Only a matter of time

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

You recommend the Super Game then?

Either of the latter two suit my needs, but the Super Game has the edge because both guns weigh in at 6&1/2 lbs - although as hinted, I've not yot shot the second gun -  and the recoil is such that you're not quite sure whether you pulled the trigger or not.

One thing to note perhaps is that in my experience the Tables lie. It seems to me that whatever choke the spread at 20 yards would suggest, when you get out to the 40 yard mark, this has opened up one full notch.

22 hours ago, motty said:

I

If you are that bothered, stop wasting your energy on me, and start emailing all the cartridges companies to stop production of plastic wad shells. I mean, it's such an issue, they're bound to stop. Right?

Don't be such a hypocrite!

Not stop, no, but Gamebore and Hull have listened and released fibre versions of previously recently released plastic only wads (extreme pigeon and Sporting 100 respectively) whilst people still buy plastic companies will still sell to them.

2 hours ago, stagboy said:

I WILL get shot down for this but it needs exposing, due to Motty and the other Norfolk lads shooting all the pigeons there are none left to carry messages so now they use plastic wads and the power of the sea to communicate....True Story ? 

1 hour ago, Ttfjlc said:

I WILL get shot down for this but it needs exposing, due to Motty and the other Norfolk lads shooting all the pigeons there are none left to carry messages so now they use plastic wads and the power of the sea to communicate....True Story ? 

I think you need some sea/salt Air to freshen you're Brain up ??

9 hours ago, Fen tiger said:

Would cattle eat plaswads grassing? i have  seen wads where they have been feeding and when they move off the wads are still there.

Spot on Fen Tiger.

a area I've shot for 45+ yes has always had Cattle on unless really flooded. 

I will admit I've seen the odd chewed one and the several Farmers I've spoke to who farm cattle say they split them out.

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Spot on Fen Tiger.

a area I've shot for 45+ yes has always had Cattle on unless really flooded. 

I will admit I've seen the odd chewed one and the several Farmers I've spoke to who farm cattle say they split them out.

That is how i see it and if you think about it cows look to chew stuff quite throughly so coming up against a springy wad they would do just as you say spit them out.

I think this whole plas wad deal is created out of a whole lot of ill informed dreamed up trouble that does not  exist other than in some over vivid imaginations. But that said there is no reason not to supose that some sort of  plas wad legislation wont be imposed, history proves you dont necessarily need hard facts to bring about changes legislation when talking shotgun ammunition.

12 hours ago, spot on said:

you guys sure do get riled up ...bring back the good old days when all cartridges were paper and the wads were fibre ..oh the smell of a fresh opened box of varnished grand prix MEMORIES

Absolutely agree, something very special about the smell of a fresh box of paper varnished cartridges.......along with the aroma of Youngs '303" that hit you the second you entered the gun shop!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2018 at 13:25, turbo33 said:

I would imagine its only a matter of time before plastic wads are taboo. The recent drive to rid the world of plastic will not see us with a special dispensation to continue using them I'm sure.

Plastic wads still seem to dominate the cartridge market, especially in 410. Most clay grounds round here are fibre only and its just common sense to me, to use fibre for shooting where livestock are likely to graze. Also, lets not forget, that shooting over farmland, is still some someones property and theres no excuse for leaving empty plastic shells behind and logically the same would apply to plastic wads.

My point to this is, following on from Cookoff's post developing fibre loads. Great idea Cooky, and maybe something that reloaders should mull over. I load 12g,20g and 410 all fibre, and they never disappoint me with their performance. 

But not in a progressive machine?

On 29/06/2018 at 18:34, stevo said:

Haha ? 

After the help you gave me with the Eley Superbs, should have mentioned this but forgot - my apologies. Thought I'd cracked it with your help as the 7&1/2s were fine. Never mind what the Eley hawk website says, just try to get the 7s in 28g fibre.:ninja:

I suppose it's to stop shooters using them for pigeon/game in an attempt to get them to buy their game range.

On 01/07/2018 at 00:33, spot on said:

.oh the smell of a fresh opened box of varnished grand prix MEMORIES

Gosh, I can remember that smell! Forgotten all about it. I can also remember umming and aahing about pushing a swollen one into the chamber, wondering if I'd get it out again...