Moorland fire in Manchester

fse10

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But who will pay for a Chinook or two to sit ready and waiting for an occasional fire?

We pay from them to sit still or go on training now so to have one or two fly some where & pick up the gear needed to do  the job when there is a need cant see it being an issue. As we pay for other stuff to sit unused just incase.

27 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

Perhaps a dose of regular moor burning would reduce the risk of big fires and improve the situation for wildlife.

David.

An understated statement of truth, but do you think the nitwits like Packham would approve of heather burning? Not a chance.

As for the Grouse fleeing, not all of this years broods will be of an age when they can fly.

Edited by JDog

When Packham and his ilk ban Grouse shooting and the moors become uneconomical for owners to maintain and in consequence the moors turn into a tinder box of lank scrubland........devoid if wildlife..............except vermin..........and there is no one left to manage, protect and pay for the upkeep of the uplands!

If the moors all go up in flames, who then cares? Do you think Packham and the rest of his poisonous anti loonies will fill the void?..........no, me neither!

As people here have said, the answer is regular controlled burning.  On managed moors (for those who aren't familiar with the practice), this is done in rotation, with a few percent of the total area done each year in 'strips'.  In this way, there are heather and other moorland plants at various stages of growth - the older providing thicker cover for nesting, and the younger providing nice tender shoots to eat.  You see this burning pattern as stripes of different colours on well managed moorland.  In Scotland, the estates help each other and make teams of skilled people who try and have a controlled burn each year (weather allowing).  Young heather is very important to healthy natural populations of wildlife.

Burning even in a controlled way has risks, but when the growth has been allowed to get very long and thick, it is very difficult to control a fire with a traditional 'beater' (also known as "fire-brooms" I believe).  A controlled burn never gets too hot and the regrowth is rapid from remaining roots and dormant seeds.  Long thick growth that hasn't been burned for many years raises the heat of the fire and there is a greater risk of the peat itself catching.  Then it gets very difficult to put out, and recovery can be very slow - many years, or many 10's of years if it has burned to the rock.

29 minutes ago, harkom said:

Paul, just remember Packhalfwit will toe the BBC line....."- caused by Global Warming", "CO2 emissions", and, er.......and" Loss of Habitat"....and lastly if they can link it in-... by Brexit

I had a chat with a lady I broke some horses for who lives on the opposite moor, she can see the fire from her farm. Packman can blame global warming but from what she said it was more of a localised warming problem than a global warming issue. More like matches than the sunshine!

5 hours ago, fse10 said:

Can't believe that we don;t have any way to dump water on this using chinook's to put this out. As 10 fire engines 50 firefighters don't seem to be making an impact .

I believe the problem is that any water would have to be suspended under a Chinook in some kind of container and it would have to approach very slowly, maybe even just hover, for any degree of accuracy in dropping the water.   As they have 2 enormous sets of rotors the downdraught could well do more damage in fanning the flames.  May be we should just swallow our pride and fork out for a French CL215 amphibian to come and do a bit of water bombing  -  there are plenty of reservoirs up there.

Just back from work and it's not too bad at the moment, but when I left this morning the smell of smoke was awful.

2 hours ago, catchthepigeonmutley said:

I believe the problem is that any water would have to be suspended under a Chinook in some kind of container and it would have to approach very slowly, maybe even just hover, for any degree of accuracy in dropping the water.   As they have 2 enormous sets of rotors the downdraught could well do more damage in fanning the flames.  May be we should just swallow our pride and fork out for a French CL215 amphibian to come and do a bit of water bombing  -  there are plenty of reservoirs up there.

Just back from work and it's not too bad at the moment, but when I left this morning the smell of smoke was awful.

That makes more sense.

On 27/06/2018 at 12:44, Kalahari said:

Perhaps a dose of regular moor burning would reduce the risk of big fires and improve the situation for wildlife.

David.

Mouth wash for you sir.

Don't ever let's prevent a problem as we have done historically, let the loons create one?

22 hours ago, catchthepigeonmutley said:

The irony is that the RAF have four helicopters on loan to the French for for four years covering heavy lifting, am sure they would be of more use to us right now on the moor ! :/

Regular controlled burning won't stop the kind of fires we're seeing up and down the country, unless you burn all of it regularly. Fire spreads over parched grass almost as quickly as the wind blows and so hot cinders will find fuel where ever they come in contact with it.

This isn't down to lack of moor burn, this is down to dry weather high temperatures and negligent (perhaps criminal) members of the public.

Hope it's put out soon.