put some kind of cream on her bites , and my bites didn't really show up enough to need anything , the itching is still quite irritating though. 

30 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I've heard of it ,but never really needed it.

Neither of us needed anti biotics , lin just put some kind of cream on her bites , and my bites didn't really show up enough to need anything , the itching is still quite irritating though. 

hello mel, its all i ever use apart from antihistamine tablets, the first time i went to Thailand (about 20 years) i came back with a box full x 12 of red pots

6 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello mel, its all i ever use apart from antihistamine tablets, the first time i went to Thailand (about 20 years) i came back with a box full x 12 of red pots

We're up at the woodland again this weekend,  I think we'll both keep covered as much as possible this time.

Horsefly bites are a bit of a problem for me as the little ******* seem to love my blood and I pick up a couple every time I'm out in the garden BUT only a very few cause me problems - is this only when one happens to be carrying adverse bacteria? They always itch for a few minutes but rarely any long-term discomfort. I feel that I'm fairly antiseptic as I get stung by everything nasty we get in our countryside and I'm the first to notice if a flea gets into our house. This week I've seen some horrible blistering for one young lass from these beasts (Sun News??) so I sympathise with any of you similarly affected.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought horsefly bites were annoying enough (got 3 more on my knee and 1 on my elbow recently) but I forgot how much a wasp sting hurts. Enjoying a sunny afternoon on Sunday I felt a tickle up the sleeve of my teeshirt. I put my hand up there to scratch and a wasp flew out, but not before stinging me on the inner arm. It hurt a bit at the time but now the whole inside of my upper arm is red and swollen, and itching like mad. Mrs W has just put some Anthisan on it and there are actually 2 stings within an inch or so of each other. 

Give me horseflies any day!

1 hour ago, walshie said:

I thought horsefly bites were annoying enough (got 3 more on my knee and 1 on my elbow recently) but I forgot how much a wasp sting hurts. Enjoying a sunny afternoon on Sunday I felt a tickle up the sleeve of my teeshirt. I put my hand up there to scratch and a wasp flew out, but not before stinging me on the inner arm. It hurt a bit at the time but now the whole inside of my upper arm is red and swollen, and itching like mad. Mrs W has just put some Anthisan on it and there are actually 2 stings within an inch or so of each other. 

Give me horseflies any day!

cold compress on it walshie, will help take out some of the heat, do not put the cold dirctly on it, wrap it up in a teatowel. Sometimes oral antihistamines helpful for itch if safe to take.  Any concerns such as fevers, feeling unwell. redness spreading up yer arm etc get it checked.

atb

7diaw

9 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

cold compress on it walshie, will help take out some of the heat, do not put the cold dirctly on it, wrap it up in a teatowel. Sometimes oral antihistamines helpful for itch if safe to take.  Any concerns such as fevers, feeling unwell. redness spreading up yer arm etc get it checked.

atb

7diaw

Thanks for the advice 7diaw. :good: I'm already taking antihistamines every day for my hay fever, which probably helped.  I was a bit concerned last night as the red patch seemed quite big for 2 tiny stings, but seems to have got smaller overnight.  

9 hours ago, walshie said:

Thanks for the advice 7diaw. :good: I'm already taking antihistamines every day for my hay fever, which probably helped.  I was a bit concerned last night as the red patch seemed quite big for 2 tiny stings, but seems to have got smaller overnight.  

No problem walsie

it sounds like it heading in the right direction.

atb

7diaw

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as possible after being bitten, place the back of a spoon which you have left in a mug of boiling water for 30 seconds or so onto the bite. Keep it there for as long as you can stand, and then keep reapplying to the bite, longer each time as the spoon cools. 

If I do this after a bite there is no itching at all. 

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:15, mossy835 said:

mate at work got bit, and was off work for a year he was feeling sleepy all the time.and openreach payed him off,he took the money  because he said he could not do his job any more.

That sounds worryingly  like Lymes Disease. Everybody who lives or plays in rural areas should be completely aware of the symptoms of Lymes disease because it is really serious and can cause organ failure and death.

It starts like a horsefly bite and it appears to clears up, then vague strange symptoms start, tiredness is definitely one of them. Gradually it eats you away inside. Tell him to get tested. Most Doctors have barely heard of it 

Seriously, its a killer if its left, even if you think it has gone and you are over it, you are not, its chewing away inside you. They reckon as many as 90% of cases are not diagnosed

Edited by Vince Green