Sightron S-Tac

Lloyd90

Anyone got one and any reviews? Hoping to use with NV addon in future and heard these are very good day scopes that are excellent for use with ward NV addon... 

also I looked at the 2.5-17 and noticed they also have a 5-20 ... just the 2.5-17 appears to be twice the price... is there something wrong with the 5-20 version? 

Thanks

Lloyd 

Hi Lloyd,

if the sightron STac are similar to the S111 you won't be disappointed with the glass, tracking or the NV ability. I have 2 S111 8-32×56 and the image with an Archer and dragonfly are far better than the leupold 3's that are normally recommended of which I have 2 as well. So a true comparison not just an opinion. 

Its known by a few on here that 1 of the sightron was recently sent back for repair, the erector tube was shifting when the magnification was altered, this was altering zero. But this was very very likely down to me, but repaired FOC. 

I believe there is a difference in coatings between the 5-20 and the 2.5 -17 hence the price. The very good NV reviews that I read were done with the 2.5-17 model.

I find the lower the initial mag the better when working with a spotter as it makes it easier to acquire the target, particularly when the image is not so great. 

One bit of advice I have after owning the 4-16 model is consider you reticule carefully. I bought the MOA one which is very fine and though great for target shooting is a bit of a pain hunting as you can lose it quite easily in the background especially when the light is fading. Its annoying to have a good image but not being able to see a lot of the reticule as its lost against the background. 

It worked well with my Ward D 700 but again it was difficult to focus the crosshairs as sharp as my eyesight isn't great and the reticule is very fine. If I was doing it again for my Hornet I would have gone for a straight plex reticule for NV.

35 minutes ago, Zetter said:

One bit of advice I have after owning the 4-16 model is consider you reticule carefully. I bought the MOA one which is very fine and though great for target shooting is a bit of a pain hunting as you can lose it quite easily in the background especially when the light is fading. Its annoying to have a good image but not being able to see a lot of the reticule as its lost against the background. 

It worked well with my Ward D 700 but again it was difficult to focus the crosshairs as sharp as my eyesight isn't great and the reticule is very fine. If I was doing it again for my Hornet I would have gone for a straight plex reticule for NV.

I was worried about this, although in the past found the FFP Dot on my other scope too big and obscured too much of the target when trying to make up reloads... 

did you try the IR model?? 

I have several S-tac scopes. And one of them is the 2.5-17x56. It is a belter of a scope and every bit as good as my SIII 8x32x56. I can not justify spending anymore of scopes when these are as good as they are. I had an S&B many years ago and through my eyes thes are as good or better. 

The 2.5x17 I have on my target .rf rifle and it performs superbly. The 8x32s I have on my cf rifles and the are proven out to 600yds, so even with my shonky eyes I can not recommend them them enough. 

14 hours ago, The Burpster said:

I have several S-tac scopes. And one of them is the 2.5-17x56. It is a belter of a scope and every bit as good as my SIII 8x32x56. I can not justify spending anymore of scopes when these are as good as they are. I had an S&B many years ago and through my eyes thes are as good or better. 

The 2.5x17 I have on my target .rf rifle and it performs superbly. The 8x32s I have on my cf rifles and the are proven out to 600yds, so even with my shonky eyes I can not recommend them them enough. 

Did you get the covered or exposed target turrets? I have read the odd review off some saying the exposed turrets can get knocked and move without them knowing... 

4 hours ago, theosmith said:

I have 4 and no idea why anyone would ever want a hawke over these very good value and brighter than what my bushnell elite were

Same question as above mate, which turrets would you recommend? 

Thanks 

Hi Lloyd, all mine are exposed target turrets (3 STac and three SIII) and I bought them for that reason. The new sVI has locking turrets but if you are careful with your rifles then it shouldn’t be a problem. I have caught a windage turret once getting the 6.5 out of the AIM bag but knew I had done and which way I caught it. 

All 5 are transported in AIM drag bags and I have only once knowingly caught one. Catching one without knowing would IMO be unusual and the. Clicks on the turrets are quite positive. 

If you are doing lots of stalking involving crawling on your belly for miles then get SII covered turrets, if you mostly target shoot with a bit of verminating then target turrets would be my my choice ( TBF the S1H STac on the HW100SK gets used frequently for pigeons in barns and I haven’t yet caught it!). 

Edited by The Burpster
Additional info