im "mainly stuffed" Help

ditchman

Barrel catch i bid for on e-bay came today......DONT BLOODY FIT....i cant even see how to fit it to the barrel even if it did fit....surely it dont "glue" on...

the HW77 is an original one imported via Hull Cartridges....enjine No is...1182143....not the carbine version...18"/46cm barrell............

there are 3 model Mk 1..Mk 2...Mk 3...i rekon this is a 1989 model as near as i can make it which is on the cusp of Mk2/3...........yet chamber/knibbs say the Mk2/3 catch is the same ..!!

where am i going wrong...is this a copy / chinese...or what......how are these barrel catches fixed on ?..........

only someone who has taken his/hers apart will know

answers please...........

barr' ca' 001tn_.JPG

barr' ca' 002tn_.JPG

barr' ca' 003tn_.JPG

barr' ca' 004tn_.JPG

end button 001tn_.JPG

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

surely it dont "glue" on...

You got it in one. Looks like they are an interference fit & secured by a machinery adhesive; Loctite 270 should hold it or if you want to go `permanent` use 638. You need to get the fore-sight aligned for verticality pretty smartish as the Loctite cures in fairly short order (5 to 10mins). Looking at the barrel, the seating will probably need a clean up with emery cloth until the block taps on (and off) using a soft faced hammer. If you struggle to get the Loctite let me know, I can probably help.

Cheers

JJsDad

Edited by JJsDad
Typo

right i have sorted it...............

1. i will glue it on
  2. i will make a screw to go thro the sight...thro the barrell latch...and drill a locating hloe in the barrell
  3. then i will "bond" and put the locating screw in and leave it
  4. the underlever i will change into a mk 3....i have found if you press the button RIGHT in it will go another 12mm into the underlever.....so i will make a catch plate out of a set screw...push it into the underlever....drill thro with a 2mm drill and fix with a roll pin........................so that means i havnt destroyed anything and it can be returned to normal...
  5. the sliding catch is rubbish...hasnt been finished off proper...so i will polish it internal and external...so it becomes nice and smooth ...not "graunchy"

i will take a few pics as i go along.....to amuse everybody..:lol:

53 minutes ago, ditchman said:

1. i will glue it on
  2. i will make a screw to go thro the sight...thro the barrell latch...and drill a locating hloe in the barrell
  4. the underlever i will change into a mk 3....i have found if you press the button RIGHT in it will go another 12mm into the underlever.....so i will make a catch plate out of a set screw...push it into the underlever....drill thro with a 2mm drill and fix with a roll pin........................so that means i havnt destroyed anything and it can be returned to normal...
  5. the sliding catch is rubbish...hasnt been finished off proper...so i will polish it internal and external...so it becomes nice and smooth ...not "graunchy"

hello, look forward to see those simon, 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

1. i will glue it on

You amuse us, your work inspires us!

i have just finished working in da shed................i feel 120% better now since i have been diagnosed with celiac's desease..........and have started 5 days ago my 100% gluten free diet...i have my health back and looking forward to catching up on all my little jobs....i havnt worked in the shed at 9.30 at night for 6 or 7 years

so i will post the pics up of the conversion from a Mk2 to a Mk3 tomorrow morning...(or thye first bit anyway...come out quite nice).....

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

now tell me...how does a poor 2nd hand tinker inspire you lot ...in my previous life i rekon i used to go around villages on a bike that could sharpen knives and mend pots an' pans..

What about fat Sarah? maybe she was there as well?

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

now tell me...how does a poor 2nd hand tinker inspire you lot ...in my previous life i rekon i used to go around villages on a bike that could sharpen knives and mend pots an' pans..

And no doubt getting up to no good while folk were looking the other way.

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

i have just finished working in da shed................i feel 120% better now since i have been diagnosed with celiac's desease..........and have started 5 days ago my 100% gluten free diet...i have my health back and looking forward to catching up on all my little jobs....i havnt worked in the shed at 9.30 at night for 6 or 7 years

so i will post the pics up of the conversion from a Mk2 to a Mk3 tomorrow morning...(or thye first bit anyway...come out quite nice).....

you wouldn't think a piece of toast could make such a difference would you ? 

right this is my effort last night...............

1. fit and sand piece of pipe to fit the set screw (pipe from seagull outboard motor water pipe semi stainless)
  2. flux parts
  3. silver solder
  4. clean and shape...you can see the different metals
  5. clean up and polish catch...(it wasnt smooth enough)
  6. cut set screw to length
  7. put in cramp ..(ready for drilling and rivet....i will rivet not put a roll pin in)

the last pic is the cut and soldered set screw...cramped in position ready for drilling.....and even tho i say it myself looks okay....i will blue it up when i finish...

restoration hw77 001tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 002tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 003tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 004tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 005tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 006tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 007tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 008tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 009tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 010tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 011tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 012tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 013tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 014tn_.JPG

restoration hw77 015tn_.JPG

so ere' we are again..........

1. punched out drill hole
  2. drilled with titanium bit as the set screw was harden steel
  3. chamfered hole for rivet to expand
  4. made rivet/pin
  5. do you like my anvil...made it for the knife making in the autumn
  6. cut off to length ..pin
  7. peened over and cleaned up
  8. catch too long 
  9. dissasemble cut back
  10. refit
  11. end of the barrel level with catch now

will now drill locating hole in barrell when everything is lined up................i have to do this first as i will be fitting the diopter sight and need to know the correct height to set it at..........

so there you go..quite pleased with that...it makes a nice pleasant solid "click" when it is pressed into position and is nice and tight....with the catch sliding slick as snot...:lol::good:

finished catch 001tn_.JPG

finished catch 002tn_.JPG

finished catch 003tn_.JPG

finished catch 004tn_.JPG

finished catch 005tn_.JPG

finished catch 006tn_.JPG

finished catch 007tn_.JPG

finished catch 008tn_.JPG

finished catch 009tn_.JPG

finished catch 010tn_.JPG

finished catch 011tn_.JPG

finished catch 012tn_.JPG