Shetland sea fishing

Just back from a fantastic weekend fishing in Shetland.  Weather was poor both days but managed to somehow haul a 30lb cod up in the worst of conditions.  I was drained after the 35 min fight and it was an even harder task trying to hold it up for a quick picture before being safety returned. My body ia only recovering now!

DSC_0523~2.JPG

I assume a slow ascent does not damage the swim bladder and the fish can be returned unharmed. I have seen fish brought up very quickly and the swim bladder pushes the stomach out through the mouth. Not a pretty sight.

Nice cod though and well done in returning it. Let's hope if it's caught again the next angler does likewise. 

Have been out of sea fishing now for the last 30 years and to show my lack of current knowledge, may I ask what 'Gummi maks ' are ?

OB

Lovely cod. As for catch and release in deep water. Survival rates depend on depth, species and rate of ascent. Our main sport fish in NZ, snapper (Pagrus auratus) is generally toast beyond 30 metres, maybe even 20 metres despite what some anglers wish to believe. This is based on pretty good scientific data. Don't know about atlantic cod. 

6 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I assume a slow ascent does not damage the swim bladder and the fish can be returned unharmed. I have seen fish brought up very quickly and the swim bladder pushes the stomach out through the mouth. Not a pretty sight.

Nice cod though and well done in returning it. Let's hope if it's caught again the next angler does likewise. 

Have been out of sea fishing now for the last 30 years and to show my lack of current knowledge, may I ask what 'Gummi maks ' are ?

OB

Gummi maks are basically big flying c's weighed by a pirk about 750g.  Ling tend to cough up there bladders and makes them hard to return. They are a fine eating fish though. Cod are easily returned providing you can get all the air out there stomachs thrn return head 1St.

6 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Lovely cod. As for catch and release in deep water. Survival rates depend on depth, species and rate of ascent. Our main sport fish in NZ, snapper (Pagrus auratus) is generally toast beyond 30 metres, maybe even 20 metres despite what some anglers wish to believe. This is based on pretty good scientific data. Don't know about atlantic cod. 

Atlantic cod are easily returned providing you can get all the air out there stomachs then return them head 1st

11 hours ago, novice cushie shooter said:

There should be but in the heat of battle I forgot all about it!!

That's quite understandable. 

Thanks for sharing and also explaining what 'Gummi maks' are.

OB

8 hours ago, novice cushie shooter said:

A gummy mak trace for those interested. 

Screenshot_20180630-200650.png

Many thanks for that NCS.

I bet they work well. Takes me back to my cod fishing days years ago when I used to make my own parks from chromed tube filled with lead.

Hope that you have many more of them and well done on returning it. I'm afraid all the cod that I caught got eaten.

OB

7 hours ago, novice cushie shooter said:

Thanks but going by the stories the locals in Shetland tell of trawlers just dumping fish after their quota is maxed I wont hold my breath.

Maybe, just maybe, the debacle over fishing quotas may get sorted out after Brexit, but perhaps that is just wishful thinking.

OB

21 hours ago, dazb1967 said:

Were due up the Shetlands for a fishing trip at the end of August for 5 days, can't wait, we've just returned from Northern Norway after a 2 week fishing trip as well which was really good.

Your 1St time? This was ours, Need to do some arm excersices done I was burst after day 1!!  Enjoy.

21 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

Been up twice on 4 day trips, every drop is a 50lb lift usually a cod and a coley from 300'.

We weer catching about 3/4 a tonne every day.

Booked already for next year!

We never managed any coalies which was disappointing, the weather wasn't playing ball.... Meant we have to go back next year.  ?

1 hour ago, novice cushie shooter said:

Your 1St time? This was ours, Need to do some arm excersices done I was burst after day 1!!  Enjoy.

My first time to the Shetlands fishing but we've been to Norway 2 years in a row and we were getting cod to 40lb, my biggest Halibut was 50lb so used to pulling in big fish.

One of the lads in our party had a 251lb halibut, It took him 2 hours to get it upto the boat, he said he never wants to be in that position again, he was wrecked.