£180 for a recoil pad fitted?

EMT

Maybe I am just getting old and behind the times, or maybe I didn't realise the amount of work involved but I have just been told its going to be £180 to fit a Silvers recoil pad on my Aya No. 2.  

Does that sound about right and I am being a tight **** or have I been ripped off?

A genuine `Silvers` pad is around £40 on its own (perhaps a bit more now, as its 3 odd years ago that I last bought one). They are supplied well oversized and require a lot of work to get a good fit and to look right. That leaves the gunsmith £140 to do a job that takes around 2 to 3 hours (minimum) so not the vast profit some are suggesting. Buy your own pad from `Kynamco` and have a go at it yourself, you can then confirm if the price quoted is about right.

1 hour ago, JJsDad said:

A genuine `Silvers` pad is around £40 on its own (perhaps a bit more now, as its 3 odd years ago that I last bought one). They are supplied well oversized and require a lot of work to get a good fit and to look right. That leaves the gunsmith £140 to do a job that takes around 2 to 3 hours (minimum) so not the vast profit some are suggesting. Buy your own pad from `Kynamco` and have a go at it yourself, you can then confirm if the price quoted is about right.

2 to 3 hours to fit ,what was he using ,a nail file . That’s grossly over priced . I can fit one in no more than an hour on my grinder . I have fitted many .The last gun I bought at a RFD needed a new pad and was fitted by the in house smith in 45 minutes while I waited .

harnser

Edited by Harnser

RRRRRippedoff.com

Sounds like they don't want the work.

Bit like the Builder I know who if busy and asked to quote for something small that he doesn't really need or want to be botherd with,   like putting up a small bit of fencing  quotes way over the odds.

Sometimes people bite and he's quids in. 

53 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

How’s he doing it grinding to a close fit then it expensive. 

Sanding the pad and stock to a perfect fit thus removing some finish then reoiling the stock from the chequering back and polishing the pad in the traditional way £180 with pad is a good price 2-3 hrs work. 

He didn't go into details but as soon as I get it back I will post some photos and a review on the finished item. 

On 26/06/2018 at 21:47, welshwarrior said:

How’s he doing it grinding to a close fit then it expensive. 

Sanding the pad and stock to a perfect fit thus removing some finish then reoiling the stock from the chequering back and polishing the pad in the traditional way £180 with pad is a good price 2-3 hrs work. 

Good point, I paid half this BUT I had to do the refinish myself... How do you polish the pad?

Edited by PPP

On 25/06/2018 at 14:56, EMT said:

Maybe I am just getting old and behind the times, or maybe I didn't realise the amount of work involved but I have just been told its going to be £180 to fit a Silvers recoil pad on my Aya No. 2.  

Does that sound about right and I am being a tight **** or have I been ripped off?

Seems expensive I only paid £125 for a 2" stock extension in a grain matching wood and a new recoil pad. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fitting a pad to something  like an AyA No 2 is not as straight forward as some may have you think ,for a start the end of the stock has to be squared off and AyA's do frequently tend to taper toward the heel .This may entail taking  a good 3/16" off the end . Many have been bored out and plugged so these may need to be taken out and re plugged for the screws to have good purchase . The pad has then be fitted and ground off and polished 

Having fitted many many of these on many different guns it is sometimes necessary to sand the pad onto the wood so there is not a "step" so some refinishing may be on order  .

Those who claim to be able to do the in under an hour with a grinder are either in the wrong job  or have not fitted many pads on side by sides .

£ 180 does seem on the steep side and I would have thought around £100 to supply and fit would be the ball park figure ,Purdey will want about £500 but thats them .