South Korea v Germany v Pigeons, no contest.

JDog

This afternoon I watched the first fifteen minutes of the match, desperately hoping that the Germans would lose (they did and got knocked out of the group stages of the World Cup for the first time since 1938 I believe). The prospect of getting out and firing a shot with the Beretta returned from GMK was too much and out I went.

Clodhopper and I shot this field two weeks ago. There were two places for the birds to feed then and it was the same this afternoon. The walk from my car to the place for the hide was 400m at least so I travelled as light as I could, no rotary just two floaters and my hide etc. The sun was strong from a cloudless sky and shade was the only option. Luckily an ash tree almost in the perfect spot did the trick. I shot the first pair to come in then a single then I spotted someone walking down the tramlines towards me with two dogs. He should have been in bed before the night shift but Clodhopper couldn't resist coming to have a nosey and to laugh at my shooting. He also brought strawberries from his Grandmother's garden but no bowl, spoon or cream. Shame.

Whilst he was with me his old Labrador Mac found some pigeons which would have otherwise been lost - I have no Jasper at the moment as he has stitches in a cut pad. After he had left pigeons began to avoid the pattern and I shot only occasional long ones and I had to be circumspect where I dropped those. The final tally was 38 shot and 33 picked. It was a very pleasant session during which I saw a Barn owl and a Marsh Harrier.

Covenham_Peas_June_18_2.jpg

Covenham_peas_June_18_1.jpg

Two minds that think alike , I didn't watch any of the match but I did hear it on my small radio that I always take pigeon shooting , more so this time of the year when football and tennis is on although that's as near as I get to taking part in either of the sports.

I was also on a Pea field , the gas gun haven't been working for about a week and the pigeons have been working on two fields , one a winter barley and this Pea field , unlike you I didn't have to walk any distance as they had cut a margin around the field , so it was a matter of driving to the chosen spot , drop the gear off and then park the motor behind the hedge .

Yes it was warm but not that stifling heat like the last few days , the wind was North / Eastlly on my back , so coming off the sea it was just right , the only downside was as the afternoon wore on you were looking in the sun direction .

Yesterday was one of them days where I often leave it to late pulling the trigger , I know when to pull the trigger but my mind and finger didn't agree and a few times a pigeon would come in and then head towards the tree where I sat without getting fired at , in the end I picked up 29 but it could easily had been 40+ , maybe I was flinching knowing I had 32grm shells in the gun and I only had a short sleeve shirt on , that's only one excuse , I fear it might be something else like when dart players cant let go of there darts , Do anyone else have the same problem ? 

I think you are referring to the 'stutters' in connection to darts players when they are unable to let go of the arrows. I am sure it happens in other sports. Heaven forbid a hammer thrower not letting go. Those 32 gram shells in a side by side with a short sleeved shirt on would cause anyone to flinch.

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:56, JDog said:

I think you are referring to the 'stutters' in connection to darts players when they are unable to let go of the arrows. I am sure it happens in other sports. Heaven forbid a hammer thrower not letting go. Those 32 gram shells in a side by side with a short sleeved shirt on would cause anyone to flinch.

Yesterday I went on another Pea field that I had shot a few times purely to show willing as the shooting had been poor . with all this hot weather the Peas are well in pod but only very small Peas in the pods , one advantage of the dry , hot weather is the Peas have gone flat in a lot of places and the pigeons have been working on them all the week in smallish numbers .

After the flinching episode during the week I thought I would try a slightly heavier side by side , the plan was putting a 28grm in the right barrel and the Super game 32grms in the left , in theory a good idea , in practice a rubbish idea , several times I left the first shot to late as the bright sun and the grass was affecting my eyes ( as good excuse as any ), and then I was reluctant to shoot for fear of damaging the pigeons to sell on .

Anyhow , I didn't shoot that good but overall I didn't shoot that bad, I had three cartridges left out of two boxes and picked up 31 , I could have shot the last three shells with no trouble as it was only just gone five pm but when I fired the two previous shots I had another disaster , when I opened the gun the extractor on the right barrel slipped over the empty shell , so I couldn't close the gun with the empty still in the breech .

Still , a nice afternoon and when I got home I undone the small screw where the extractor rod was underneath the breech block and got the empty out with a cleaning rod , now already for the next session which could well be tomorrow as my wife is going out with her friends , hard ole life for some , with my wife out means I have got to do my own sandwiches and feed and water the dog ? 

4 hours ago, marsh man said:

Yesterday I went on another Pea field that I had shot a few times purely to show willing as the shooting had been poor . with all this hot weather the Peas are well in pod but only very small Peas in the pods , one advantage of the dry , hot weather is the Peas have gone flat in a lot of places and the pigeons have been working on them all the week in smallish numbers .

After the flinching episode during the week I thought I would try a slightly heavier side by side , the plan was putting a 28grm in the right barrel and the Super game 32grms in the left , in theory a good idea , in practice a rubbish idea , several times I left the first shot to late as the bright sun and the grass was affecting my eyes ( as good excuse as any ), and then I was reluctant to shoot for fear of damaging the pigeons to sell on .

Anyhow , I didn't shoot that good but overall I didn't shoot that bad, I had three cartridges left out of two boxes and picked up 31 , I could have shot the last three shells with no trouble as it was only just gone five pm but when I fired the two previous shots I had another disaster , when I opened the gun the extractor on the right barrel slipped over the empty shell , so I couldn't close the gun with the empty still in the breech .

Still , a nice afternoon and when I got home I undone the small screw where the extractor rod was underneath the breech block and got the empty out with a cleaning rod , now already for the next session which could well be tomorrow as my wife is going out with her friends , hard ole life for some , with my wife out means I have got to do my own sandwiches and feed and water the dog ? 

I never worry about hitting pigeons too hard. If you think about it too much, you end up missing. I get some good balls of feathers at times, especially with closer birds, but the game dealer doesn't reject many at all.

10 hours ago, JDog said:

Do your own sandwiches. You are hard done by MM.

I am glad you agree Mr Jdog , it is either that or starving , and with me being nearly 14 stone I cant afford to lose any weight, as a footnote , Saturday morning I went round my daughters and all last week I have had a loose tooth , this started to get on my nerves with it wobbling about in my mouth so I gave it a yank and pulled it out , when I showed her my tooth she said I wasn't human , I said it was either that or spending £40 odd quid at the dentist , maybe , just maybe she is right ☺️ 

8 hours ago, motty said:

I never worry about hitting pigeons too hard. If you think about it too much, you end up missing. I get some good balls of feathers at times, especially with closer birds, but the game dealer doesn't reject many at all.

I fully agree with what you are saying , I have got a standing order to provide the pub with 40 pigeons each week so I try to pick out the decent ones and freeze any surplus for the game dealer and as you say they have never turned any away for being hit to hard.

I wouldn't normally use 32grms but if any cartridges come up for sale on P W and they are fairly local then I will buy them , the last ones I bought off a member in Norwich were 500 Hull Super Fast , 500 Black Gold and about 300 mixed clay and game cartridges , I have still got the Black Gold and overall I found I got better averages with the Hull Super Fast than any of the other shells , in fact I am buying a couple of slabs from the gun shop in Yarmouth this morning as I have got two hammer guns that deserve a outing and those shells would be ideal at 27 grms .