HW 80K (problem)

steve s×s

Hi all, got a almost new 80 in .22 and for the life in me I can't get it to group better than 3 inch at 30 yards , tried different scope and different good pellets rws  ,accupell ect ,moderator on and off, am I missing something any help would be much appreciated.

watching this with interest................

is it possible that as its not new...........someone before you has put an even stronger spring in than is needed.............i suggest you get someone to chrono' it to see what it is throwing out.............should be 11.5-11.8ish...

these are very accurate weapons and if you are getting 3" groups @30 yards resting on a table or on the car....something is definatly not right...my old 30 year old hw77 can get 10mm groups all day long at 30 yards benchrested on the landrover bonnet.................

chrono' it first...........

Edited by ditchman

exactly as ditchy says. Had one years ago and the last tool to own it put in a ox spring. Kicked and shook and had roughly 3-4" groups. 

I'm not knocking it's capacity to receive a square spring, these were designed I believe to be 16ftlb anyway, but choose decent internals (not a ox spring) , polish it all up and youll have a sweet shooter. Should easily get a inch at 30 yards. 

Btw chrono it before and after. 

Seem to recall that Germany restricts Air Rifles to 6ft/lb strimmer_16. As for your 80 - feed it AA Field as they are pretty consistent, replace the scope with a different one and make sure that the mounts are located with the arrester pin in place, if it's new then it might need several hundred rounds to settle down, get someone else to shoot the gun and make sure it's not "user error". Where do the pellets impact? Is it a vertical string or simply no consistency at all?

Thanks for all replys don't think its been messed with ,probably under power imho ,guy who sold it said slug on slug 25 yards but i think he had same problem anyhow i would like to keep,if power is down would a timbum kit sort it? Just like to add been shooting spring guns since iron age.

Edited by steve s×s

33 minutes ago, steve s×s said:

Thanks for all replys don't think its been messed with ,probably under power imho ,guy who sold it said slug on slug 25 yards but i think he had same problem anyhow i would like to keep,if power is down would a timbum kit sort it? Just like to add been shooting spring guns since iron age.

Check to see if the barrel is bent.

Guest cookoff013

have it opened up and change the spring. i bought new 80s and 97 and the springs were butcherd from factory. buy a venom kit. worked on my 97 and 80 (the 80 was exellent afterwards)

First things to check ... (Sorry if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs here)

Are the scope mounts tightened correctly ? (If fitted)

If no scope, is the fore-sight element moving within the fore-sight ?

Is the scope reticule moving from shot to shot ?

Is the rifle fitted with a sound moderator? If so, Is it secured properly and is it straight. Pellets may be 'clipping' it as they pass through it otherwise.

If no moderator, then check to see if the barrel crown has been damaged.

Any of these will badly effect accuracy and are all more likely than the rifle spitting pellets hither and thither because of a change in mainspring whatever pellets you feed it with. 3" groups at 30 yds is acceptable with a catapult, but just about any .22 pellets will group better than that through just about any decent air rifle.

Hi all ,just an up date ,hw 80 now sorted new one piece mount, good bushnell scope,but i think the biggest prob was oil i reckon it found its way into the system,i kept getting faint smell,put on some picts last 5 shots in the red,anyhow have fallen out with gun now so up for SALE. forgot to say this site is BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!

20180630_152133.jpg

20180630_152413.jpg

20180630_152324.jpg

Edited by steve s×s

don't sell it mate that looks to be in ace condition. Also seriously, if you learn to shoot accurately with one of those and get the hold right, and tighten those groupings, any other kind of air rifle you'll be lethal with. You've probably got one of the best break barrels there apart from the hw99 imho. 

Stick with it, wait till the dieseling stops and have some fun. :good:

is that freestanding or rested....................if it is rested there is something seriously wrong....you say it is desieling ?........so some muppet has decieded to give it a good oil then ???.......get it cleaned ..serviced...then fire it......those HW's dont fire around courners...they fire straight

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/06/2018 at 21:54, steve s×s said:

Hi all, got a almost new 80 in .22 and for the life in me I can't get it to group better than 3 inch at 30 yards , tried different scope and different good pellets rws  ,accupell ect ,moderator on and off, am I missing something any help would be much appreciated.

Problem now well shorted,got an AA s200 10 shot in .177 almost one hole groups,if u miss with this your a numty