What was the 1st steam engine to do 100mph?

timmytree

This is credited to the Flying Scotsman but actually thats not true. Lets see how many people have been taken in by written history instead of the truth. Just as a clue, the locomotive involved didn't only set a steam train record, I believe it also broke the land speed record at the same time.

Just now, Scully said:

Mmm....interesting; I would also have said Mallard class. I grew up think it was the Sir Nigel Gressly.  It would seem there are many things in history attributed falsely.  

The record was logged but not publically claimed because railway management weren't sure of the public reaction. 

On 28/06/2018 at 14:58, timmytree said:

Well done, Year and speed?

Bit of research reveals the City of Truro's speed was never verified!.........and is disputed by many.........The Flying Scotsman was the first authenticated loco to reach a speed in excess of 100mph.

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 15:06, Scully said:

Mmm....interesting; I would also have said Mallard class. I grew up think it was the Sir Nigel Gressly.  It would seem there are many things in history attributed falsely.  

That also goes for the history of gun makers and the gun trade .

Feltwad

my bruv started work way back when Noah was in nappies at Rose Groves sheds in Burnley as a lad cleaning the ash pans out on steamers ,he then progressed to raising steam and hence to fireman at 16 years old often talked of DOUBLE HEADING the cement train over SHAP summit..he then went 2nd man on the Deltics ending up on the London_Brighton mail train ..his greatest claim to fame was raising steam on THE SCOTSMAN one night whilst it was in London.although he was pig sick his mate moved it without him on the plate ...he has a photo somewhere of him getting steam up that night

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Bit of research reveals the City of Truro's speed was never verified!.........and is disputed by many.........The Flying Scotsman was the first authenticated loco to reach a speed in excess of 100mph.

I'll go by the opinion of the National Railway Museum which gives the first 100mph to the City of Truro, not Mallard or the Scotsman.

many years ago when I lived in Clitheroe my bruv and I did rabbit control on Lord Clitheroes Downham hall estate and the Gisburn Park estate which had the Clitheroe -Hellifield -Long Preston branch line running through them .we were out one day with the keeper taking a short cut by a single track viaduct that spanned the valley  when a gurt great steamer entered the viaduct we had to use the linesmans refuges as the train went by ,,pretty sure that engine was the Gresley on a day trip excursion,,, you never realise how huge those engines were until one passes you ground level and close enough to touch