Bee’s and Wasps

Wiggum

Does anyone know if bee’s and wasps nest together or in close proximity?. I noticed 3 or 4 bees buzzing around one of our soffits and then saw them entering it where it isn’t tight up to the brickwork. After watching them for a few minutes I also noticed what I first thought was a smaller bee coming and going from a different gap about 8-10” away, however I’m not sure now if they were small bees or indeed wasps. I’m not too bothered by the bees but don’t want wasps in the soffits ?

1 hour ago, Wiggum said:

There’s definitely a small wasp nest in the eve’s I managed to catch a look when I was getting the fan out of the loft earlier and I also got buzzed by 3 when I turned on the light 

From your description I's say they're masonry wasps. Yes they do exist; my neighbour had them 7 or 8 years ago. The council pest control dealt with them but not the satellite nest I found in my woodshed. They're snotty minded and sting readily but the sting is nowhere near as bad as full size garden wasp.

So do I,  as my insect dictionary does not list them. Lists masonry bees which are small light brown and pretty good natured if you don't annoy them. Easily identified from honey bees in that they have a soft hairy covered body, smaller and more compact.  Will drill holes in old mortar and lay their eggs. Had them under our tiles but they ate their way through the foam insulation so had to be sorted.  Hated doing it.  Still have some in the brickwork of the workshop and barns.

There are many types of wasp but not masonary wasps. There is a masonary bee which is harmless. It sound like you have an ordinary wasp nest, very common at this time of year, we treat a few hundred every summer. Sort it now as it will only get bigger.

12 bore and dust shot sorts them out. If you don't have any open up a clay cart and replace with salt, get in close and blast them, they love it and don't get angry at all.

Americans shoot nests all the time Hornets inn trees being a favorite, watch the videos online.