anvil

mel b3

hiya guys,

this is a bit of a long shot , but its worth a try.

im looking for a blacksmiths anvil , the bigger the better , im willing to travel a decent distance to collect .

cheers guys.

mel.

Hi Mel.

There's a (3rd or 4th generation) blacksmith in our village packing up. I'll have a word and will get back to you but a) he's rarely seen in daylight and b) even rarer to be seen sober - so it might take me a few days.

I'll PM you with an update later in the week.

ATB

Iain

22 hours ago, Eyefor said:

Hi Mel.

There's a (3rd or 4th generation) blacksmith in our village packing up. I'll have a word and will get back to you but a) he's rarely seen in daylight and b) even rarer to be seen sober - so it might take me a few days.

I'll PM you with an update later in the week.

ATB

Iain

Would that be Bob P by any chance?

5 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

Correct!

That's a shame.  I'm sure I heard somewhere that he was one of the last true working village blacksmiths.  

I pretty much grew up in that village, my Grandfather was the last tenant farmer at Town Farm.

Sorry for the slight derail by the way.

1 minute ago, Zapp said:

That's a shame.  I'm sure I heard somewhere that he was one of the last true working village blacksmiths.  

I pretty much grew up in that village, my Grandfather was the last tenant farmer at Town Farm.

Sorry for the slight derail by the way.

It's a real shame. His daughter tried to run it for a while but I've not seen the forge in action for several months now. I'd love a rummage in his workshop - plus there's a very nice steam engine somewhere.....

Town Farm - would that be Mr Tonkins? If so, PM me and I'll reply with twist of fate story....

5 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

It's a real shame. His daughter tried to run it for a while but I've not seen the forge in action for several months now. I'd love a rummage in his workshop - plus there's a very nice steam engine somewhere.....

Town Farm - would that be Mr Tonkins? If so, PM me and I'll reply with twist of fate story....

I'd always wanted to go and get him to make a splitting axe head for me - he made excellent tools.

Tomkins - Yes, that was Grandad.  I'll PM you.

4 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

I never cease to be amazed at what this forum turns up.

53 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Here’s one for you 

needs a bit of work but nothing a stick welder and angle grinder wouldn’t sort in a few hours or at novice speed a day or two 

C7ECD1B9-18C9-4B67-9DCE-1B95F31945C2.png

If that was at a farm sale around here they would be fighting three figures for that.

14 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I never cease to be amazed at what this forum turns up.

If that was at a farm sale around here they would be fighting three figures for that.

Really? I didn't realise they were that rare; I know various places around here where there are anvils just steadily gathering dust. 

The last three farm sales I have been too the anvils have gone well over three figures and in one case some serious bidding over £200.  I don't think it is a case of being rare, people collect them and others use them in gardens as ornaments.  I agree with OF they need to be used.

20 minutes ago, Scully said:

Really? I didn't realise they were that rare; I know various places around here where there are anvils just steadily gathering dust. 

Point mel in that direction.

14 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Here’s one for you 

needs a bit of work but nothing a stick welder and angle grinder wouldn’t sort in a few hours or at novice speed a day or two 

C7ECD1B9-18C9-4B67-9DCE-1B95F31945C2.png

This is turning into a anvilfest ?, please excuse my ignorance nigel , but what is the arc welder for ?. 

Keep your eye out on ebay I picked up one for 21 quid a bit rough but workable. Later sold it for 125£ when I was lucky enough to have 1 given to me keep looking they do come at the right price occasionally.

Edited by Old melv
Spelling mistakes